Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • the world will be a much better pop-art-expressionism place to live in when all hobbyist cinematographers start shooting raw and get into the grading business :)

• YES!

Raw is not about getting perfect natural look or natural colors, it is also about getting "whatever you want" look and colors.

I start to imagine what Andy Warhol, Van Gogh, August Macke, Edvard Munch and all others would do with this crazy little moving image thing... and, why not... The Beatles: Strawberry Fields Forever!

• when all hobbyist cinematographers start shooting raw and get into the grading business

Yep. and bunch of topics ala "Please tell me some DaVinci preset so my bush will look like it was shot on Alexa".

• "And bunch of topics ala Please tell me some DaVinci preset so my bush will look like it was shot on Alexa."

LOL!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Just imagine all those crazy-colored HDR-videos of the cats we can enjoy thanks to 13 stop of DR ;-)

• LOL again!

I think I will buy this camera to develop some DaVinci presets to sell online and become a very rich man!

Best sellers will be:

"Alexa preset: your bunch looks like Hollywood"

"Red Epic preset: your cheap actress looks like Angelina Jolie"

"Sony F5 preset: Your cat looks like Phillip Bloom's cat"

Maybe I can have some luck with:

"Andy Warhol preset: turn yourself into a media pop star"

Strawberry Fields Forever Preset: you do not need drugs to get high"

• @stanlymanly2 thanks for your words!

• Apefos - If there were a "like" button here, I would like that post. But really, having a preset to apply to footage is critical. Thank goodness that Apple brought back the paste attributes option in an update to FCPX!

• I think we should open a DaVinci Lite thread. I downloaded it but haven't had a chance to figure out how to put footage into it. Anyone tried it?

• I think I will download this software and take a look, is it a free software?...

Just an advice: be careful with the Van Gogh Preset because it works as a life insurance for your children:

"Van Gogh Preset: you will be famous after you die"

• Downloading DaVinci Resolve Lite right now... it's free.

• @dailyfilmfix - Hey buddy - check out my basic overview on Resolve 9 here:

• Make sure you have a cuda card!

• @DailyFilmFix thanks for the "like"

@bannedindv thanks for the overview, will watch after downloading the software.

• I think maybe one for the free version that came out this month. Yes, it is free to download and apparently works on 1080p footage.

• Do u think the price will go up when it starts shipping?

• Hi, I ordered one of these because I have shot very much with super 16 - the depth of field and fields of view will be comfortable to me. And again - for pure fun and adventure.

• Isn't it funny how we buy a camera for one thousand dollars just for fun? :-)

• @manstok "I can remember the wow factor I had when editing my first raw photograph and thought I will never use compressed .. settings"

yes, and my immense relief at being able to pull usable images out of the shadows...

• Clearly, you have not worked with this sensor. You won't be pulling as much usable data from the shadows as you might think. [edited cuz kholi pointed out my extreme finality of my declarative statement. For once he has a point.] But you will be able to pull from the highlights. Unless BMD has fixed the way they encode the DNGs, you'll want to meter your DR, make sure you can fit it in your 13 stops, make any adjustments lighting wise to do so, and then expose for your shadows.

• @shian

To date, how much Blackmagic footage have you worked with, and how much of it was shot by someone that's spent an extensive amount of time with the camera? Just curious, I haven't been around on the forums much here, but since the announcement I've read a lot of posts from you, it sounds like you've got a lot of hours behind the wheel.

• Enough that by deleting all the DNG files I freed up over 8 TB of drive space last week.

• @shian

Was that from your test?

I'm curious, in a friendly way, because some of what you're saying doesn't actually line up with my experience and most of the people that I know what have been using the camera on a job-to-job basis. Saying that you can't pull any detail from the shadows, I think you may have been short, but if you've worked with enough footage from various shoots and from people that actually understand the tool, I can't imagine you would believe that.

Then again, perhaps it's just "taste" being stated as a fact, which happens.

• I pick up weird red noise patterns if I try to boost the shadows too much. happens in AE, Resolve, and Photoshop. You can get a little back but not as much as you can get back from the highlights. And edited that post to say "not as much as you think"