Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Ok... So essentially my 25mm Summilux will be a 58mm on this vs the 50mm shot on Gh2 and the 14mm is a 32 vs being a 28mm on the GH2. I can live with that

• IDK... 30% is more than you think. The crop on the GH3 vs the GH2 is only like 10% or something [I can't remember the actual number which would be a 1.1 crop], and it's very noticeable. So triple that. See below link for visual comparison.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/102358#Comment_102358

• Still a lot of confusion here on the crop factors. Here are the camera sensor diagonals:

• BMPCC: 14.32 mm

• GH2: 21.41 mm

• GH3: 19.83 mm

• Full-frame: 43.23 mm

To convert from camera A to camera B, take B's diagonal divided by A's diagonal and multiply that result by the lens focal length and f-number.

Converting from the BMPCC to a full-frame camera, multiply by 43.23/14.32, or 3. E.g. a 25 mm f/1.4 lens attached to the BMPCC is equivalent to a 75 mm f/4.2 lens attached to a full-frame camera in terms of diagonal angle of view, depth of field, and light gathering ability.

Converting from the BMPCC to the GH2, multiply by 21.41/14.32, or 1.5. E.g., a 25 mm f/1.4 lens attached to a BMPCC is equivalent to a 37 mm f/2.1 lens attached to a GH2.

• No, jason. It's not additive. I was wrong to say 2.3 that's inaccurate. A 1.3 crop over m43, is the difference in FOV between a 35mm lens and a 50mm lens [generally speaking]

• @balazer that's confusing. And kinda backwards. Your verbiage makes the 25mm wider on the BM than on Full frame, it's the other way around.

A 25mm full frame lens (Canon, Nikon, Zeiss, Voightlander, etc.) would be a 75mm on the BMD. [in terms of FOV]

A 25mm m43 lens (Panny, Olypmus, etc.) would be a 37mm on BMD.

• So let me make sure I get this...if my 25mm leica summilux m43 would be a 37mm on BMPC it would look the same FOV-wise as a 72mm lens on a full frame... basically taking my "standard 50mm shot" FOV-wise and turning it into a a tighter 72mm shot FOVwise....

Which translates to >keep my GH2 for the wide shots cause the crop factor blows----in a nut shell.

• Wiki says: "2K represents the horizontal resolution because there are numerous aspect ratios used in film. " So The BMPCC, as all other HD Cameras is to be correctly called 1080p. just take the 2k from the title. :)

• @kodakmoment if s16 lenses dont cover sensor i cant see any sense in this choice of sensor size...

• if s16 lenses dont cover sensor i cant see any sense in this choice of sensor size...

Now, suppose that they left same active sensor areas as in BMCC, who'll buy it?

• Here you can get an idea of the supposed FOV with different lenses:

• @johnnym Thx man

Would a fish eye like the Rokinon 8.5mm still be distorted?

• As much as a 24mm, i think. But i'm curious to see some footage with one, too.

• i get that.but why not deactivate more and to get true s16 or smaller. so youre able to use s16 lenses on s16 camera?

• but why not deactivate more and to get true s16 or smaller. so youre able to use s16 lenses on s16 camera?

You just can't, it is already pixel to pixel mode.

• @feonn, wow check out that moiré at 0:37

• Hmmmm....sad. sensor shouldn t be referd to as s16 by bm then.

• @Oedipax

Moire is greatly exaggerated due to being cropped out of the full image. I should probably put that in the "READ ME" section, just thought it was self explanatory. >.<

• Super 16 camera aperture: 14.55 mm diagonal

• Super 16 projector aperture: 13.73 mm diagonal

• BMPCC active sensor area: 14.32 mm diagonal

Lenses generally cover the full camera aperture. In any case it's not a huge difference.

• @No_SuRReNDeR - A fisheye cropped to a smaller sensor will still look distorted. Think a lens with very bad barrel distortion. It could be corrected in post, but I can't think of any reason why you'd use that Rokinon fisheye lens on this camera, when you can get native MFT glass that is equally wide and is not fisheye, or better yet, much faster and much cheaper C-mount glass.

@hank S-16 lenses do cover this sensor. Old 16mm lenses don't. 16mm and Super-16 are not the same thing.

• I made this quick pic for crop reference several pages ago.

GH2_BMPC_Crop.jpg
    1900 x 1050 - 66K
  • this camera + helios? slick look or what?

• In relation to Balazer's comment on the light gathering capability,

It sounds new to me, if the amount of light would differ, if 35mm camera lens was attached to a 16mm format camera body. I have always thought, that the T-value (f-stop) remains the same. Is there any other comments on the issue over here?

The other thing is, that with Zeiss 16mm camera lenses the sharpness (and therefore the character of the lens) is optimized for the 16mm. If you use a 35mm cinecamera's lens (the same PL mount) with 16mm, you might loose some sharpness. The bokeh on the other hand, might look better.

Am I wrong or right?

• @balazer And don't forget Super 16 is 1.66.

Mostly we extract 1.78 or 1.85 FROM that when shooting Super 16 (smaller again)

jb