Personal View site logo
Playstation 4
    • Supercharged PC Architecture
    • X86 CPU - 8 cores
    • Enhanced PC GPU - 2 teraflops
    • 8 GB RAM - GDDR5
    • Local HDD

And of course.....

"A new application from SCE called "PlayStation®App" will enable iPhone, iPad, and Android based smartphones and tablets to become second screens. Once installed on these devices, users can, for example, see maps on their second screens when playing an adventure game, purchase PS4 games while away from home and download it directly to the console at home, or remotely watch other gamers playing on their devices."

There are several demo videos online. I found this one pretty interesting.

Via: http://technabob.com/blog/2013/02/20/sony-ps4-specs-games-announced/

• 41 Replies sorted by
  • dont see any fancy graphics

• @endotoxic

was you expecting a holographic game console?

do you even know what you are looking for?

have you ever played killzone on a ps3?

• haha again the same bull as with ps3 presentation: cinematics and a few gameplay vids from a pc. I fear nothing is real time, nothing is ready, and most of these games (except killzone and watchdogs) will never come out.

I am sure it'll have good graphics but these videos are to be taken with a grain of salt. Here's marketing for you.

• X86 CPU - 8 cores

Just note that it is cheap and slow AMD cores, slower than in A10 CPU that is common for very cheap notebooks.

Enhanced PC GPU - 2 teraflops

To be precise, it is same as old rebranded from previous year Radeon 7760, hence below any good graphics card.

8 GB RAM - GDDR5

They doubled RAM comparing to developers machines, but 8GB is still not much as it'll be used for all. Plus CPU and bus, most probably, will be not wide.

Local HDD

As far as I remember rumors, it is cheapest 160GB HDD. Placing HDD in modern console is bad idea.

New controller and stereo camera

Both made using new approach used for everything now - make things cheap.

To be short. Today you can get better PC for not much really. And later play much cheaper for games. Plus you can play any old game that you can get for $1 on sales, contrary to PS4 that still can't do it (they had vague talk about streaming, sadly it won't happen).

• Today you can get better PC for not much really. And later play much cheaper for games.

Yes, except for exclusives that make the whole thing worthwhile.

• Yes, except for exclusives that make the whole thing worthwhile.

It is big problem with exclusives now, as architecture is same as PC, nothing can stop guys to make PC version to make more money :-)

• Well, I'm afraid it's a bit more complicated than that:) Plus, mainly because of PC piracy, developers/publishers make most of the money on console versions anyway.

• Hmm..call me old. I still love the PS3 fat. It is one gadget that has refused to become obsolete. One gadget that has been worth money paid multiple times. Sad it did not get the attention it deserved at least initially and ended up a second to it peers.. I have Wii at home gathering dust and PS3 is still actively used as a BD player and gaming console.

If PS4 comes with 4K playback, this has the ability to be future proof budget 4K player. Allowing playing off the hard disk will mean it will not be as limited as PS3 was with BD. Throw in IP control, Apps ecosystem and stop crippling the system in the hope of selling accessories and software, it could still be a interesting.

• Plus, mainly because of PC piracy, developers/publishers make most of the money on console versions anyway.

Previous console versions required significant investments, and porting to PC required also good money that is not the case with uncoming consoles.

If PS4 comes with 4K playback, this has the ability to be future proof budget 4K player

Graphics cards already allow to play 4K videos. No need for PS4 for this.

As for PS3 and BD play. Good BD player is cheaper and more useful. I just do not know why you need one.

• As for PS3 and BD play. Good BD player is cheaper and more useful. I just do not know why you need one.

A decent BD player used to cost more than the PS3 itself and they got outdated even faster. Buying into PS3 meant I had almost updated version of BD player/average media player at all times while being an excellent gaming machine. Things have since changed, but for a gadget to hold onto its own for 6-7 years merits applause.

• Previous console versions required significant investments, and porting to PC required also good money that is not the case with uncoming consoles.

Yes, developing for all platforms simultaneously will be much much easier than it is now.

Nevertheless, an exclusive will be just that. There are plenty of developers like Naughty Dog that make platform-specific games and it's hardly gonna change. Obviously they make good enough deals with Sony/Microsoft to allow themselves to focus on developing for one platform only.

• @GravitateMediaGroup i really think i have more idea than you think about gamin computer and high end hardware. Beeen a computer hardcore entusiast since 6 years old.

PS4 has become a high end chop up PC. There are no grate graphics, none than i havnt see on a pc before. I really hoped the new hardware be future proof, but the only shit i see "future" is the GPGPU "instructions" that is not really WOW

wow WAS the cell processor and what thet did try to achive. I didt work but thisPS4 hardware almost is like having a mini ITX board wit a good core i5 5500k and an ATI videocard.

i can almost build ps4 is i was given its Os linux bases system, damm even better PS4 with actual hardware i found on wallmart LOL

• @endotoxic

Hardware is not everything. Just ask Nintendo. You will be surprised to know the people who struggle with something as idiot proof as a PS3.

