Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • Oh, and @Vitaliy_Kiselev can you tell us how far you are off the purchase price of a gh3. Let's do this pledge drive style and get you that money!

• @5mars "I have a GH2 and I hesitate to invest in GH3, preferring to wait for blackmagic MFT (unfortunately I'm not very patient)"

You'll need to be very patient. I preordered a EF version in July and have been told by the manufacturer that I likely will not get my order until march at earliest, and probably much later. So who knows for m43 versions. Anyway, I'm cancelling it and buying a gh3. I'll wait until 2014 to buy a 2k+ camera, by which time there should be an active mount m43 bmcc and the sony-red war should have knocked off some $$ (oh, and lets not forget the 4k varicam).

Its funny, but what convinced me, other than the delay, was how incredibly the AF is. As someone who has to shoot solo (so is thinking as much about sync or sound than focus), or has to shoot things that require AF (pretty much anything that flies) I'm very impressed by this development. In fact (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) is there any non-CCD camera that has better autofocus than the gh3???

• @FilmingArt the hack is stable - a year long use without problems

• I have a GH2 and I hesitate to invest in GH3, preferring to wait for blackmagic MFT (unfortunately I'm not very patient). If there was the ability to shoot in 720p 120fps my choice would be certainly different but other features like HDR, wifi interest me on gh3. With wifi, do you think it is possible to program a timelapse app that would change shutter speed according to the brightness? To go further, is the ability to communicate with tablets/smartphones could enable the creation of application by independent developers?

• Ahhh, you ordered yet?

• @sicovdplas

I answered this few times. I do not have body yet.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev How the 'Panasonic' GH3 hack is progressing, you collected money for the camera(s) right?

• How is the GH3 hack going?

I do not know that you mean here.

• @gaman

Thank you for your reply and your test. Does the 2x mode work in 1080p60/50 or just in 24/25/30?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

How is the GH3 hack going?

• @brudney
    @hay

This topic is not about GH2 and hacks stability, move to proper topic.

• @driftwood

Excellent, enjoyed that! Mob bosses and Hitlers in bunkers really need to get out to a camera store and check things out, rather than rely on flunkies and generals!

• i returned my gh3 after comparing its footage with that captured from gh2 stock, gh2 flowmotion and gh2 v9b.

although i think the gh3 sensor is slightly better than that of the gh2, i think the imaging characteristics are very minor, not enough for me to keep the gh3 (even with improved body design).

my real question now is how much better is hacked gh2 footage than stock. if you convert the mts via 5dtorgb to prores 422hq and grade in AE w/444 export the differences i see are minute. i'll keep using the hacks b/c i do see they have slight benefit (many thanks to all involved), but i really wish this site had more substantive technical comparisons ("blind style") between stock and hacked settings (and even between hacks) using charts. it seems to me that hack rivalry, apparent on many threads, has resulted in unhealthy biases.

• Yeah, I've never ever had any problems with hacks. You just gotta know which one to use. Honestly, from what I've see so far, GH3 seems to be a really nice camera. Great build, great lcd, nice codec, etc. My biggest gripe, as a hobbyist and not a m4/3 fanboy, is its price. I just can't justify spending twice/thrice as much for a camera that takes slightly better pictures and outputs similar/worse video than a hacked GH2. No can do. Especially since there's D600 out there for slightly more. I'll wait a couple of months for G6 and then decide.

• @FilmingArt

I have never had ONE problem with the hack at all. Never once, in a year of shooting tons of footage and events. Just make sure you fallowing the SD card requirements for the patch your using.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev

It is incorrect statement. In GH3 it is all the same :-)

Oh ok, cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

• @FilmingArt You have obviously had problems with GH2 hacks. My experience is not the same; I have been using my GH2 hacked since I bought it almost two years ago and I can categorically say most GH2 hacks are stable. Perhaps you are using the more aggressive hacks meant to push the camera to its limits. If you stay with a hack that does not push to the extreme, I find them very stable. You should ask in a thread why you have had bad experience.

• GH2 hack is NOT stable..... I don't care what anyone says, it is simple not stable. Also there's more to a camera than just an image. Even if the GH2 and GH3 had the same image, the build and button options are worth the upgrade. GH2 is built horribly, GH3 is a lot better. Also the oled screen is beautiful.

• @driftwood What happens with the street 1'11-1'20? It flickers on my screen quite strong...is it my screen (where I just watched, it was only XGA one), Vimeo compression issue or does it look indeed the same way in the original file? (I mean your test footage with the Boss calling....)

• @bwhitz perhaps, the whole "cinematic texture" that you talk about is what you can push in post and not something that's just a result of a footage straight from the camera?

• @Manu4Vendetta clip does look like something shot on a Canon 5dmk3.. (take is as a compliment, no less, I mean shot for less money) yet images do not scream "extra definition", like GH2 used to.. also notice more chroma clipping, on people skin in latest clip.. just an observation, imho.

• Ok i will test it on GH3.

Theoreticlly one could use ETC AND digital-zoom (this works on GH2). So you can make Video with many focal-lengths only with the 20mm/1.7.

• @JDN: what are you thoughts on the x2 digital zoom for video. How much does quality suffer?

In this test you can see a shoot to show the differences between 2X digital zoom and ETC 2.6X on GH2. Aside the clear difference in dept of field given by the ETC mode, that makes the GH2 sensor acting like a 1/2" sized one, the two images are pretty the same.

Panasonic GH2 Test2.png
    1919 x 999 - 1M
  • It is great to be able to play back, span, all on a standard sd card, plug in headphones and a normal mic and not get errors.