Personal View site logo
Cluster X: Series 1 - moon - ЅріzZ - nebula - drewnet - Slipstream
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • @GravitateMediaGroup What settings do you normally have your standard picture profile setup to in terms of NR, contrast, saturation and sharpness?

• @inqb8tr no that i think is normal i'm talking about frames "jumping" more than it's supposed to while shooting handheld with a non-stabilizing lens

• I think that's just called "handheld without a stabilizing lens". I've yet to see a patch with purported steadicam properties.

• Since my english is not perfect i don't have the right words to explain but certain hacks reacts differently while shooting handheld

• @Swiss_Boy What shutter speed are you shooting with? And yes, looks like shaky handheld shot at 1/50th shutter.

• @vicharris this video i posted was shot at 1/50th i don't think it was too shaky it was ok

• @swiss_boy all still life hand held is going to look shakey -- in fact, all hand held and even steadicam footage (excepting the very, very very best operators) is shakey, however we are trained to follow humans, so so long as the human remains in frame reasonably, we don't really notice the shakyness/bobbing/etc -- but whenever we no longer have that subject as our reference point, we start to notice the frame moving about. Or that's my two cents. Haven't noticed much difference with any patch, including moon, hand held.

• I agree - a bit too shaky. The shot at 00:35 had great composition though, and the shakiness added to the feel of it (like it belonged in "Winter's Bone").

• @Swiss_Boy Just a suggestion for whatever it means. I know this might go against many peoples rules here but go out and do the same thing with 1/40 or if you can control it well 1/30 shutter! I never shoot 1/50 anymore. It gives that jumping effect you sometimes see for objects. Of course at this shutter speed you really need to concentrate on your balance and camera movements. I used to shoot at 1/50th until a friend who's taught me all I know, whatever that means. told me to try 1/30 shutter for DSLRs. I did and I love it. If I'm moving the camera around a little more I'll bump it to 1/40 but it really helps out.

Sorry for the rambling there. :)

And one another note, I've seen tons of movies and TV shows recently where the footage looks just like this so who's to say!

• @vicharris i also thought about shooting at 1/40 and i will try 1/30 as well but you really gotta do it ouside cause indoor you'll probably get some flickering. And yea nowadays you see handheld/shoulder rig more and more like tripod is old school

• Oh of course, if you have the flickering prob you're set on whatever you can get.

• @lmackreath i'm pretty sure -2 on all, but I will have to double check.

• @GravitateMediaGroup if you could would appreciate it.. Been shooting with standard at 0 across the board and blacks look a little crushed to me and general look seems to video like.

• @Driftwood looks like a winner! Shot a lot of detailed, moving scenes with trial 5 today and loving everything, might be seeing better stuff than trial 3 and nothing of what I didn't like from 4. Nice, thank you.

Here, everyone, is a link to an unedited shot, converted to ProRes 422HQ in 5d2RGB, with lots of detail, on a discovery cam:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46430467/00002.mov

(Shot with kit 14-140, Smooth -2 everything)

• Tried out Blue Moon and I like it. I've never posted a screen grab before. How do you capture on a Mac?

• Screengrabs can be misleading, rather make frame exports wit MPEG Streamclip,

• @nomad Yep, much better idea but just letting him know how to do it anyways :)

• @driftwood. Nick, I tested Moon trial 5 with Panasonic 14-140 lens and Sandisk 64GB 95mb card, using outdoor shots. All modes work and have great quality except SH/H fail after a few seconds. In my experience, 720p using 3GOP has always been problematic. So I am going to use trial 4 sharp matrix and combine it with trial 3 quantizer of 16 with 6 GOP for 720p mode for the time being until more test results come in from others. As I type, I salute your tireless efforts with a shot of Cognac. Cheers.

• @Zaven13 Trial 5 SH/H modes working for me?! What u shooting? I tested the usual death charts. Check youre using my exact setting - accidents happen. Ai modes are NOT supported/tested for 720p.

• @Zaven13 have you tried a low level reformat of your sd card with sdformatter? I'll also try setting tomorrow and report 720p performance with 12-35.

• @nomad - unable to get MPEG Streamclip to read the mts. Enclosed is a frame capture from MPlayerX. Clip is 1080/24.
    Lens: f/1.4 25mm Leica Summilux D, with 3-stop ND and polarizer. ISO: 160 Profile - Standard, all -2. All modes work, including EX Tele. The only problem I encountered was that I was unable to set shutter speed slower than 1/25 for 300% mode. Power-cycling the GH2 resolved this issue. I thought spanning was OK. I ran for 5 minutes for both 1080/24 and 720/60, but it turns out that this did not reach the 4GB limit, so I'll have to rerun that test. That said, Moon 4 and 5 will run for 70 sec on my Sandisk 45Mb/sec cards. The 64GB card is a major improvement.

• 2nd try on upload.

Seawall.png
    1621 x 906 - 2M
  • @GravitateMediaGroup what do you mean with hdr experiment ?? it looks awesome what did you do???

• @monoseba

it's top secret ; )

nah, gotta use a tripod and keep all subject movement to a minimum, so windy leavy/trees won't work very well. and it works best if the sky is a big part of the shot, but being that it is usually what causes problems being blown out in order to see other details you may have exposed for.

PM any response after this 1 shot over exposed, 1 shot under exposed. line them up on different tracks. key out the sky and tweak the levels, drop the opacity on the top clip. (I keep the over exposed on top, from what I can tell it works best) you really just have to mess around and figure out works best.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters