Personal View site logo
GH3 Issues Topic
  • 345 Replies sorted by
  • Can someone tell me how to keep the display (iso, shutter, exposure) on constantly? It disappears after a few second which makes monitoring exposure difficult while shooting...

• evf is poxy on my cam too....its such a shame because its such a nice body upgrade from the gh2

• There is plenty to like about the GH3 but here are my complaints:

EVF sucks - I am very nearsighted and often like to shoot both video and stills without my glasses or contacts because I can see very clearly up close which makes seeing the LCD screen very easy. So without eyesight correction, with the GH2 I could adjust the diapoter to see perfectly through the viewfinder and feel reasonably confident in my focus when going manual. This is not possible with the GH3's viewfinder - it does not adjust enough for my nearsightedness which is pretty severe! Then when I put on glasses or contacts, although the diapoter dials in, there is some crapy distortion going on especially at the edges. It feels like I am on drugs! Video shooters may dismiss this as a minor flaw but for shooting stills this is really bad! The whole frame should be clear when looking through the EVF!

Also regarding audio, I recorded a guitarist the other day and used the Rode Video Mic Pro on a stand with an extension cable into the GH3. I had the levels pretty hot but only occasionally going into the red. I wanted to hear the result of recording hot. There seems to be an undesirable limiting effect so I hope that by keeping the levels lower things will improve.

And as has been stated before, unless I have missed a fix, the audio level meters disappear from the screen soon after hitting record as does other vital information. How insane is that! This just has to be fixed in a firmware update!

Update (March 13, 2012) - regarding the hot levels mentioned above - indeed when using the Rode mic up close say when recording live music, I had the Rode set to +20dB but this is just too much even when the GH3's mic inputs are set to a minimum. Just set the Rode to 0 dB then you will not go into the red as easily and can bring up the GH3 mic levels a bit if necessary.

Also, a bit of a work around for the GH3 audio meters disappearing - just tap the LCD screen and they and other inf. will reappear although only for a short time.

• Yeah, it's something but still... this needs to be fixed, seems easy.

• You can wave the hand over the EVF. Then the screen goes black and comes back immedeately and shows the lines again for 10 seconds. At least you do not have to touch the camera.

• I just found out you can't. That's sad. They should fix that on a firmware update.

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/1681-gh3-onscreen-info-disappearing-after-10-seconds/

• After 10 seconds of recording the grid lines go away, and i have to press the touch screen for them to reappear. Does anyone know how to solve this? I'm kind of a noob.

• Well I've tried a similar sort of test with 16 shots at 5 sec intervals photographing a timer on my ipad using gh3 with 35-100mm and sandisk extreme card 95mbs and the shots seem pretty much in sync with intervalometer first shot fired at 0.6sec and the last was 1min 15.6sec only the second shot seemed to alter most seemed with in 0.1 of sec of the 5 seconds ,unless there are other variables to consider and I don't really understand how much it would alter your workflow in regards to timelapse videos mine seems to be fairly accurate ,wether this is going to be problem I don't know.?

• i dont see any serious problem!

• @timelapse_org

. . .and what would be an acceptable accuracy interval?

• We noticed a pretty serious problem with the GH3 intervalometer. It doesn't actually work at regular intervals! It fires early and fires late. But never fires on time. Details with a video documenting the problem are here:

http://timelapse.org/2013/02/panasonic-gh3-for-timelapse-problems/

• @toxotis70:

checked it but can't see that issue with the first test shot:

• @toxotis70

No need to crosspost. As I'll remove previouspost in this case.

• can anyone with gh3 and pany 12-35 can confirm this new problem with this lens ? I am ready to buy it,but i see that there are some problems with this lens (zoom flickering, now this...) Is it a problem with the lens or GH3 ?

• @timfrakes I believe you are correct. I've used wireless lavs plugged into dslrs but these of course had their own power. I suppose a dynamic mic might work given a good adapter but have never tried. Even still, you'll want an external preamped signal so that you can hav your camera preamp set to its lowest setting for noise floor reasons.

• @craichead Am I correct in assuming that all external mics used on a GH3 require phantom power? My collection of hand held and lav mic's don't seem to work. However, my wireless mic system does work when I connect to the GH3 with an XLR to 3.5mm mini cable. Am I missing something? The only time I use an external mic is to record interviews. So, I need to be able to connect a lav mic. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

• @larsarus

No one prevents to find them all on forum, check personally, and put on wiki :-)

• Are known firmware-bugs collected somewhere open (like openradar for apple-bugs)?

• its a firmware bug for sure….

• I've had an occassional problem with the GX1 and GH3 if I pan from a very dark sceen to a very bright scene and I'm shooting in continuous, with the camera in A mode the shutter speeed will jump to 1/4000 and flash, but when I go back to a darker scene the shutter speed stays pegged at 1/4000. I've found that covering the lens momentarily with my hand resets whatever the problem is. Not sure if this is related to what you're reporting.

• I think the screen brightness problem is a firmware bug. Others have noted it on the DPR forum.

• i have this too. Its supposed to be the brgihtness setting , i changed it to 1 or 2 (instead of auto) but again, i have the same problem too.

• The screen on my GH3 is changing brightness levels by itself. When I am shooting indoors and pan to a bright scene the screen jumps up in brightness, when I pan to a dark scene it jumps down in brightness level. It is only the screen, the brightness level jumps don't record to my card. I was hoping it was some sort of auto setting I could turn off, but haven't found it, if it is. Is anyone else having this problem?

• I'm wondering if this is a firmware problem? It sounds like there are a few firmware experts on this forum :-). Do you think if I reinstalled the firmware it might fix it? The best I can tell, it's going to sleep even though "sleep" is set to "off." Thanks!

• My GH3 EVF doesn't black out. I am sorry to say? A sensor problem?