Personal View site logo
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • Hair and Skin Tone Testing by Adam Roberts

Thanks all

• VeraMeatTV - Web Short Film shot on BMCC by yours truly:

• +1 That is why i'm sticking to gh2 for the next 2 yrs.

• If you don't have it in stock, it is pretty vaporous. If you are marketing a camera that doesn't have basic communication between the lens and the OS, that's like selling a computer without a GUI.

I'm just saying, a lot of companies do this, or variations on this, and they would be way better served by offering a reward if they don't ship it. It is a simple, elegant way to promote sales of the reputable companies and to discourage sales from companies that don't really have a chance at selling the product anytime soon.

Obviously, if a company really thinks they can ship it, they can only win by such a system, since the increase in sales would more than offset the occasional misfires.

I think the consumers are partly to blame as well. There's no practical reason to buy something before the price softens and the bugs are worked out. The market is encourage reckless spending by beta testers, but we, the consumer, can say no. We can say, no, I can wait a few weeks or months, I don't need a status symbol right now, I can donate that money to Oxfam and save some lives instead. If consumers did not buy into this early adopter BS we would have a better chance of getting a more mature product. Why should they fix the problems if ppl buy them anyway?

• Vaporware would denote a product not existing. 2/3" Scarlet = Vaporware

Blackmagic Camera = Shipping, in limited quantities currently.

GH3 = Shipping, in limited quantities currently.

• A preorder is a contract, and if the company that offers the contract does not act in good faith, one could sue for breach of contract in small claims court. But who wants to sue anyone? I think one could also fold these situations into the very strong "bait and switch" laws that are already on the books. But the sad fact ofthe matter is that "vaporware", which is basically what these preorders are, has been around since DOS and I doubt that anything will change.

OTOH, the company that makes the offer could sell more "real" preorders if they simply added a rider saying $50 credit if we don't meet our deadline, and it would be very good business to do so. "Real" preorders would offer the proze, and the iffy ones would not.

• @GravitateMediaGroup

Wouldn't even fit the mount

JB.

• BlackMagic update:

The production lines have been up and running with sensors coming in. We have been sending out regular shipments of EF model cameras each week to all of our offices around the world, and each week we are getting cameras out at a faster rate. We are still not at full volume shipping though, because sensors are not quite getting to us at a pace that I could say was full volume. But each day I am seeing the volume get better from the sensor company. I am happy with the quality of the sensors.

For the MFT model, we want to get through some more of the EF orders before I give a date on when we will start getting the MFT orders out. They are ready to go, but we need to get through most of the early EF pre-orders first.

• @johnbrawley

what wasn't working with it? a lens woldn't lock in, or vignette?

• Thanks John, was about to order :) BTW, do you know what is going on with the MFT batch of BMDCC ? Thanks again for all you work on keeping us informed.

• I've used the MTF adaptor...namely the m4/3 adaptor (which i think they aim at the GH2 AF100 market) and I have to say it didn't work at all. It was a generic m4/3 adaptor they do and it wouldn't mount to my m4/3 BMCC. I have the Hot Rod PL--m4/3 adaptor on there now and it fits perfectly. I wouldn't be rushing to get an MTF in a hurry...

jb

• MTF Services Adapters

• According to the guy I talked to at B&H on the phone, I repeat "according to a random BH worker" The BMCC canon mounts that they are getting, have been shipped to them and are on their way to BH.

• @chef I know, the post above made it clear. When I originally seen it I didn't watch it, just saw that it was m43 mount.

• @GravitateMediaGroup I dont own it dude, just found on a tweet this vid and posted it here,you gotta ask @johnbrawley ;)

• @GravitateMediaGroup - that's John Brawley's video. Not much of a secret as to how he has his hands on one...

• @chef how the heck do you already have a MFT mount?

wanna sell it? lol

• Guys, this is wrong topic for lenses discussion, use proper topic.

• Thanks @kholi – It´s funny.. while center sharpness is certainly ok on the 12mm, I find it way too soft for wide shots (in general) unless stepped down to 2-2.8 or more. On the gh2 I´d avoid wide shots alltogether with it because the corners never really get there. Ok when there is clear background separation, not ok for a wide scene with focus in the distance. Mind, the samples I provided of the 17.5 were intended to show the behaviour of the lens rather than a typical shot I´d do with it.. and while it also has a pronounced field curvature and quite a bit of vignetting I prefer how it renders small detail at a distance. In the center, up close, I don´t see much of a difference between 1.6 and 0.95.

I can´t say the 12mm differs much from my conception of it from John´s footage, either – the wide shots are very soft, but it works in those particular conditions.. and occasionally in others.

Two good lenses, the 12mm definately works better on the bmd than on the gh2.

I´m also looking forward to the 25, 35 f0.95 and hopefully they will not dissapoint!

• HEre's a folder of stills from me testing for a short film last month. I used the 12/1.6 to take set photos and BTS video as well. Some of the pictures are stills, some of them are screen grabs from actual video, handheld and people moving. Not locked off.

The stills with the glove and guy at the door are actually from my feature film, used as insert or a sequence.

http://www.campcomet.com/stills/slr12/

Few MBs a piece. We very well may differ on what usable sharpness is wide open, but personally I think the SLR12/1.6 is adequately rated, where F1.6 is usable and moving down to a 2~2.8 split is where it becomes optimized. by 4~5.6 split it's slightly better.

This is why I'm looking forward to the 25/0.95 and 35/0.95, and I do hope SLR takes advantage of the 15-28mm market with a prime in that range, that's somewhere between a 1.0 and 1.6 max aperture, and sharp enough for video.

Stills, different story, you can correct a lot with a single frame so.

Also, I uploaded some of John's DNGs to my google Drive if you want to see the 12/1.6 on Blackmagic, so that this post is relevant: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B8-f-XPnmOp6dm1GVDBaaXY2WTQ/edit

I don't think the 17.5/0.95 is too bad to use, though, and I think by 1.4~2 it's fine.

• Well, I´d really like to see some examples from your 12mm slr magic, since my copy was obviously softer than the 17.5 wide open..

Mind, I have not used the 17.5 extensively for film-making, nor the 12mm slr magic.. Both are pretty extreme lenses IMO, and I rarely have any use for a lens with a wider angle of view than 64 or so degrees, other than when it´s practically necessary – for the way I like to shoot, normally.

• @RRRR I just checked your stills, don't want to start a fire in that thread or anything or get sliced to pieces, less people paying attention here:

Your stills exhibit exactly what I'm referring to. It's way too soft wide open for motion picture, IMO. But by 1.2~1.4 it's fine, and we don't have anything faster than a 2 in that range, anyway, so it's still got value to me until someone else improves upon it in the same range, 15 - 18mm 1.4~2

Thanks for posting!

• @daisuke, there´s a specific topic on the 12mm lens, check the gear>lens section.. I sold my copy of it, but would very much like to see some new sample comparisons.

• This would be beneficial to me because I am in the ballpark for the SLR 12mm lens.