Personal View site logo
Windmotion - upsampling to 4:4:4
  • 263 Replies sorted by
  • Reading about this amazing sounding software, the new Metabones adapter, RED's plans for indie 4K distribution to theaters nationwide all in one week's time...am I dreaming?

• Did you mean with "videos" original out-of-camera MTS files from hacked GH2?

Of course, I found some originals from Vimeo Plus downloads (MTS, mov) and from other forums. Currently I have a huge collection of many camera original files. They are from unknown license, so I cannot use them to share. I have my own videos from my NEX-7, but, anyway, I will publish any final examples after a stable release. Because internal algorithms are still under development and real finish quality is not stable now. Also huge lossless video needs a lot of server space to keep these files. So I don't want to publish any results now. Currently the program is available for public less than 3 weeks...

• Did you mean with "videos" original out-of-camera MTS files from hacked GH2?

I'm sure that's what he means!

@rean, I believe from this forum you'll find lots of volunteers to send you all the different clips from GH2s! Especially the ones which give problems to others, like the "diagonal rain" in Premiere.

• @matt_gh2, yes, you do it before, since once you've imported it into Premiere and edited, this information is lost. So you do this similarly to how you do this in 5DtoRGB or in Cineform. It's not about the floating point thing, it's about rescaling the channels.

About the actual theory, I don't feel qualified to tell anything, I'd better redirect you to these articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

http://blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad/2010/06/color_subsampling_or_what_is_4.html

• @rean Welcome here, mate! Your project might find lots of resonance and interest here. Just to make sure:

I always get great visual results even with a 100mbps videos from hacked GH2. Sorry, I cannot show you any result now, because have no GH2 and licensed clips.

Did you mean with "videos" original out-of-camera MTS files from hacked GH2?

• Hello, I am the developer. zsero invited me here. The program is not for upsampling really, but it may be used for this thing. It is planned as any camera quality restoration tool. I used some internal versions within last two years for my own commercial videos from a low bitrate camera (17mbps H.264 4:2:0) and currently with Sony NEX-7 (28mbps H.264 1080p50). Currently I have planned to share it with a community. So a new version is developing with some useful things.

Restoration includes:

• H.264/MPEG/MJPEG codec artifact fixing (dithering, deblocking, motio-compensated denoised and other tricks).
    • Other camera things fixing including color cast, digital noise, halos, oversharping, etc).

Also it is useful as a service tool to rename and batch convert original clips from a camera and from a sound recording device. Internally I use it to make films. It supports 1080p by a design. And... upsampling is really a small additional feature.

I tested an oldest internal version with many videos, from the internet, including latest Sony cameras, Panasonic x900, GH2, GH3, Canon and Nikon DSLR. I always get great visual results even with a 100mbps videos from hacked GH2. Sorry, I cannot show you any result now, because have no GH2 and licensed clips.

Currently the program is under development. Really I working every day a week with it. After a stable beta version will be ready, I will publish examples, screenshots, videos, html documentation, etc.

If you have a question, ask be here. But I am really very busy now, because hard coding Windmotion now, so I apologize in advance for not being able to answer multiple questions or clarifications.

I don't recommend anyone to download Alpha 2 version now, because you will get a next published version very soon. It will be a big different to use. Also, I would be grateful for permission to use your video from hacked GH2 or other cameras. I am particularly interested in high bitrate samples. These samples will be used to create examples and a documentation.

• @zsero I'm not too familiar with 4:4:4. So what is the benefit of upsampling your footage to 4:4:4?...is it about having finer gradations of color correcting the colors in our images? Is this similar to setting your After Effects timeline to 32 bit vs 8 bit in order for images to hold up better when grading?

So how does it work? Do you upsample your footage to 4:4:4 first and then import into your video editor like Premiere Pro? Thanks

• It could stand to have some documentation. I got a Windows 8 VM running, installed the necessary apps/codecs/scripts, but you end up with a folder full of batch files for each individual process and not much idea of how to go about processing footage. Plus several of the scripts aren't included in the beta because they are for the paid pro versions.

Edit: Nevermind, I see he already has a GUI going in the newer version. Good luck figuring out the alpha ;)

• No, I'm waiting for the developer to come up with it's new release and to support Cineform 10-bit as well. At the moment it supports the following formats:

4:4:4 in RGB avi utvideo

4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0 YUV H.264, 10bit H.264 mkv

4:2:2, 4:2:0 YUV ProRes mov

4:2:2, 4:2:0 avi utvideo

4:4:4 16/8 bit internal format (3 YUV avi utvideo files with wav)

• @zsero Have you installed and tried it?

• Bravo zsero, huge potential could be hidden in there. I hope the guy will join here soon, many would like to test it and important feedbacks would be returning to the guy all the time (btw, that forum by doom9 does not seem to be very bubbly.....two weeks without any reactions)

• Interesting. Maybe I'll fire up a Windows 7/8 VM and try it out.