Personal View site logo
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • He said 23.6

• Hey @Collinlandry, the 5dMk3 is not a 26 megapixel camera. Other than that, cool review...

• We dropped the NR down to -5, and got the best looking images out of the 50M setting. IMO the NR just blurs the noise. You can see it moving behind the blur. I'd rather turn that noise over to GHrain Killer or Neat Video.

• This shootout is a good thing and is an early part of the process to get the maximum image quality out of the GH3. I love my GH2 and use Apocalypse Now Boom. The amount of work and collaboration, by many on personal-view, done on the GH2 to get to the point where Apoc Now Boom was introduced, is quite a lot, and occurred over much time. My point is...it will take some time until we see both 1) the best possible quality from the GH3, plus 2) the variety of looks possible on the GH3. So while it's always good to make assessments (for and against), it's also good to give all the testers, and all of us here on personal-view, the necessary time and patience for the mastery of the GH3 to come to fruition.

My guess is that the people who are testing the GH3 are doing so because they have a feeling that this camera has some serious potential once it's been fully understood, fully tested, when Vitaliy hacks it, and when Driftwood and the gang start adding settings. I'm real curious to see what happens six months down the road. Maybe we'll have a cam doing some kick-ass imaging and maybe the price will drop to $999, which could mean the GH3 could end up being a real powerful tool.

Thanks @shian and @collierlandry for doing this test, and thanks all for weighing in with opinions. Happy New Year - Rock on

• @shian Great stuff so far, can't wait to see 50Mbps. Also, interested if you're test covers 24P movement issues that people seem to be remarking about.

@clyde_t et. al.

Can someone explain the benefits for and against bringing down noise reduction. How does this effect the images, make it easier/harder in post? Also, what happens when noise reduction is brought up into the positive?

Thx!

• i have a GH1 a GH2 and a GH3. so which one do i take out as my 'main axe?' so far it's the GH3. the quality of the footage does seem to vary quite a bit with the settings. like many, i have opted for lowering the sharpness, contrast, and saturation settings. however, i can't say i agree with the idea that noise reduction should be dialed-down. my latest tests are Natural -3, -4, -3, 0. i have had good results from tests outside in late afternoon when the sun is going down and everything is blue shooting ISO400 with the mov container both at 50mbits 30P and at 24P all-I. lowering noise reduction seems to quickly smash the all-i codec, but at 0 it looks good at 24P. i think the GH3 is an improvement over the GH2, in the build, design and features.

• The "reviews" segment where Collier and I discuss shooting with the cameras and our likes and dislikes is uploading now.

• Oh yeah... Just hailed here really hard. I had NO worries about running around in it knowing the Gh3 is weather sealed. Forgot the weather sealing!!!!

• We'll I was just playing around with the Gh2 and 3 doing the old spaghetti strainer test. I used the Flowmotion v2 on Gh2 and it failed on me twice before getting 20 secs of footage.

The ONLY thing the Gh2 has over the Gh3 is less moire. That's it. But like I said, it took me three times to record 20 secs of footage on the Gh2 even with the more reliable Flowmotion.

Were the Gh3 wins (too me) is the increased DR, the body build and monitors, more options to set up color profiles, 3 codecs, 1080/60p. How that is not an upgrade is beyond me.

• "It seems the more users are learning the GH3 the images are getting better. It's still early in the game."

@Aria Amen brother! Well said.

In the testing that @Shian and I did, we discovered after the 2nd day that the 72 All-I image clearly wasn't the way to go, especially with our across the board -5 settings. However, as you will see in part 4 of our shootout, the IPB at 50mbps in QT is simply amazing, IMHO. That look and the expanded DR combined with the new features of the camera AND the fact that the body now feels so much more pro is just awesome. I'm very happy with it. Not to mention that the battery seemingly lasts forever.

• Perhaps it's just me, but I can't understand some of the comments from the negative side about the image of the GH3. I can understand complaints about the EVF and LCD or some other physical issue, but from all the videos we've seen comparing the 2 cameras it's obvious that the 2 cameras are very close in terms of quality and so how can one be so bad that it's "no competition" for the other? Just seems strange to me.

One thing I do believe is a plus is the sheer amount of options we have now. You can record AVCHD, .MOV, ALL-I, IPB with different bit rates. You can make greater overall adjustments. We have 1080/60p. I mean the improvements seem to go on and on if you judge the entire camera. All of this is just the beginning of the GH3 life cycle. It seems the more users are learning the GH3 the images are getting better. It's still early in the game.

