Personal View site logo
Affordable and Effective Light Meter
  • 87 Replies sorted by
  • They do have color meters, but I've never used one. I don't shoot a lot of Broadcast video 3 chip camera ENG stuff.

Any light meter will work, some are just better suited for cine work. They can calculate and offset frame rates, etc. But If you learn the basics, any meter will do. It's just a matter of what works for you. If it has a spot (or reflective) function as well as incident mode it will be far more useful in video work. But if not you can always use the in-cam spot meter as long as you know how far off, if any, the readings are from your handheld meter.

• It is interesting how long it'll take for chinese guys to make light meter using rugged smartphone approach with good camera and sliding dome :-) It is possible to make such for $100 today already.

• One thing I've learned is that GH13 LCD screen is extremely deceptive in terms of framing, lighting level and color temperature (and I'm assuming that the situation is the same with GH2). It is by far not the same as looking into a Bolex or Arri viewfinder. In terms of framing, I just remember... roughly. But when it comes to lighting level (lumens etc) and color temperatures what you get on your LCD and what you get on your 28" monitor in editing is not the same. So you end up shooting "roughly" and hoping for the best. So some kind of in-between tool is needed for the precision oriented cinematography workflow.

That's why I was asking which one of the affordable light-meters for digital cinematography can read color temperature and lumens levels.

• I only trust the Sekonic L-758 Cine. Monitors are horrible to judge exposure by.

• @kronstadt that's why I'm doing the intensity and falloff tutorial this week. I'll show you an easy way to use your light meter to put light wattages and distance (rather than lumens) into stops +/- using a tape measure and a meter. Since the physics never changes, you can calculate, and put together a cheat sheet that will tell you how many stops you'll lose when you drop a 251 diffusion gel in front of a 1k, or how many you'll lose if you convert from tungsten to daylight, how many stops you'll gain or lose if you move the light closer or farther away, or use a single scrim, or a double, or a double double.

• It took me a while to figure out how to use the cover of the light meter properly. Haha.

lightmeter1.jpg
    1936 x 2592 - 942K
    lightmeter2.jpg
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
  • I've shot with a Sekonic Studio Deluxe II since 1989, and to this day, it's still my most important piece of gear. It not only works for stills, but has a cine scale as well. It has never let me down in 23 years.

You can find them cheap on ebay.

• @OzNimbus,

Can you explain the steps you take in using the Studio Deluxe II together with the GH2?

Do you prefer the Studio Deluxe to the newer all-digital style light meters?

I inherited a Studio Deluxe in pristine condition, and I'd like to experiment with it.

• There's a second version of this light meter out there:

http://www.adorama.com/GSDSLM2.html

I can't find anything written up about it. Is it significantly improved?

• @QuickHitRecord - Seems to be the same as the first. At least from the pictures and description, nothing has changed save for the appearance.

• I realize what I'm about to do is a little dangerous in the wrong hands, but this app is too damn cool not to share, and it'll prepare you for a future where everything has FC and WFM and nobody really uses light meters..... oh wait... I guess that's the present.

http://www.adamwilt.com/cinemeter/index.html

I will do a tutorial on this at some point. At it's default, It is calibrated perfectly with my digisix when using my iPhone 4. There's doesn't seem to be the pink 49-51IRE range on the FC side, but by using both the WFM and the FC, and playing around with it, you can teach yourself to use both to be able to read a scene in the field and/or breakdown the light in a scene very quickly.

from the developer:

UNDERSTAND THESE LIMITS:

The light meter is absolute—you can count on its readings to mean what they say, regardless of circumstance, since they’re calculated from the camera’s reported brightness value. Once you calibrate Cine Meter to your reference standard, it should always give you correct readings.

However, the picture, false-color picture, and waveform monitor displays are only relative—they show scene brightness values relative to other levels in the scene, but the levels of those images and waveforms depend on how the camera sets its exposure, which often differs from the brightness value the camera reports to the light meter, as described in How It Works.

For this reason, you can’t directly compare light meter readings with waveform or false-color levels!

You can’t preset an exposure level or a white balance and then use the displays to show you absolute levels. iPhone / iPad / iPod touch cameras don’t let you manually preset values; they only let you lock in the current auto-exposure or auto-white-balance setting, so you can’t set the scopes for, say, ISO 800 @ 1/48 sec @ f/4.0 with a color temperature of 3200K.

The only way to set a particular exposure level is to trick the camera by showing it the “correct” light (for example, using a gray card) and then locking its settings. Once locked, you can then look at the pictorial displays to see how tones and colors in a scene render relative to the locked settings.

That’s the key to getting the most out of Cine Meter: treat it like a point-and-shoot camera with exposure and white-balance locks (which is really what it is, only with fancier readouts), and you’ll be able to “fool” it into doing what you need.

more - http://www.adamwilt.com/cinemeter/details.html

Screen Shot 2013-02-02 at 3.08.18 PM.png
    642 x 308 - 207K
  • One of the best things is the ability to use the waveform monitor to check evenness of lighting on a key background.

• @OzNimbus brother of the Sekonic Studio Deluxe II! Had mine since I was using an Arri S in film school

Alt text

@Shian, oh brother of the line-y hand-

Thanks for the heads up on the cinemeter, downloaded it just now, amazing. I have been wanting to sign up for Color GHear for a while now, you have given a heap 'o great information here. But I'm one of the new owners of the BT Red One MX's and spend most of my time trying to wrap my head around Red workflow. I'm learning RCXpro now and dealing with LUTs, all new territory. Will I be able to find tutorials that I can apply to using Speedgrade, as well as your lighting tips?

• @Lincoln11 I PM'ed you, per VK's new "handling slightly off topic conversations in PM."

• @shian

What is the difference between the Gossen Digisix and Digisix 2? It's hard to find what the upgrade between the two is.

• from what i can tell, nothing except the SS ring is black instead of white.

• @shian Really looking forward to that CineMeter App Tutorial. Still trying to wrap my head around how to implementit with my gh2 and shooting a scene correctly.

• @Roy_Batty it's always worked flawlessly for me, so I've never felt the need to upgrade to a digital meter. They're inexpensive on eBay so I'd recommend it if u want to go the ultra cheap route . (Hope that wasn't too OT)

• Shian - I would also love to see a tutorial on the CineMeter iPhone app. Given the limitations of the iPhone, can you suggest settings for where the false color ranges, and how to test the results with a waveform monitor?

• Shian,

Looking forward to the Cinemeter tutorial ;)

• Hey guys, what do you think about the LUMU - lightmeter for smartphones in a cloud - just out today on kickstarter..

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lumulabs/lumu-bringing-light-meter-to-the-21st-century

• it's a great incident meter, and if it is ultimately priced around $50 I'd get it. But without any reflective meter function it's not a full fledged meter. And probably not very durable.

• Looks like it's $149. Ouch. I'll stay with my Gossen.

• With the dome sitting atop the Digisix, what is the proper way of taking a reading? Is it with the dome pointed at the camera, display facing up (parallel to floor); or dome facing up (unit upright), with the reading display facing the camera?

• point it at the key light