Personal View site logo
Is there an alternative to Vimeo
  • 51 Replies sorted by
  • On exposureroom you can still download the original uploaded file.
    For example this online video is 10.49mb

When you choose to download the file, you get the original uploaded bobbie.mov 445.15MB 00:00:41
    i uploaded it 2 months ago..........

• Feel i have to defend vimeo somewhat here. This is my experience with them.

Been with Vimeo plus for 2 years, never had a issue with any of the 180 videos I have uploaded on there with 2million+ loads. Awesome service for $60 bucks a year.

Also have some videos on Exposureroom, very little reason to use it other than the medium embedded playback bitrate is 2000kbps at 640 x 360 compared to Vimeo at 700kbps which was handy for quality playback in small player sizes.

The comprehensive stats on Vimeo and the easy embeddability are the main reasons to use Vimeo for if you are a business. Another benefit, is couch mode makes a great interface for Internet TV and cable boxes as a distribution network.

• @Rambo. Those are valid points Rambo and for some, Vimeo is the ticket. I was with them for a little more than two years as a paid user but I don' use image hosting for anything than tests and occasional playing or political poking. I really don't want things that go on DVD on the net.

The simple fact is what they did provide when I paid for the service, is not available anymore. Unless I use Chrome (which I'm not going to do) I can't even upload video's, so what's the point in paying for them.

The other end of the argument is their evasive way of handling complaints. I can go to You Tube and have complaints ignored for free.

• @subco I tend to agree. The quality is good, I don't like filling out that form each time but that's just laziness. I have three web sites and can embed videos on any of them. EM isn't any slower to process than Vimeo (Which was irritating ...Any minute now"...As a free service, it's light years ahead of Vimeo and darn close if not equal to my paid account with them.

• I hate to be some kind of a lone voice here - but when you can own, store and play your videos elsewhere, I wouldn't just donate my content to somebody else's marketing platform.

• Exposure room is fine if you don't need stats, ( even mr bloom has an acct there :-)) But my business depends on reliable stats, especially these two > ( I'll list them here in case it helps someone else )

1. Geographical location of video plays
    2. Total plays vs Finished plays ( which tells you if the video was played all the way through to the finish)

All my clients get detailed stats and feedback of the video they contracted me to produce, it helps them raise sponsorship dollars for their events when they can provide proof of exposure.

If you want more than one hosting service, upload once to TubeMogul, they simultaneously reup the video to dozens of other sites, you do lose content ownership though as Roberto posted.

• I test this site (peteava.ro) from my country. Look this clip from gh3 .

1.Is free! 2.Upload up to 1GB. 3.clip < 15 min - unlimited. 4.clip > 15 min - 3 clips/ day.

The result: (click on HD ON - option of player) http://www.peteava.ro/id-931589-gh3-50p-slow-motion-test-at-the-christmas-market

and this is vimeo encoding:

• @dadix Thanks! The Romanian to English translator is a little quirky and I have no idea what the embedding options are, but other than it looks very good.

• blip.com is an option, Honestly I dont think youtube is as horrendous as most make it out to be.

• For the last year, none of my Vimeo videos had the sound line up with the video, so I stopped using it. Many users have this problem, and we were told we were not exporting our videos properly. First they said we were using VBR, which we were not, then they said we were using VFR. VFR? Wow. I hope they can fix it. It is kind of humorous though that a lot of people on their tech support can't tell if the audio matches up with the video, can't read metadata and assume all the end users are stupid.

• @peternap google chrome browser has a good translator built-in. This site (peteava.ro) for embedding has 5 option for dimension, 1 for autoplay, 1 for subtitles (yes if you want you can add translation - .srt and .txt files), you can upload up to 50 video clips or images per session simultaneously.

vimeo standard acount: overall bit rate: 863 Kbps; video bit rate:750 Kbps; audio bit rate:109 Kbps; audio sampling rate: 48.0 KHz; Format profile : High@L3.1; Width: 640 pixels; Height: 360 pixels;

vimeo plus: overall bit rate: 4 755 Kbps; video bit rate: 4 500 Kbps; audio bit rate: 253 Kbps; audio sampling rate: 48.0 KHz; Format profile: High@L4.0; Width: 1 920 pixels; Height: 1 080 pixels;

peteava.ro (HD DEF- option of the player) - free. overall bit rate: 2 416 Kbps; bit rate: 2 177 Kbps; maximum bit rate: 3 859 Kbps; audio bit rate: 125 Kbps; audio maximum bit rate: 142 Kbps; audio sampling rate: 48.0 KHz; Format profile: High@L3.1; Width: 944 pixels; Height: 528 pixels;

This analyse is for "GH3 50p slow motion test at the Christmas market" clip from above.

vimeo_vs_peteava_video-encoding_details

vimeo_vs_peteava_video-encoding_details.txt
  • Not much alternatives to Vimeo exist. Their quality is still better than Youtube.

