Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • Hai I read an article of Voldemort saying that gh3 has a clean hdmi out for external recorders like ninja 2. is this camera firmware hackable like gh2 ?

• @timfreaks , yes you can with GH3 (even GH2)

• Hi, I'm a video guy who will be getting my GH3 shipped this week. Does anyone know if I can connect the HDMI output on the GH3 to an external monitor and monitor video while I'm recording an interview? I know I can't do it with my GF3. I can only play back recorded video. By then, it's too late to make an adjustment, of course. Thanks!

• A test this is not, GH2 vs GH3 is already so subjective, and then when you make poorly attempted comparison videos and call them test it really gets ridiculous. If he didnt take the time to shoot with the same lens or similar lens, he probably didnt adjust ISO, or distance, as the crop of the cameras look off.

• Different lenses, zoom vs. prime in particular, are not a good idea. They influence scene contrast a lot.

I can shoot a scene with my old Tokina zoom vs. a modern prime and gain one and a half stop of DR, just because it's a lo-con lens.

• GH2 records levels 16-235, GH3 records 0-255. I think GH3 clips in dynamic range test above lacks 15 steps in highs and lows. You must not play or edit GH2 and GH3 clips same way. For example in potplayer or mpc you must set output levels correctly.

• This test is not correct and we can say it is an intriguing attempt from its creator.

• @Manu4Vendetta GH2 is with f10 brighter than with f9 and even brighter than with f8. Sorry I think this can not be without some automatic influencing the signal of the GH2. Or some mistake.

• The EVF has UNITS ARE PROBLEMS OR BAD? BETTER OR NOT THAT THE GH2 EVF?

• @Manu4Vendetta, that DR test video seems strange to me. If someone is going to do a test they need to at least make some kind of effort to match the conditions as much as possible. Starting with the lens. Why do a test like this using the 14-140 on one cam and the 20mm on the other? That just seems nuts to me. Then since the GH3 can be adjusted far more why would we use settings that are so far from those that we can set on the GH2? There has to be some kind of baseline in order to make a test useful. Still waiting to see a test done that is using best practices.

• Quick test, graded with Film Convert.

• If someone presents a better U$ 1299 option for video and camera I am all ears ...I would accept any opinion, Hitler´s included ....

• Someone share this opinion???

• Hey guys, I'm a complete noob about the Panasonics, having used a Canon for the last 5 years. I'm getting my GH3 tomorrow and was wondering what are the best settings to use for general narrative work? From what I've read, apparently the All-Intra isn't great?

• the GH3 Test with a little HolyGrain Filmgrain

• It is possible to record 4:3 footage with high bitrate and 24p on GH3, in order to get a 2.66:1 aspect with a 2x anamorphic lens?

• Squeezing the data from the sensor to something anamorphic has been done in early HDV already. It will never look like done by a lens. The very specific look of OOF areas and highlights is what everybody is asking for when going anamorphic.

• I want to have the posibility of shooting anamorphic (1920/800 if I want 2.4 aspect ratio) directily in camera. It will be the better at the easiest way... No adapters, no more work in post, less pixels to process=more room for codec. I tried with ptool for GH2, but it was only for mjpeg, and the result has not the natural proportions. So, what do you have to say about this guys? Since I posted this on the other GH3 thread and The Great Vitaly asked me to write here and he had nothing to say about this subject, I expect no more answers from you...Maybe it is an utopy... . I am quite sad... Two years ago, I wrote on dvxuser/AF100 about the possibility of zooming trought the size of the sensor, but, the same, no answer. Today, we have this option even on smartphone!!! Some cameras have it too. G5 and GH3 have a zoom roker, but this function not! Not yet! It is EX, but nobody wants zooming?!... Nobody wants to shoot 2.4 directly in camera? SO, tell me if it is utopic, or no use, or dificult to achieve, or imposible...

• An aerial and nocturn shot.

@kellar42, that look good.

• I have not seen this posted yet, Filmmaker Magazine frontpage on the GH3: http://filmmakermagazine.com/61709-shooting-angels-with-the-panasonic-gh3-in-mexico/

Video from the article:

• Sorry for so many posts but I also had to add that it's not mine but found.

• Published on Jan 1, 2013 GH2 vs GH3 Anamorphic Lens Tests

I was in a rush so the anamorphic isn't aligned correctly. This test is mainly for sharpness and color contrast between the GH2 and GH3.

Panasonic GH2 w/ Flow Motion v2.02 Hack, Vivid -2,-2,-2,-2 Panasonic GH3, Vivid -3,-5,-4,-5

Lenses used: Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 45-200mm F4-5.6 Panasonic LA7200 1.33x Anamorphic Sankor 2x Anamorphic

Perspective is different even though I used them on the same tripod. GH2 is 1.86x sensor crop, GH3 is 2x sensor crop.