Personal View site logo
Driftwood - Experimental Series 2: Low Rider, Cluster v8, V9, Intravenus II, GH3onaGH2, AN, Boom
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • I'm not sure, noise can fool you into seeing detail. But it's all about motion as soon as we are comparing Intra to GOP based settings.

• Apocalypse Now 'Intravenus' v2 With cbrandin 'Smooth Cinema' Matrix vs Cluster DREWnet (12/15 GOP) v9 Boom

Just a frame grab of a wooden head board shot using both patches (magnification at 400%) Samyang 35mm ~F/1.7 24H 1/50 ISO800 Pic Profile: Smooth -2, -2, -2, 0 Lit exactly the same during both shots

To my eyes the DREWnet v9 has less noise but also loses some detail. This was a locked-off shot with no motion in it what-so-ever. I've no idea how they handle motion as of yet :)

(v9 Boom is not the Smooth Cinema Matrix as it says on the pic. It's 4444)

VS.jpg
    1492 x 807 - 156K
  • @Shon FCX was the problem, used 5dtoRGB as suggested by @Chippy and the problem was solved.

• I just give a try to Cluster X NEBULA 6 GOP (PAL), and it look really good.

• GH2 outdoor & indoor cinematic test using Cluster_v7_DREWnet_12_15_GOP_'444_Sharp2 on SDHC Class 6 card:

• @vpetero You can give the original file? http://sendfile.su/

• @driftwood, et al,

I applied Low Rider v1 for the last week and was curious if a sharper image was possible when using a Helios 58mm as the taking lenses, with an Isco anamorphic lens attached. I have always been using Intra patches, and read reference to 'sharp' in the patch, AN Cluster v7 '444 Sharp2', and gave it a try. Results were good, although I had not compared to other patches in a controlled environment. A quick test in the middle of the day, this time I also had sufficient ND's stacked, together with a C-Pol which, imo, seemed to help.

My question is: AN Cluster v7 '444 Sharp2', does the '444 Sharp 2' aspect of this patch sharpen the image, compared to others, or is referring to matrix processing of the image? With an anamorphic lens attached, there can be somewhat of a softening of the image, imo, so while I will soon be testing alternate taking lenses, such as Takumar, Zuiko and Rokkor's, I am also exploring alternate patches to apply to the GH2. I understand there are many factors that relate to my quest for a sharper image. Any other patches recommended that may produce a sharper image when using an anamorphic lens attachment?

Sample footage - Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula with cbrandin/driftwood '444 Sharp2' matrix.

Original 1080p upload file: Link

• @cupanudles Yeah thats true

• @vpetero +1 point for Premier :P

• @Chippy I tried clipwrap, but had the same issues.

• @vpetero I had a simular experienced fixed by using 5DtoRGB and or clipwrap then brought into FCPX

• @driftwood Actually I think the problem is with Final Cut X, because I tried a piece of footage in both FCX and Premier and it exhibits those issues in FCX but none what so ever in Premier.

Thank you

• @WhiteRabbit Yes at that spot and in the bathroom at 1:37 were post stabilized. I don't think any others were off the top. Maybe 3:32 was too. But that's it

• @driftwood I performed the same test again with same settings as above:

• @driftwood, I reformatted the SD Card Reset the camera

Shot 24P everything manual with Nikkor,24mm, 2.8

• I'm a newbee... my apologies. Can I use any of the "Driftwood - Experimental Series 2: Low Rider, Cluster v8, V9, Intravenus II, GH3onaGH2, AN, Boom" on a Panasonic GF5? I would like to experiment with that and I know the GF5 has limitations. I'm only interested in maximizing the quality of movie in that camera.

Many thanks. PM

• @driftwood Will try that tomorrow. thank you

• reshoot the scene @vpetero and try and reproduce problem. My guess is a fragged card.

• "Actually I just checked original footage and these issues are minimal, it is only amplified ounce I apply any color correction in FCX." Disregard this statement its there from the capture, I just didnt pay attention.

• @driftwood, The card was is "Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-1 Card -95mbs" it was formatted.
    I was filming 1080p,24 Lens - Nikkor,24mm, 2.8

Actually I just checked original footage and these issues are minimal, it is only amplified ounce I apply any color correction in FCX.

Thank you.

• @damienmoreau, 'Begin Your Journey', great, and I like seeing footage shot at night. Any post stabilisation to the footage, such as at 4:10?

• @vpetero See my reply in Cluster X thread! What sd card did you use? Was it formatted first before using, etc... what settings did u use... etc.. Be more specific - thanks

• @driftwood I was testing Cluster 6 DREWnet and the footage fell apart whilst capturing a few trees see vedio below:

• So 2K is not 2K. Hmmm. Is it upscaled 1080p30? What is the source for the larger than FullHD files?

• @shon

it was a typo, should have been "high bit detail" and I fully understand, that it's called 2k because of the size. I'm sure if I wanted to, I could probably take footage from my FF 6d and pull off 2k a bit better than a gh2. ; )