Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cluster X: Series 1 - moon - ЅріzZ - nebula - drewnet - Slipstream
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • ... except SH/H fail after a few seconds.

@Zaven13 Did you use SH/H in PAL or in NTSC?

• @CurtisMack MPEG Streamclip asks do you want to open the file anyway, if you click yes it works fine :)

@GravitateMediaGroup "standard is the best anyways" this is a misleading statement for new users :] but i know its just a PV ;) There is nothing that is "best anyways" it just a "tool selection" for what you need to do in a given moment and context ;)

• Here are a few more shots strung together on vimeo, guys. Moon5, Smooth -2 everywhere, 5D2RGB, Kit 14-140 Lens.

password: pv

• @Kellar42 Nice movement, was that a jib of some kind? Auto exposure?

• @inqb8tr thank you, yes, it's the DiscoveryCam Portable Jib (aluminum) from the deals! Shutter priority, probably should have AE locked but it's b-roll...

• @Kellar42 yup looks like you've got that new jib down pretty well. And these are 'raw' from camera (no grade), right?

• @luxis I was using standard for driftwood made mention that "he suggest it" so in a way, it's not misleading. When the guy developing the settings suggest standard with them. There may be more truth than PV.

Just saying.

But to be honest, it really don't matter if you're gonna turn around and throw 5 layers of grading on it lol

• *** NEWS *** Today (Wednesday 20th Feb) DREWnet 12/15 GOP Trial 6 released with QP10 / Buffer analysed Rate Control - Amazing quality - Defeats the GH3's IPB modes for quality AND using finer 4x4 quantisation. Low/sub 20s on Death Charts. Best looking 720p yet? (check the i frame sizes for the max i frame freaks out there on death charts or heavy detail) and seems to work fine in iA modes. Goto page 1 to download Trial 6 DREWnet. Many thanks to @onionbrain tests.

@Zaven13 can you fine tune the iA mode of 720p60/FSH and get a bitrate that works for you? Thanks. I know that 720p50 appears fine but 60 frames may need a bit more tuning.

The great thing about DREWnet is that it doesn't use as much bitrates as the tighter GOPs - ideal for high quality resolution pictures albeit using predictive more p/b frames and motion vectors to save memory for bigger i frames). This would be the equivalent in 24p modes as 220Mbps Intra and 100mbs 720p Intra, 80Mbps HBR Intra.

As reference, (google it), Long GOP IPB at around 100MBps is used in a lot of pro cameras costings many thousands more than a GH2. moon handles motion better but if you are doing static shots and wanting the best quality you may very well want to try out DREWnet.

pic: A p frame from the 1080p24 setting!

Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 16.17.19.png
    2560 x 1440 - 6M
  • @GravitateMediaGroup: Do you also prefer standard for a baked in look? I dont want to mess my head with all those profiles and their curves and only do minimal grading. Overgraded looks worse than less grading (somebody you recently had a longer discussion with). But there is a point: If Nick recommends it for his settings and uses that profile to adjust them, then maybe i should switch to standard, too. (Less DR than smooth and nostalgic though?!)

• Some aerial footage Moon4 Standard -2-2-2-2. Panny 14mm ND4. The only issue is banding in the sky.

• @GravitateMediaGroup so many postings, i guess i have missed Nick's suggestion. Standard has less DR then smooth. if you need more DR its better to use smooth. If you don't - standard is fine. Which film mode and what settings(different situations call for different ones) are "better" is a very long(infinite) talk and its going to get off topic. Flexibility is the key to get a good image with this little big camera. If anything send me a pm so we don't flood this one ;)

• Great looking stuff - I bet her yoga class is booked up for years lol

• @luxis This is soooooo far from the truth. No picture style on earth can give a camera "more dynamic range". It may appear to by lifting shadow and what not. Anything you shoot with smooth that gives an appearance of more DR, I can emulate by grading. A picture style can not magically change hardware to have better performance over a different PS.

• @mirrorkisser

If the person that develops the setting (driftwood) suggest standard, it's no longer "my opinion". Seriously shoot with it for more than 30 seconds and get back with me. I also keep my shutter at 1/40 unless the situation is too bright for the aperture. So being that I shoot "slightly" overexposed maybe the reason things aren't "baked in"

• @kingmixer, thank you, and yes, 'raw from camera', no grade, just 5D2RGB.

@driftwood, going to be tempted to try drewnet, grrr...Moon 5 is continuing to look stunning in a variety of applications.

• @kellar42

Omg, Sofia Arias is so sweet, i love her! ;)

• @GravitateMediaGroup Whatever makes you happy, enjoy your grading process!

• Hahaha, @botha, thank you, she's my girlfriend, and @soundgh2, classes are doing well :)

• GH2 Stock 12 GOP - versus - GH3 Stock 12 GOP IPB .mov mode - versus - GH2 Driftwood Cluster X 'DREWnet' Trial 6 setting;-

Lower QP values returned from Streameye shows that DREWnet resolves better quantisation and less artefacting & picture quality (plus better signal to noise ratio PSNR) than a GH3 on the same GOP (12 GOP).

DREWnet underlines the fact that the GH2 still resolves finer quantisation (using its 4x4 transform with 20+Mbps more datarate) on a death chart resolution test. The GH3 employs both coarser 8x8 transform and 4x4 transform (4x4 is used on GH3 only along hi contrast luma edges).

24p

• @luxis Can you provide evidence that supports the more or less DR between PS theory?

• What are the benefits of installig a ALL INTRA patch instead of a GOP type of patch? Better work flow because in not that much compressed? But affects image quality, grading, detail???

Anyone please??? THANKS!

• @danieivy A quick google search may have the answers. But I'm sure this has been discussed several times. Check the FAQ

• @danielvy Motion, workflow, though larger in size its less computational than a long gop for the NLE.

• @driftwood Thankxs for the answer!!! So im staying with moonv5 (ALL INTRA) that I tested yesterday and it was amazing! I always use 24p so i didnt test the other settings. In 24 moon is superb...

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters