• Beef: +10.2%
    • Pork: +8.5%
    • Fish: +7.1%
    • Eggs: +9.2%
    • Dairy: +6.8%
    • Oils and Fats: +9.3%

2012 stuff

• Bushel of corn price has risen by 54 percent since mid-June

Via: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/07/17/Obama-economy-food-prices-skyrocketed-2011
    And : http://business.financialpost.com/2012/07/17/americas-worst-drought-since-56-threatens-world-food-supply/

• 33 Replies sorted by
  • To what extent can these percentage price changes be attributed to change in the value of the US dollar compared to other currencies? Separately and in addition, ala drought, global warming is taking its toll. We should also examine pollution in the sea concerning fish prices.

• Doctors generally don't know jack about diet.

Yes, don't listen to doctors. They don't know anything. roll eyes

I don't understand where this mindset comes from? I mean, you should do your own research as well... but generally doctors are going to know what they're talking about. Oh I forgot though, only Big-Daddy government and obama knows whats best for you... and liberal-arts professors who are envious that they were never skilled enough for those positions. Oh wait, I guess that's where the this thinking comes from... :)

• Ha! That's what I told him!

• My brother bought some cheap seeds and set up a 6'x6' hydroponics room in his kitchen

Next step is to go real with real stuff, not hydroponics (that is unnatural). With pure organic shit used for help :-)

• My brother bought some cheap seeds and set up a 6'x6' hydroponics room in his kitchen, where he grows organic vegetables and fruits. He is hoping to convert the electricity to solar next year. I was amazed at how lush and green everything looked! Really. It was like a booth of Jurassic Park. And it tasted even better. I work in a restaurant in the evenings that uses organic food for a lot of dishes and that stuff ain't cheap. But it is worth it if you prefer your food without pesticides and additives. I know I do. If the price of food (veggies) keeps going up I will invest in a similar Hydroponics set up. Perhaps a smaller version since It's just me and my cat. :-)

• @@subco yeah...if it is better. Lots from corporate farms are frankenspecies, full of chemical fertilizer and enhancements and preservative chemicals and soaked in pest/herbicides....real healthy.

As a farmer, I'm not getting much more for my crops and a lot of small farmers are doing the same as we are. Just grow enough to break even and eat, butcher a couple of steers every year for our own needs and work outside jobs to make the budget work out.

Anyone that says the Government doesn't control the prices has never had to deal with the FDA, EPA, Forestry Dept, Dept of Agriculture, land use people and for some poor souls, the Corp of Engineers.

They can Red Tape the prices of supplies and permits right to the penny. Ethanol isn't helping the price of consumer corn products either.

• @subco, yes the thread is IMPORTANT, we need to eat better, and i think your "invesment" in healthy food is better than buying a camera, lenses etc. HEALTH has no price.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev that chart is even scarier than I thought. amazing.

• Go and click on Chart for verious things here:

http://www.commoditycharts.com/commodities/Grains

• I will make an important thread. Its about nutrition and better brain performance, In google talks there is interesting videos about it.

EDIT: HERE IS THE THREAD http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3992/nutrients-for-better-mental-performance-videos-and-reads-

• @subco This year is my first year growing a garden, and it's been really great. In fact I have so many tomatoes I have to give them away to friends/family. Another bonus is they taste far better than anything you'll find in a grocery store.

• would never feed it a $1 BigMac or garbage like that for example.

Never say never :-)

Consider that your salary is the same, but food prices are 5x.
    Will be you still ok with it?

• Anyone who's shopped for groceries over the last several years can easily see that food prices have been skyrocketing. I guess if you eat all your meals at McDonald's and use the value menu you wouldn't notice this.

• Advice: don't ever believe what a doctor tells you about diet. It's not much different what anyone else says about diets. Doctors generally don't know jack about diet.

Should we make separate Paleo Diet thread?

• Yes, you are right about vegans. We finally agree in something.

• And prey too …

• Veg, fruit, grains, nuts.

They are all good, until you become religious vegan and start to kill yourself.

People are killers and predators by their nature :-)

• Veg, fruit, grains, nuts.

They are grate foods, every doctor recomends Veg, fruit, nuts. They are important in nutrition. I cant say it about beans and seeds, cos they can generate alergic reactions, like soybean, or weet. That is cos they where developed in human diet only after farming was invented. So was the latest introduction to our diet in the human evolution. After that we just jump to junk food and modern pestisides, which we all know are harmfull. Paleolitic diet is the one with more years developed in the human evolution. So our body is more used to it.

• I know what the invisible hand theory is -- Adam Smith, etc.

I don't dispute that there are government price supports in food production, but you really want to suggest that supply and demand isn't a determining factor in food prices?

So, for example, the drought in the American mid-west has nothing to do with spiking grain prices? Shortages have nothing to do with price?

• I never proposed an invisible hand theory!

Check please, invisible hand is quite known term :-) And you share same approach.

Commodity prices spiked early in the depression (2008-9), only to fall again.

And they spiked because?

Non-food commodity prices elsewhere have dropped significantly in recent months, thanks to reduced demand.

Can you show me documents that have facts about reduced world demant for this goods?

While there will always be some influence from fiscal policy generally in a complex system, there's really no need to invoke it here

No of course, not. Wait, it is complete bullshit statement. I also really do not like constant usage of term "fiscal policy" in the situation of bankrupt country, who is some months issues debt that in twice of all budget income.

Unless the law of supply and demand have been repealed, prices are likely to go up.

May be you could be so kind to show me all the dotations in US and EU that go to hold food prices?

• I think your invisible hand theory has them :-)

I never proposed an invisible hand theory!

Commodity prices spiked early in the depression (2008-9), only to fall again. Non-food commodity prices elsewhere have dropped significantly in recent months, thanks to reduced demand. And there's widespread fear of deflation in Europe, and the rate is likely to be under 2% target in the U.S.

While there will always be some influence from fiscal policy generally in a complex system, there's really no need to invoke it here. Crops production is down. Unless the law of supply and demand have been repealed, prices are likely to go up.

• And the proof that these prices are tied to fiscal policy is where?

I think your invisible hand theory has them :-) As if you have more money and same amount of goods - inflation happens.

If you want to check how more money exactly, you can check US budget posts on this same blog. For other goverments it is also not very good.

• VK

And the proof that these prices are tied to fiscal policy is where? And are you suggesting that supply and demand is an illusion?

• It's worth remarking here that this food inflation has nothing to do with American fiscal policy, deficits, stimulus spending, supposed "devaluation of the dollar", etc.

This claim is false. Food prices are, of course, related to all of this things.

Obama has a lot to answer for, but this isn't one of them

Obama is just a puppet, you can't blame a puppet.

We're talking commodity prices, which are always volatile and tied either to supply and demand and/or speculation, plus the likely effects of global warming on crop patterns.

Yes, invisible hand theory. I see. Sad thing that it is not true.