Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Hi, I ordered one of these because I have shot very much with super 16 - the depth of field and fields of view will be comfortable to me. And again - for pure fun and adventure.

• Do u think the price will go up when it starts shipping?

• I think maybe one for the free version that came out this month. Yes, it is free to download and apparently works on 1080p footage.

• @DailyFilmFix thanks for the "like"

@bannedindv thanks for the overview, will watch after downloading the software.

• Make sure you have a cuda card!

• @dailyfilmfix - Hey buddy - check out my basic overview on Resolve 9 here:

• Downloading DaVinci Resolve Lite right now... it's free.

• I think I will download this software and take a look, is it a free software?...

Just an advice: be careful with the Van Gogh Preset because it works as a life insurance for your children:

"Van Gogh Preset: you will be famous after you die"

• I think we should open a DaVinci Lite thread. I downloaded it but haven't had a chance to figure out how to put footage into it. Anyone tried it?

• Apefos - If there were a "like" button here, I would like that post. But really, having a preset to apply to footage is critical. Thank goodness that Apple brought back the paste attributes option in an update to FCPX!

• @stanlymanly2 thanks for your words!

• LOL again!

I think I will buy this camera to develop some DaVinci presets to sell online and become a very rich man!

Best sellers will be:

"Alexa preset: your bunch looks like Hollywood"

"Red Epic preset: your cheap actress looks like Angelina Jolie"

"Sony F5 preset: Your cat looks like Phillip Bloom's cat"

Maybe I can have some luck with:

"Andy Warhol preset: turn yourself into a media pop star"

Strawberry Fields Forever Preset: you do not need drugs to get high"

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Just imagine all those crazy-colored HDR-videos of the cats we can enjoy thanks to 13 stop of DR ;-)

• "And bunch of topics ala Please tell me some DaVinci preset so my bush will look like it was shot on Alexa."

LOL!

• when all hobbyist cinematographers start shooting raw and get into the grading business

Yep. and bunch of topics ala "Please tell me some DaVinci preset so my bush will look like it was shot on Alexa".

• YES!

Raw is not about getting perfect natural look or natural colors, it is also about getting "whatever you want" look and colors.

I start to imagine what Andy Warhol, Van Gogh, August Macke, Edvard Munch and all others would do with this crazy little moving image thing... and, why not... The Beatles: Strawberry Fields Forever!

• the world will be a much better pop-art-expressionism place to live in when all hobbyist cinematographers start shooting raw and get into the grading business :)

• @apefos

thats the hard part about filming. if you have time its easy to set up and get all the configuration right. but me being a wedding filmmaker, its run and gun all day. then sometimes not all cameras have the right white balance and all and its tough to correct them in post. having the flexibility of 10bit or compressed raw is very helpful and i look forward to using it.

try not to get into filmmaking knowing about specs and such. like a lot will say, story telling and cinematography will beat camera specs no matter what. as an editor and colourist, specs will always be enticing delicious because we see a lot of the benefits of higher codecs. good luck in your film travels!

• So, do we have the specs on the number of minutes of Pro Res HQ per GB of SD card?

I use the Sandisk Extreme cards in my hacked GH1s. But I have used the Transcend in the past without incident. Just use class 10.

For me, we shoot interviews that average around 45 minutes or more, so, for doc work Pro Res is the way to go. And the color space would be awesome in post. If I did the switch over to BMPC, I might buy two so that I could run two cameras with different focal lengths. That's how I shot this last doc and while set-ups are a pain, the options in post make it all worth it.

Also, I suspect that the flat profile on the BMPC would be flat, flat, unlike what you get out of DSLR.

• @apefos: No need to wait for 2TB SDXC cards... If you're shooting carefully planned narrative projects, I think you should be able to get by with just a few 64gb or 128gb cards just fine, even in RAW. Documentary-style projects might be a completely different story, though... for that perhaps ProRes might be a better compromise.

• I can remember the wow factor I had when editing my first raw photograph and thought I will never use compressed jpg settings again... It will be endless more fun grading

• I understood!

So it is like no way to do mistakes with 8bit 4:2:0 codecs on shooting, you need to be perfect on shooting to get what you want just to do MINOR teaks in post if needed.

Considering BluRay and Web Streaming are 8bit 4:2:0 compressed, If I learn how to be perfect on shooting maybe I can get a good approach to BMPC using DSLR... Or, at least, I will learn how to be a bettter RAW shooter when I get one...

I confess I am a newbie in image grading but I learn fast when I start to study, and I use to experiment and learn in a scientific way... So I have a homework to do before consider the BMPC.

Anyway I will need to wait until the SDXC 2TB cards become available and some time to get price drops...

• @apefos It's the difference between jpeg and RAW photo, even a bit more due to GOP compression. So, a huge difference if you want to recover a overexposed scene or a dark one or a white balance gone wrong.

• this camera is much better than si2k ... and some people won oscars shooting on si2k ..