• @bannedindv

From what I have come to understand, the color shift is common across the board for OLED. Seems like every new tech has its +'s and -'s. Using it with a loop from straight on is pretty nice though. I'm still a big proponent of using the eye cup though.

• 50M tests coming in part 4 which is redemption time for GH3 and 5D.

@shian Yeah buddy, redemption couldn't have come a moment too soon!

• Love the one I tested. @collierlandry 's gh3. Only critique so far is the Color shift based on angle inherent to OLED screens. Would want to use an external monitor for color critical analysis when filming. For simply operating the camera independent of color judgement it's a huge leap up. Actually I think it's a big leap compared the gh2 screen period.

• @Butt, I came to that thought based on the fact that all your gh3 post are in response to another users post or video, I have not seen one video, or post where you mention your own experience with the GH3, your only relevant post state your opinion that the GH2 is better than the GH3... never mentioning why you believe so, never providing any support for your opinion other than... GH2 better for video... 3 weeks and no test footage, that Ive seen.

• @ARTnVIDEO wrong - I have extensively tested the GH3, and that for three weeks - OK!

• I am amazed by all the people raving about the GH3. The current release isn't at all what I hoped for. The firmware is buggy, there are many issues (cadence, noise, artifacts, some crashes), the All-I is crappy and noisy, there is more visual unpleasant noise in the footage and quality issues with the OLED screen.

Not too say that it is a bad camera, but I think the GH2 has a more pleasant and cinematic image quality. The green cast of the GH2 has been replaced by a nice magenta cast of the Sony sensor. Still image quality wise, the JPEG quality is behind the OMD-5 and the RAW quality is about the same (but a big improvement over the GH2). That is pretty disappointing if you take into account that Panasonic had a year to improve upon Olympus' work. Look at Nikon to see what you can do with a Sony sensor if you know what you are doing. Nikon smokes Sony's with Nikon image processing on output from the same sensor.

Down the line, the GH3 will improve and with a hack there is huge potential but right now, I don't see many good reasons to upgrade a hacked GH2 to a GH3, especially with regards to the price of both camera's. I have a strong feeling that most people want to justify their camera purchase but judging from the sample footage I have seen and my own experiments, the GH3 doesn't live up to the hype that Panasonic created. It is amazing though to see what a 1.100 EURO camera can do nowadays.

I will wait for a 1.1. firmware or a hack and have returned my camera for now.

• I'd be curious to hear Nick Driftwood's opinion on comparing GH2, GH3.. what's his preference?

To me clear going to keep GH2, in fact ordered one more!)

• @jimagine: that was beautiful!

• "cadence issues with 50mb .mov" can you show me example what is cadence, please

• @Butt - you do not have the GH3 right? How can "you" measure, and compare the competition between the two camera's without owning/using the GH3. This camera is still very new and only a small amount of people actually have the camera, early firmware, and no hack... yet you keep spewing your obvious opinion that almost seems as to be some sorta masked jealousy or something.

• @Conundrum I haven't experienced cadence issues with 50mb .mov. Weird that it is happening to some and not others. Hope it gets resolved by Panasonic. Sucks to have an issue like that.

@Butt No competition? Are you serious? Watched the Shian test and even with the wrong settings it competes very well against the GH2 running over twice the bitrate. It clearly beats the GH2 in dynamic range and skin tones and has a much nicer per-graded image. We all get that you have no desire to buy a GH3 but please stop making such clearly false statements. The GH3 is more than competition for the GH2 in its stock state.

• @Conundrum @From_Paris at present can / should we hope for a hack by Vitaliy - the GH3 is at present no competition for the GH2 "Hack Vitaliy"

• yesterday i did some simple tests back-to-back with the GH2 using intravenus 1080 24P and the GH3 at 1080 30P 50mbit and 1080 30P All-I.

they all looked surprisingly similar noise-wise. i won't miss the green cast in the shadows of the GH2. i didn't see that in the GH3 at all.

all-I has potential. some shots look fine and others break it to the point where it looks like MJPEG from a 1990s Media 100. i''d love to see it at 150mbits. it's a useful mode because it decodes so fast. i don't have to transcode to edit it.

thanks @shian for your excellent effort putting together the shoot-out clips. really interesting to see.