I would like to see a powerful media console married to a equally powerful gaming platform in a small form factor controlled in enjoyable ways and hiding the OS from the user while at that. Make it well connected wirelessly for universal streaming and controlling and have it play sans proprietary hardware and software. Dreaming :-)

• @ppcroft Your dream is new nintendo U then.

• I would like to see a powerful media console married to a equally powerful gaming platform in a small form factor controlled in enjoyable ways and hiding the OS from the user while at that

You are talking about PC that use ITX MB :-)

• "enable iPhone, iPad, and Android based smartphones and tablets to become second screens."

That sounds a lot like Apple TV. I'm waiting for Apple to unleash the power of the tiny box. Release SDK and let developers make games and sell through iTunes. Sure XBox and PS are nice. But I'm skeptical about future of console games. Apple TV won't have kick ass graphics, but I just wanna play games on TV other than iPhone and iPad sometimes.

• I'm gonna just fill you in on a little secret.

No kid under the age of 15 cares about the specs. No fan of CoD, modern warfare, nba2k, or madden NFL care about specs.

To think back at how fast we have moved from an

Atari to PS4.

Car phone to iPhone

Stop motion to 4k

The fact remains that people are never satisfied. Lol

• @subco In what way inaccurate?

• @endotoxic

Your dream is new nintendo U then

Wii U can't even play a Blu ray disc and is limited to 6 channel audio just to name few things that straight away makes it unsuitable as a media player. As a gaming machine it is not cutting edge either.

@Vitaliy you are talking about a PC with ITX MB :)

It is not that the hardware do not exist to support the converhence of a very high quality gaming machine with a high fidelity media player that will play everything. We don't see them implemented unless you are going to hand roll one yourself. What I have in mind something that treats games, music, TV, movies etc. in a similar manner to how Kaleidoscope does for media but with streaming as the primary source of always available content. It calls for a content provider as well. I am going OT here so I will stop the rant:-)

• @subco

The PS3 actually does support mouse and keyboard, but very few games actually allow it. Unreal Tournament (actually even the PS2 versions of UT and Half-Life supported M&KB), CS: GO and Dust 514 are the only ones I can think of. The PS4 will most likely be the third straight Sony console to support standard USB keyboards and mice, hopefully more developers will actually allow you to use them.

I'll probably still stick to PC as well, though.

• @subco We aren't here to discuss "what makes a PC better for gaming than a PS"

I have no interest in PC gaming, and I have a GeForce gtx 690, which is more than capable of running any PC game from now and well into the next 5-10 years.

Console gaming has to keep parts affordable for everyone, not just "hardcore gamers"

• THE FACT IS THIS

new ps4 is highly integrated x86 machine, and a GPU with a direct interconect to cpu on a ITX with propetary LSI running linux.

Its the lest inovative Playstation from the history of the brand, and by fact the lest inovative console in the history of gaming, damm they havnt developed shit. The ram, the cpu, the GPU, they only rebamped the controller, and make a case with propetary moderboard and modified linux. I bet a give a guy like apefos the challenge and i would be surpised by the results using simple parts.

For me this time they are selling Brand name not research. Anyone now can make a much powefull machine in an itx from factor with similar ok...more watts but same or better performance.

• @endotoxic People are giving the "better specs" vote to ps4 over the Xbox 720. So what does this mean if Microsoft (more of a computer company than Sony) doesn't release something better. Not to mention there are rumors of Microsoft selling out their entertainment side of the biz? I don't know how true this is, but they are blaming it on Win 8 doing less than expected.

PC is fully customizable and can be upgraded at any second. So of course it will always have the edge as far as top notch graphics and processor. But I can't picture a few friends setting around drinking beer and smoking weed in front of a 50inch 3d TV "playing PC" lol

• Funny, I was just talking about this with one of my students tonight, who buys all the latest greatest gadgets. I am onboard with VK, PC can do more for less. I own two consoles, an Original Atari, and a Dreamcast. I have played PS3 Gamecube, and Wii, and though the gamecube and Wii hold their own, the PS3 never gave me as much joy as the Dreamcast. I don't give a shit about graphics, just fun. Also I am proud to say I have never owned a BR player, and never missed it, because again there is nothing a PC can't do here without a bunch of plastic discs messing up my house (still have plenty of those for various things). All that being said, I am sure there will be some fanciness to be had with the new system, and some mehness.

• @GravitateMediaGroup

I concur with your reasoning. That's why I think media boxes like AppleTV and JynxBox will take good share of gamers away from Sony/MS/Nintendo. Console games won't die, but I think we've seen their peak.