Personal View site logo
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • All we've tested so far is High DR scenes 16:1- 64:1 in available light and/or single bounce, at 1080 24p 72Mbit ALL-I setting. Very disappointed with the noise in the shadows. Tried a myriad of settings from -5 NR to +2 and even at ISO200 the noise in the shadows bugs me. All the NR seems to do is blur the noise slightly, but you can still see it moving under the blur. At first I thought it was just the high ISO when testing 6400 - 800, but it's there at every ISO. I hate the skin tones, they look video-y (It looks very much like sony footage). So far it's getting pounded by the Intravenus GH2 IMO. What it has gained in DR, it loses in grain character. If hacking this thing changes the noise characteristic, then it has some serious potential. For now, nothing is making me want one.

• my first impressions. The low light response is just sick. It feels better to hold, but major macro blocking in the blue channel at 800 ISO more so than GH2 Intravenus at same ISO, and skin tones look like crap. But black response is crazy. So much detail all the way down to pure black.

• @shian interested to hear your impression

• Has anyone tested the high dynamic range profile in video mode then do some colour grading to see how it holds up?

• @driftwood what would you say the flattest setting is on the GH3? (A la Smooth -2 across the board) I have access to one for the next 3 days, and gonna do some testing. Just looking to save some time if possible.

• @lucapasturini: I think that quote is from Wally Pfister. :)

I see many people today confuse cinematic with blured. I've seen plenty of movies, including some that have won festivals where the look seems video, or the picture is too detailed and nobody messes with that, but on the Internet everyone is an expert what film and what is video.

I also believe the series GH's, -at least in my short experience with the GH2 and from what I've seen-, gives better cinematic aspect combined with old lenses. Modern lenses mostly a look plasticine.

• GH3 AF-S test with 45-200mm lens. 40% slow motion. Minimal hunting or confusion seems visible during focus acquisition on dead center of frame. Password: GH3AFS

• Can anyone tell me what the GH3's shutter sounds like? or even direct me to a video?

• I just encountered a bug with 40% slow motion in the .mov container. When the clip is inserted into a Sony Vegas timeline the file becomes much longer than the final conformed length. Basically the final frame repeats until the end of the clip. It's easy enough to drag the clip length back to fix it, but I figure it's an annoyance worth mentioning.

That being said, the quality of the codec is ridiculously good on this SOB. I'm running with contrast at -5 and sharpness at 0, and it's grading very nicely. The shutter makes a beautiful sound in stills mode, it almost makes you feel like you're shooting shit with a rail gun. ChaWoooosh!!

• "@driftwood

So what is this problem of saccades with .mov 50 mbs at 1/50e?"

I transferred the 50mbs clips directly to an ipad retina and the motion seems smoother, but judder is still very apparent at 24p@1/50 and 30p@1/60. When played back on my Mac Pro at full screen the motion is truly terrible and there almost appears to be some tearing in the image. Transcoding to Prores does not really help things either.

Mr. Driftwood, have you not noticed any of this in your experimentation? Is there something that we just don't get?

• @driftwood

So what is this problem of saccades with .mov 50 mbs at 1/50e?

• @From_Paris No big bug. 25p in mov 50M mode is AVCHD Progressive (AVCHD v2) High Profile level 5, 25p wrapped in 50i 24M is level 4 - as in GH2 AVCHD.

• @uzland that video made me very hungry.

• @Cbrandin

True 25P in .mov (50 mbs). In AVCHD : 25P wrapped in 50i (24 mbs).

So big bug!

25P Intra 72 mbs is ok. But noises! Too much also in 200 ISO. Not goof finally.

• Is the 25p actually 25p, or is it 25p wrapped in 50i? Wrapped 25p isn't encoded in the same way as true 25p - rather it is encoded as half intra and half inter interlaced, even though both halves are derived from a single image. Unwrapping it will not produce exactly the same result as a true 25p encoding.

• What is the best format in 24p for wedding videos - .*mov or AVCHD? AVCHD is easier to work with on FCP though.

• @jjay, @cbrandin I am bothered by the jittery moves too. To figure out if this a GH3 flaw or my monitor/vimeo combination, I looked at other shots made with different, more expensive hardware. No such problems there. See for example http://benjamineckstein.com/2012/06/silencio/ - shot with SONY F3.

• @ cbrandin

Yes same problem when displayed on camera. It is visible as soon as I do "rec". I never had this problem with GH2 in 24P or 25P. Ordinateur : macbook Pro retina.

I think the problem is coming from the 25P.

• At 25P you would need to have a monitor refresh rate of 50, 75, or 100Hz to avoid the cadence problem. Does the footage show the same stuttering, etc... when displayed on-camera? Maybe there's something about your computer setup than doesn't like the GH3 video files.

• @jjay @cbrandin

I just try it this afternoon :

No, true problem : 25P / 50 mbs at 1/50e = stuttering, saccades, jerking movements in all!

I am disappointed.

• Video captured at 24 FPS will always exhibit an uneven motion cadence when displayed on a monitor refreshing at 60 Hz because 60 isn't divisible by 24. If you can increase the refresh rate to 72 Hz on your monitor things should look better for 24 FPS footage (assuming you haven't rendered it to 60 FPS). However, then 30 and 60 FPS footage will end up looking odd because 72 isn't divisible by 30 or 60. Ideally you would want to change the monitor refresh rate according to framerate.

• I would expect that the 50Mb long GOP video should look very good on the GH3 - at least as good as GOP12 at 66Mb on the GH2 - probably even better.

The 72Mb all I frame video probably won't look very good. At 72Mb GOP1 streams will have small I frames - about 375 kilobytes each. Even at 24Mb a GOP12 stream can have I frames up to around 1 megabyte. I frame size pretty much limits image quality, and 375 kilobytes just isn't enough. In order to maintain reasonable individual frame quality, Nick Driftwood had to push data rates to over 150Mb for some of his all I frame (GOP1) settings.

• Seen it in every GH3 sample video so far : stuttering video in pans and object movements... Is this due to Youtube/Vimeo compression or can you guys see this in the source material too ?

Thanks !

• Reminds me of my ex. She is dead to me, but the pilaf lives on...

• :) It was indeed delicious.