Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood - Experimental Series 2: Low Rider, Cluster v8, V9, Intravenus II, GH3onaGH2, AN, Boom
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • So is the bitrate for Intravenus II especially variable? I know in Ptool it's listed to be something close to 150 Mbps, right?

I shot a couple quick clips in my apartment and got 70-80 for the average bitrate in Stream Parser. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be and i'm just missing/forgetting something, but I just thought I'd ask.

(Extra Info: Manual 25mm Lens, Iso 640, SDXC 64gb card, 24H, Dialed-Down Smooth)

IntraVenus2.JPG
    1288 x 677 - 163K
  • @kingmixer Upto 150Mbps. At the moment its set for best balance / variable. It wont neccesarily reach 150Mbps unless there is a lot of detail. Was it a close up shot you were filming? :-)

• it was kind medium/med-wide. I appreciate the work and response – i was just curious and I'm glad it's working right.

• @Zaven13 @bueller @kingmixer and any other good testers - Test these two new Low Rider variations and report back.

Low Rider TRIAL TEST V2 and V3 - seta.and setg.zip
  • @Driftwood, greetings, and happy new year!

I have been using your older patches mostly, though I have tried Boom recently, and definitely appreciate the look enough to where I put it back on the camera for now. I recently picked up a 17.5mm Nokton (woohoo!), and am simply wanting to see just how sharp this lens can be at the extreme. So my question is, what is the all time highest detail patch you have released, and a follow up would be what is the all time highest detail yet stable patch, or what is the most recent patch focusing on ultimate detail?

• @mee Give Low Rider a test... still tweaking...

• @driftwood Hey Nick, sorry for the newbie question here but I'm in Miami on a last minute hotel promo shoot and didn't get time to test much HBR stuf back in LA. I figured I'd use 30P since it will only be viewed on the hotel website and wasn't sure if any of these new patches were good and stable at 30P. Any suggestions of should I just stay with Sedna or a CM to play it safe, possibly a V7? I use all 95mbs cards so no worries there.

• @driftwood

was the "cinema smooth" by itself idea scrapped and will only be a hybrid with intra v2, or is low rider the same as cinema smooth?

also, what are the differences in the 2 new low rider versions over the original? I know it's like asking a parent which one of your children are your favorite, but do you think low rider is a better patch than intra 2 and in what ways...low light performance, color, bit rate, etc?

• So many questions guys. Another one from me;) Any chance of 6/12 GOP versions of Cinema Smooth? cheers!

• Shooting a hip hop video in a club tomorrow...lowrider seems strangley appropriate. -lol

• @GravitateMediaGroup Intravenus variation no.2 contains the Cinema Smooth matrix of course, and I am pondering over making a Cluster version of the settings - if enough people want it like @brudney.

Low Rider is sorta taking things back to the roots a little and looking at what makes a certain matrix work well with Intra in 1080 modes and with a low constant Q. The three variations of Low Rider should be tested by those who want to test. All three variations work very well in 24p utilising different methods of rate control. HBR and 720p modes are still being tuned. Remember they are initially test settings and thus I haven't issued a release candidate until a few more people testing are happy. At the moment variation no. 3 is the safest bet with the variation 2 and the earlier released variation no. 1 possibly freezing here and there on FSH 1080i50/60 and SH.

My own results show varying quality and I will talk about this soon.

• @driftwood

I have had a huge interest in cinema smooth since it's announcement. although I am a huge fan of intravenus 1, and now a huge fan on intra 2, i'm just curious to see what CS is like on it's own.

• @driftwood. I tested all three variations of the low Rider. There seem to be a common pattern in all three settings. 24p, HBR and 720p H modes are stable and look great. The failures occur with FSH/FH and SH modes. I have noticed a progressive reduction in bitrate usage from LR1 to LR3. FSH/SH are improved in LR3 since they use lower bitrates in lower detail scenes. But once detail increases and bitrates reach 65-70MB they fail. One thing puzzles me though. By definition, the FSH should use higher bitrates than FH mode but when I check the video, both modes use identical bitrates as if there was no difference.

• @Zaven13 Variation 3 gets by on the death charts, what subject matter/zooming/lens/etc produced the recording stop? And did the files still write out despite the stoppage?

• Driftwood, I will be out and about testing Boom a bit tomorrow, I will bring the latest Low Rider along for testing too, and will use a variety of class 10 cards to see how it/they perform. Consider it a done deal. But just to be clear I really want to see the extremes of my lens if only for 10 seconds clips. So I literally mean it when I ask, what is the all time highest detail patch? My guess is Seaquake or Sedna, but I am just guessing.

• @driftwood. I am in NTSC world. I used Panasonic 14-140mm, OIS with Sandisk 64GB SDXC 95MB and Low Rider variation 3. Let me tell you the image quality is absolutely beautiful in all modes. I shot two different scenes. Last night I pointed to the TV with some zooming to cover the entire screen and this morning I shot my street with trees and houses and cars in the sunlight.

• 24p and HBR are stable even with full zooming. Bitrates varying based on detail.

• FSH/SH, fail in less than 10 seconds. The files still write out to the card after the stoppage. I used both IA mode and VMM and ther results are the same.

• FH/H also fail in less than 10 seconds and have the same bitrates as FSH/SH. I don't understand. Shouldn't FH/H use lower bitrates therefore be a safer alternative? I would be happy to have the 24p, HBR along with a stable FH/H until the higher modes FSH/SH are further tuned. Thanks for all your efforts.

• Thx, Apocalypse Now 'Intravenus' v2 With cbrandin 'Smooth Cinema' Matrix is super nice

• @Zaven13 Can you check PAL settings for FSH and / SH ?

NTSC 60fps FSH/SH adjusted. Try this 'Low Rider variation no. 4' for usual problems.

Low Rider V4 with FSH-SH 60fps adjusted - setd.zip
  • i had a long Low Rider 24p test today...aaaand it was very very stable without probs...!!!

• @Driftwood, as promised I tested Lowrider 2 and 3 today using a variety of cards. The tests were simple, involving a manual lens, and various settings while shaking the shit out of my tripod and moving it all over and also doing static shots of a deep shot of allot of people in motion. The cards I used were an 8gb 30MB/s sandisk card, a 16gb 95MB/s sandisk card, a 16gb Toshiba Exceria 90MB/s read/30MB/s write card, and finally a Silicon power 16gb class 10 which is about 20mb/s. The results were Low rider 3 passed all tests including ETC and 720p except on the Silicon power card where it failed repeatedly during every setting, even during most static shots. However this is not a top card, so I call this a pass for Low Rider 3. Low rider 2 however had troubles on all cards in 720p, and ETC, plus in 1080p if I raised the film speed above 1/60th it failed frequently. Not a big deal for many, but I use 1/100th shutter speed on 1080p fairly often.

I hope this is useful, I am not a scientific tester at all. Oh, and I was in SH mode at all times.

• Canis Majoris Day Pm http://i.imgur.com/KutK5.jpg

vs Intravenus v2 http://i.imgur.com/ZXeY2.jpg

thanks Driftwood

• In your examples, the Intravenus v2 holds more detail.

• @driftwood. I tested Low Rider variation 4 for NTSC 60fps. FSH/FH and H survive the indoor test which is pointing to the TV and record with some zooming involved. SH still fails. However, FSH/FH, SH/H all fail the outdoor tests which is the street with trees, cars, houses in sunlight. HBR is very solid and it even survives the death charts.

• @driftwood: I'm also very interested in Cluster and generally in any long GOP settings you may publish.