• Welll....I kept my free account but didn't use it for a long time but last month started looking at it again. It appears that they have fixed some of the problems other than the whiney staff, and I haven't found a good alternative yet.

I went ahead and got a pro account and so far....it's worked fine. Hopefully someone will give them some competition soon because I still have a bad taste left over.

• @peternap though it seems the loop has completed and you're back to vimeo, I'd like to leave another possibility.
    creativecow: 1Gb, no duration limit, basic view count and sharing. the thing is in the Full-size Compressed HD option you've got pretty high IQ with logical slower streaming in return. I'll leave a 720p24 specs from a video I uploaded last year

gashô

• My main complaint with Vimeo is that about a year ago they did something to the interface which messes up the audio playback. Not only is the audio out of sync, but videos I uploaded years ago that played perfect now have the audio out of sync. For me, this is unacceptable and is simply not professional level. Plus they for months blamed the uploaders instead of admitting they have a huge problem, and accused people of using VBR and a bunch of other BS because their tech ppl could not read the metadata. They even insisted that "you video is using VFR (variable frame rate) and that is the issue, please reupload your video" blah blah blah. So countless ppl recoded and reuploaded when in fact Vimeo just could not read the metadata (I had to send them a screen shot with the metadata before they would believe something was wrong).

The sad thing is they could fix this, but they haven't.

• Whether you’re a current Vimeo PRO member or joining for the first time, opt into the new, wildly upgraded PRO to feel the power coursing through every fiber of your being:

It’s got more. Of everything. We gave Vimeo PRO a massive power upgrade, with more storage, fewer limits, and better support, all for the same ridiculously affordable price.

Store up to 1,000 GB a year That’s 1TB! With the new Vimeo PRO, you can upload 20GB each week — in other words, about 5 hours of HD video every 7 days.

Unlimited plays everywhere PRO members enjoy totally unchecked, completely unrestricted, and utterly unlimited plays anywhere their videos appear online.

http://vimeo.com/blog/post:595

• Been on Vimeo Plus for a number of years, great company and will be upgrading to Pro, but just informed by Blip that my acct from 2007 is to be closed and videos deleted in Nov. Apparently I no longer fit their preferred user. Thanks Blip.

• Vimeo is great...with the exception of the delayed/slow streaming. ..and audio sync issues that have been around for at least a year and half that I've been paying attention. That combined with the BS by vimeo staff re these problems really sends many people over to YouTube because...it works. Too bad, because Vimeo is great when everything's clicking and going smoothly.

@Vimeo For God's sake Vimeo...you're running a video playing website....make the videos actually play!!

• I finally went back and got a new pro account but I agree,,,,that whiny, snotty problem ignoring staff is real hard to deal with.

• i'm about to get a plus account but what i dislike the most right now about vimeo is the search function, unsuable imo.

• I have some serious audio synch playback issues on Vimeo currently, with a music video that is pretty important. Very pissed off about it actually. In their defense, the files they have made are all fine if downloaded. But flash player has a 3 frame latency between audio and video. HTML5 player takes a massive poo on the color. Im about ready to cancel my account, honestly. Severe audio synch is no laughing matter, seeing as I have 5 other music videos in the pipeline. I cant imagine it really is just flash player. Even if it is, it must be their files in relation to flash, or their way of implementing flash, or something. I cant imagine that all flash videos everywhere have this problem.

• @B3Guy Try YouTube, it works. In my opinion the audio sync problem may never go away as it's been there for a year or longer, and the Vimeo staff vacillates between denying the problem exists, offering workarounds that don't work, and promising that the site is getting new upcoming improvements. Many people say it works fine for them, but many also run into sync problem. If you are truly locked into using Vimeo for some reason, take a look at the workarounds some are trying to see if they work. Good luck.

• I have been with regular VIMEO for a few years now and really like the HD possibilities.I shoot home videos of swimming in rough seas for fun(no really!) and have always chosen great music to accompany.I have around 25 full videos on there with soundtracks that have been credited to appropriate bands.Seems since summer they won't now let you upload a video with copyright music even with credits.Aside from composing myself,there is little scope with copyright-free music to complement a video edit.I am not a fan of youtube however I am now not a fan of Vimeo.Would have thought it up to the end-user e.g. me to be told by a record label etc if they would rather I didn't use their music but I see it as a good advert for bands (unless my videos suck!) Any suggestions for a good free alternative to vimeo with same HD qualities?

• As the world approaches a digital singularity, copyrights will be on everything. Eventually, at the library you will see "smart" photocopiers that license the copies. So we all need to get used to it. Own what you film, every inch, every atom. Only way to go now.

• @triskel that's a quite individual interpretation of copyrights and legal act. What about asking the artist and/or holder of right before using their properties? Don't you think it's up to them to decide? "I am making advert" is a real lame excuse.

the problem with vimeo is the same as with most social media: by using their service you accept their legal and terms which means you grant all rights to them including free sublicense to third party. This is a concern if you upload media of your clients but also if you don't have the absolute rights