Personal View site logo
Hacked GH1 vs. Hacked GH2
  • 86 Replies sorted by
  • There's a window of ISO values where you get a nice grain from the GH1 indoors. And slightly less aliasing. But the GH2 with flowmotion patch you can push it a bit better in post. No question you can take some great vid with the GH1.

• @endotoxic Yes I'm agree, gh1 is not dead ! We juste finalise a 52 minutes documentary all shooted with a Gh1.. Maybe it is the first one ( and the last too ). A teaser coming soon here..

• @rrivkin
    You posted in wrong thread here. Spend bit of time reading the topics- especially those for beginners, FAQ and topics with patches. Those questions have been answered many times, there you will find your answers.

• I wonder, why do not the shutter speed 20,15,10, 4,2 at Gh1 (FHD Mode) ? Is it possible to Gh2 and Gh3? Is there a solution with ptool?

• Okey, we all know that hacked GH2 is a better camera than GH13, and GH3 is better than GH2.

BUT... here is a provocative question:if you forget about the price and put the same glass on all cameras, which one will look most cinematic??? Please note, I did not ask "which camera is the sharpest, or which camera has the best statistics or technical properties" ... my question is more like the one asked during the 2012 Zacuto shootout -- just look at the footages and ask yourself which one FEELS most like a film??? Which one feels most cinematic? GH13, GH2 hacked, GH3 or BMC

Personally, from the footages that I've seen, yes BMC has great latitude/dynamic range (!), but somehow GH2 footages feel a bit more cinematic. And when comparing GH2 with GH13, very often there are situations where the less crispy image of GH13 delivers a much more cinematic feel than the GH2. Has anyone else noticed this? (Once again - please forget about the price differences and technical data -- and just look at comparison footages with that in mind)

• @simurg it's possible with GH2 for sure (even without hack I think), not sure about GH3, but you're right, impossible on GH1. I asked @Vitaliy_Kiselev a few months back about it, he says he'll try to look at it, but obviously he has other bigger priorities right now

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev What's the dynamic range of a hacked GH1 and GH2? I can't find this information anywhere on internet. Please help.

• Using lpowell patches on my gh1 and gh2, I don't see a huge difference in quality between the two cameras. I'll use the GH2 in lower light conditions and if I need a client monitor feed. Otherwise, I trust the GH1 more - less workarounds (iso bug, green tint blah blah). I also like the smaller file sizes I get with the GH13 :). But the dynamic range of the BMCC is something to behold..

• @kronstadt
    The GH1 has ca 0.6 EV bigger DR than the GH2, is better for still photography and in well-lit conditions about as good as the GH2.

I prefer it in many situatuons to GH2 and find it to be more reliable workhorse, especially for the long takes.

Sharpness of the GH2 is causing in many situations disturbing moiré, which is difficult to avoid even when set to -2 and by using vintage lenses. Sharpening of the GH1 in post looks also as sharp as the GH2 can be.

I avoid to say one GHx is "better" than the other GHx, they are just different and one suits your needs often better than the other one.

• The more days pass for my big buy on equipment, and the more i think about getting again a GH1 for cinematography reasons.

GH1 has the best sensor at low iso from the 3 ones. The image is just better.

• I dont know.I couldnt live with the fpn on the GH1.