Personal View site logo
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • Im with @shian on this. It is pretty obvious Filmingart doesn't know much about postproduction...

Anyway here are a couple of tests I did with GH3 and GH2 with the same lenses. They are rough and quickly shot so it is more to keep people waiting before some real tests are made.

• @Shian Show me the universe you live in where an 8bit codec can be brought into 32bit world..... You sir are an Hobbit from the land of Oz...... No matter how much you think, you cannot ADD information that is NOT there..... Lets see how good the GH3 codec hold up before it blows up......

@Driftwood great work!

• BTW - doing side-by-side tests with GH3 and GH2 Intravenus this week. Looking at Dynamic Range - color profiles, and grading.

• @FilmingArt that face palm was for you.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3773/expose-in-the-zone-getting-the-best-image-for-grading./p1

Please get a clue before talking out of your ass. I have demonstrated over and OVER that what you stated is absolute and total bullshit. The only universe in which what you said holds water is if you are editing, grading and finishing in FCP 7 or lower (10bit max NLEs). The rest of the post-production world - the 32bit world - can just ignore your little nugget.

• Unedited/ungraded mini-feature showing off the capabilities of Panasonic's new GH3 shotgun condenser microphone, the DMW-MS2. This version will be replaced over the next few days (when I get time to do an edit/grade). Written, shot and put together in an afternoon.

• IMO flat image and being able to reduce in camera sharpness will allow users to be able to do a better job of tweaking those settings via software in their much more powerful and flexible computer editing systems. I'm not a pro, but i've seen some unbelievable levels of sharpening and color editing done in post. I've been blown away by some work i've seen.

I like what we've seen so far from the GH3 in terms of an image that can be tweaked to be less over sharpened, over saturated and less contrasty than was possible with the GH2 where you couldn't adjust the settings as much as the GH3. We now know that the -5 settings on the GH3 go beyond what was possible on the GH2. I like that the GH3 doesn't have that GREEN TINT of the GH2. IF anything i'm hoping Pany or someone will come up with Color Profiles like other cameras have developed.

• @filmingArt are you sure about this? GH1 and GH2 are both 8bit camera and still everybody recommended to use the flattest settings possible to have better room in post. I am still not used to GH3 but m guess would be the same. Unless there's a profile and settings that were found to be the best using non-flat settings... then this should be a well kept secret since nobody talked about it around here...

• @shian you did make me chuckle there

• face palm

• @tenjin

This camera is only 8 bit, you DO NOT want to be recording so flat. All you are doing is destroying your image. Get all of the color possible when shooting. Leave all settings at 0. By you shooting so flat you are basically killing the color fidelity of your image. Only when shooting raw on such 10-12 but cameras should this EVER be used.

I repeat once again DO NOT ever shoot with such flat settings, it will introduce so many problems. Get your look you want IN CAMERA, this will give you the best possible image.

• I recorded a footage with 1080 24p at 72mb/s in *mov format and when I transcoded it to ProRes through MPEG Streamclip the resulting footage came out to be around 300 mb/s. So does this mean anything? Any difference between 72mb/s and 300mb/s?

• @ tenjin

i agree with you. any idea, in technical terms, why ALL-I would be inferior to IPB? also of note, the 1080p screen grabs from the files i have on hand (using both v9b patch and stock profile) look much better at 100% than ALL-I gh3. IPB on the gh3, alternatively, looks cleaner - though still appears more video-ish.

• I am uploading 2 test footage with a few shots compairing GH2 and GH3 with same lenses and settings, i'll post it here later.

From what I can see now, the 72mbps All-I looks to be inferior to 50mbps. There are lots of macro blocks noises, especially at iso200. Also the amount of details seems inferior as well.

Another thing i noticed is that at same settings the image of the GH3 is darker than the GH2, by around 1 stop. The exact same impression I got at the time from my GH2 compared to the GH1...

I didnt have the time to test the profiles... (i used standard -4 -3-3-3). Has anyone discovered the "flattest" profile?

• @AndersM and @tenjin I got my GH3 yesterday and the disappearing info after 10 seconds is bugging me too. I´m suprised nobody mentioned this earlier or am I missing a setting?

Also not being able to use the ex.tele mode in 50p-mode bugs me a lot.

And why can´t you turn the recording off in wifi-mode? This makes no sence to me. Should have been a choice in a setting if somebody wants it that way.

• @tenjin The disappearing info after 10 seconds is bugging the hell out of me too. If anyone here have any contacts with people at Panasonic, please tell them what a useless and annoying "feature" this is.

• My 2 cents....

link for ipad users, visit my page: https://vimeo.com/pilpop

please read the description on vimeo for more details or download the video for 1080p.

• here are the few shots I managed to do this afternoon. I didnt have much time but I'll make some other tests tomorrow.

