Personal View site logo
Playstation 4
  • 41 Replies sorted by
  • "enable iPhone, iPad, and Android based smartphones and tablets to become second screens."

That sounds a lot like Apple TV. I'm waiting for Apple to unleash the power of the tiny box. Release SDK and let developers make games and sell through iTunes. Sure XBox and PS are nice. But I'm skeptical about future of console games. Apple TV won't have kick ass graphics, but I just wanna play games on TV other than iPhone and iPad sometimes.

• I would like to see a powerful media console married to a equally powerful gaming platform in a small form factor controlled in enjoyable ways and hiding the OS from the user while at that

You are talking about PC that use ITX MB :-)

• @ppcroft Your dream is new nintendo U then.

• @endotoxic

Hardware is not everything. Just ask Nintendo. You will be surprised to know the people who struggle with something as idiot proof as a PS3.

I would like to see a powerful media console married to a equally powerful gaming platform in a small form factor controlled in enjoyable ways and hiding the OS from the user while at that. Make it well connected wirelessly for universal streaming and controlling and have it play sans proprietary hardware and software. Dreaming :-)

• @GravitateMediaGroup i really think i have more idea than you think about gamin computer and high end hardware. Beeen a computer hardcore entusiast since 6 years old.

PS4 has become a high end chop up PC. There are no grate graphics, none than i havnt see on a pc before. I really hoped the new hardware be future proof, but the only shit i see "future" is the GPGPU "instructions" that is not really WOW

wow WAS the cell processor and what thet did try to achive. I didt work but thisPS4 hardware almost is like having a mini ITX board wit a good core i5 5500k and an ATI videocard.

i can almost build ps4 is i was given its Os linux bases system, damm even better PS4 with actual hardware i found on wallmart LOL

• Previous console versions required significant investments, and porting to PC required also good money that is not the case with uncoming consoles.

Yes, developing for all platforms simultaneously will be much much easier than it is now.

Nevertheless, an exclusive will be just that. There are plenty of developers like Naughty Dog that make platform-specific games and it's hardly gonna change. Obviously they make good enough deals with Sony/Microsoft to allow themselves to focus on developing for one platform only.

• As for PS3 and BD play. Good BD player is cheaper and more useful. I just do not know why you need one.

A decent BD player used to cost more than the PS3 itself and they got outdated even faster. Buying into PS3 meant I had almost updated version of BD player/average media player at all times while being an excellent gaming machine. Things have since changed, but for a gadget to hold onto its own for 6-7 years merits applause.

• Plus, mainly because of PC piracy, developers/publishers make most of the money on console versions anyway.

Previous console versions required significant investments, and porting to PC required also good money that is not the case with uncoming consoles.

If PS4 comes with 4K playback, this has the ability to be future proof budget 4K player

Graphics cards already allow to play 4K videos. No need for PS4 for this.

As for PS3 and BD play. Good BD player is cheaper and more useful. I just do not know why you need one.

• Hmm..call me old. I still love the PS3 fat. It is one gadget that has refused to become obsolete. One gadget that has been worth money paid multiple times. Sad it did not get the attention it deserved at least initially and ended up a second to it peers.. I have Wii at home gathering dust and PS3 is still actively used as a BD player and gaming console.

If PS4 comes with 4K playback, this has the ability to be future proof budget 4K player. Allowing playing off the hard disk will mean it will not be as limited as PS3 was with BD. Throw in IP control, Apps ecosystem and stop crippling the system in the hope of selling accessories and software, it could still be a interesting.

• Well, I'm afraid it's a bit more complicated than that:) Plus, mainly because of PC piracy, developers/publishers make most of the money on console versions anyway.

• Yes, except for exclusives that make the whole thing worthwhile.

It is big problem with exclusives now, as architecture is same as PC, nothing can stop guys to make PC version to make more money :-)

• Today you can get better PC for not much really. And later play much cheaper for games.

Yes, except for exclusives that make the whole thing worthwhile.

• X86 CPU - 8 cores

Just note that it is cheap and slow AMD cores, slower than in A10 CPU that is common for very cheap notebooks.

Enhanced PC GPU - 2 teraflops

To be precise, it is same as old rebranded from previous year Radeon 7760, hence below any good graphics card.

8 GB RAM - GDDR5

They doubled RAM comparing to developers machines, but 8GB is still not much as it'll be used for all. Plus CPU and bus, most probably, will be not wide.

Local HDD

As far as I remember rumors, it is cheapest 160GB HDD. Placing HDD in modern console is bad idea.

New controller and stereo camera

Both made using new approach used for everything now - make things cheap.

To be short. Today you can get better PC for not much really. And later play much cheaper for games. Plus you can play any old game that you can get for $1 on sales, contrary to PS4 that still can't do it (they had vague talk about streaming, sadly it won't happen).

• haha again the same bull as with ps3 presentation: cinematics and a few gameplay vids from a pc. I fear nothing is real time, nothing is ready, and most of these games (except killzone and watchdogs) will never come out.

I am sure it'll have good graphics but these videos are to be taken with a grain of salt. Here's marketing for you.

• @endotoxic

was you expecting a holographic game console?

do you even know what you are looking for?

have you ever played killzone on a ps3?

• dont see any fancy graphics