Personal View site logo
Official GX1 hack development topic
  • 363 Replies sorted by
  • Until there is a fix for mp4 modes GalaXian v3 won't be finished.

• the GX1 is now $199 and not having manual video is what is keeping me from buying it

@djhessler I just went ahead and bought one anyway last week (first think I'll do is hack it! Once it arrives, takes a while to get to New Zealand). When it is that cheap, why not?

I'll just keep my fingers crossed that manual controls becomes available in the future, and even if it doesn't the GX1 is a great second camera for me, for many uses such as just a normal everyday "always with me" camera that isn't as big and bulky as the GH series is.

• @driftwood were there any updates to the AVCHD side of things since V2? Would it be possible to get those updates? Like a V2.1? I understand that you don't want to release a whole new version if it isn't complete but I can live without mp4 changes for awhile. Thanks as always for your ongoing work!

• Hi everyone. I posted some GX1 issues on the 3.66 thread so I'm reposting it here.

I am using U.S. version GX1 (NTSC) and like many of you pointed out the 'video out' menu is turned on by the hack but greyed out and non functional.

I also had other kind of problems. I mainly shoot with 1080p mp4 mode, and whenever I increase the bitrate more than 23mbps the camera loses ability to 'view or playback' movie files. Camera freezes whenever I try to select a movie file - any movie files, regardless of their bitrate - when recording bitrate is set to higher than 23 and it forces me to take the battery out to reboot. Camera can still shoot higher bitrate, except for when the SD card fails to catch up, and recorded video is playable on a computer. I just can't access videos on camera without freezing it. Hopefully this problem would be resolved by the next release.

Like many people here I am immensely grateful for the existence of the hack tool, and appreciate the continuing development. Tools like ptool or magic lantern for Canon cameras give users the true value that are often held back by the corporations. Thank you.

• I posted a video with 30Mbps MP4 GX1 footage on my youtube channel, here is the link:

Note: Youtube brings down bitrate after process 1080p videos to 6-8Mbps, so the quality will not be the same when you watch it, also, no embedding of my videos are allowed, if link doesn't work, watch it directly on youtube, just copy and paste...

• @gk5 Thanks for posting the video. Even on Youtube it looks pretty good. Crisper look than normal DSLR videos I am used to.

A few questions if I may. Was it shot on mp4 or avchd mode? What was the exact setting you used for bitrate? (30000000?) And lastly, were you able to view your movie files on camera once you applied high bitrate ?

Thanks

• I have a new GX1. It came with 1.1 firmware. I downloaded 1.1 from the pany website and loaded it into PTool. Entered 2 as version increment. Checked the desired patches and saved as GX1__V12.bin. Copied that to the SD card root. Opening Body Version Up on the camera the version displayed is 1.1. (Should it read V1.2 at this point?) It does allow me to run Version Up, Upon completion and then checking the firmware version in Set Up it remains at 1.1. The camera seems to ignore v12.bin on the SD card. When it's finished running Version Up nothing has changed. I have read all that I can find. Could you please point me in a direction? I will donate substantially if I can get this working. Thanks.

• Version number don't change. It will show as v1.1 after hack. Version increment is internal counter that allows to update camera. Your patches should be applied.

• Is a hacked GX1 capable of taking still pictures? Is it possible to un-hack the GX1?

I'd like to try 30mbps .mp4, but I'm also nervous about turning my great new camera into a brick.

• Your camera will behave just like stock camera, instead of hacked functions & parameters change, so you will be able to shoot photos as well.. if you want to make it stock, just load firmware and dont check any options instead of version increment. Update and your GX1 is at stock firmware

• Thanks to Vitaliy and JOFO for your responses. The flash did indeed work. With recommended settings in patches I get a message telling me the San Disk Extreme 32GB cannot keep up when shooting AVCHD FSH. I just ordered an Extreme Pro 64GB which as many of you know is double the write speed. Maybe I should lower the settings but I'll wait until the new card comes. I just donated and will keep in touch. Thanks again.

• Can I use PTool with Sanity 5.1 parameters on GX1?

• @darrbee

Use Sanity 5.1 settings topic for such questions, as I have no idea.

• I do not wish to waste anyone's time. As this is a "GX1 hack development" thread may I ask if there is a known list of settings for PTool or a compiled .ini file that have brought the best out of the GX1? Or am I best to go with suggested bit rates in PTool and consider it finished? I do not know where else to post this question as most seem concerned with GH2.

• I would personally go with driftwoods GalaXian for now. Great quality for MP4. Cant wait for the playback fix and V3!

• Recently hacked my GX1 and loving the increased bitrate. Seems like it made a big difference, to my eyes at least. Here's a quick test I shot the other day. Everything before the text is unhacked footage, and everything after is hacked footage. Using driftwoods GalaXian and a Nikkor 50mm 1.4D.

• Guys, I ended up buying the GX1 and I love it, it's compact and I can finally fit it in a small bag, but my Question is, IS THERE ANY WAY TO LOCK ISO APETURE SHUTTER DURING VIDEO RECORDING? I kind of wish I could at least lock it once I hit record or something, anyone?

• I don't think this has been answered before, but is there a way to enable ex tele setting with 1080p video on the GX1. I know this is available on the GH2 but for some reason it is disabled on the GX1. Thanks.

• @newgx1 Yeah, I haven't been able to use it either. Would be really great, but it is just greyed out now.

• here is my second HD video with GX1 footage of 30 Mbps MP4 bitrate, I've tested the camera since April and it works fine, I did 5 different PTools loads till I decided to keep MP4 30Mbps ... new GF6 has only 26... don't hung up on these numbers too much... I noticed depends on what I filmed, some clips have lower max bitrate, especially with blurry background(shallow depth of field)... I only wish one thing to have in my camera controllable Aperture settings in video but iA mode works just fine! I hope you enjoy my video:

• djhessler: it's not possible as GX1 don't have manual video mode. VK is working on hack which could enable manual controls but at the moment it's not possible. If you want manual controls then only way is buying GH2. I did it too and it was worth it. Video quality on GH2 is unbeatable in that price range :)

• I have a GX1 mostly to use it with manual lenses, then I wish to know if there is a patch or hack which includes "focus peaking" to help manual focus? Thank you in advance and sorry for my poor English.-

• I bought a GX1 in japan -any idea how the language can be changed to English ?

• Hack should do the trick.. Although for G3 and GH2 works