I used rec mode 24p, 72mbps all-i. Standard mode (-4, -3, -3, -3). Shot with Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 for close-ups and Nikkor 85mm f1.8. Except the shot at 01:14 which is with Ex. Tele mode. (with Nikkor 85mm)

• i too like the feel of this camera, improved features and capability of new the codec. there is one thing im curious to hear from others about: after viewing at 100% several frame grabs from clips where low iso values used @ 1080 with both all-i @ 72 and avchd @ 50 - i dont like the look of the pixel structure as much as the gh2 (with or w/o patches), which looks almost as organic as film grain. this was most evident in out of focus areas - for lensing i used a zeiss 50mm 1.4 ze planar t plus adapter and older nikon 50mm 1.4 (tried both at various apertures). the gh3 grabs, up close, exhibit blockier, digital video-like pixel characteristics.

is anyone else seeing this? do any links exists to detailed gh3 sensor specs?

will try to post examples later. im not complaining, i do like the clarity of the gh3 image...this is merely an observation that relates to the imaging characteristics of the new vs old sensor.

• I got it a couple of days ago but couldn't use it because of urgent work for a client. So I went out to try the beast this afternoon. Overall I am pretty pleased with it. A few things seems weird but I can't comment on them yet because it may be my lack of knowledge of the camera (info disapearing after 10 sec while recording??). The body is indeed much better. It's a bit bigger than GH2, but in my opinion it's for the best and an improvement. The Wifi function seems to be quite good and im already excited as to what a hack could achieve to give further control (monitoring while recording would be the most obvious one but there are lots of other things!) I like the menus, the quality of the screen, the position of buttons. So I shot some animals this afternoon, I am uploading a small video right now on vimeo. I used Voigtlander 25mm and Nikkor 85mm. I only had the time to put the shots together and do a real quick color correction (but i am uploading first an untouched version), so I didn't really inspected the quality of the shots. Looks good for now. :) I'll put the video here once it's finished uploading.

• Couple of questions from a new user:

1. Has anyone else noticed that the exposure darkens upon half press and record? I think the GH2 did the same thing but please remind me.
    2. Has everyone settled on the 50Mb MOV codec? I was reading that the All-I codecs introduced some weird artifacts?
  • Ok, facts and my opinion about the GH3.

The Body is solid built. A Card with 15 MB/sec is enough to be used at 50mbps and 72 mbps (=9 MByte/Second). But with 50 and 72 mbps your card-speed will be your smallest problem. The bigger Problem is, that on a 8 GB-Card only about 15 Min of Video can be taken, before it's full. In the Time Lapse-Function you set Start Time or "Start Now", you set time between shots (in Minutes and seconds, up to 99 min 59 seconds) and Total Count of Pictures. GH3 shows you the time of the last Picture. If Time between Shots is more than 5 Minutes, GH3 goes directly after each Shot in Sleep-Mode and wakes up around 30 Seconds before the next Shot. This even Works with electronic Shutter.

I fotographed my self this morning between 6 and 08:30 as i was sleeping... Electronic Shutter is very good, but is limited to 1 Second Shutter-Time and to ISO 1'600 and it has Rolling Shutter. In Movie-Mode you can select Frame rate, but first you select your Format (AVCHD, MOV, MP4). If you want 1280x720p25 you first have to choose MP4, because only this Format support this Framerate and Size. 72mbps with ALL-INTRA you can only use at 25p in HD and Full-HD. Thi Video-Mode goes up to ISO 6400 which is more than GH2 (Stock) and less than GH2 (Hacked). In Photomode it goes to 12'800, with "Extendend ISO On" to 25'600. I believe to 12'800 is "real" ISO, and 25'600 is "software-Push".

I don't understand why Videos does not go to 12'800. But 6'400 is OK. I have to change my Habbits from the GH2, because some things changed. Now it has a level (gauge?), which can be helpfull. In Trains it even shows me if the train breaks or speeding up. The ON/OFF-Thing and the AUtofocus and the dials are harder to move than on GH2. It has a few of "Fun-Functions", for example "Multi-Exposure" or the Miniature-Effect. It is bigger than GH2, but after 1 hour it's normal to hold GH3, i only feel the difference, when i take GH2. The Record-Button reacts more quicly than on GH2. But it also stops 1-2 Seconds BEFORE you stop the Recording. (Example: If you want to Record 5 Seconds of Video, you have to stop at 6 or 7 Seconds, then you have 5 Seconds recorded). I hope this helps somepeople.

• Can’t wait for the next part, thank you Nick. Will you write a bit about the DMW-MS2? I’m very interested in this microphone.

• The next part in the GH3 Reviews, '7: GH3 Demobbed' will be up tomorrow that will include a look at Panasonic's DMW-MS2 stereo shotgun microphone (designed with the GH3 in mind) being employed in the feature. Here's a pic of actor Jim Whyte in the forthcoming film. Vimeo Nick Driftwood for previous articles.

Screen Shot 2012-12-07 at 19.16.48.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
  • Me too, the only one thing I want to know is how is GH3 with manuals lenses. Voigtländer / SRL Magic / Canon FD / Nikkor...