Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
JuicedLink Little DARling recorder
  • 57 Replies sorted by
  • I'm partial to the Tram TR50.

• I've been waiting all this time. No XLR input?

• I can see where this could be a real advantage over wireless in some situations. And it is a nicer form factor. But since it's not possible to ride levels, the extra headroom of 24/48 would be better. Normally, you set the levels a bit low on a bodypack in case the talent yells. Maybe the 16dB pad covers that.

• I think the 16 db will cover even very loud yelling.

• Juicedlink offers significant discount if you're buying 2 or more, and the discount increases with quantity. Details on their site

• Oh no! That user interface is ridiculous. Actually, hats off to him for making what is probably a perfectly serviceable UI from very inexpensive parts (once you get used to it) but I just can't imagine using these now. It's just too kludgey. It would be hard to have any confidence in it when you have to make fast decisions and actions.

• @DouglasHorn

If you ask me - such thing must not have any interface at all, except one on/off switch. All else must use Bluetooth and phone app.

• Good point about UI, but does anyone know of similar product available that does the same thing (very small recorder, with simultaneously recording backup track at lower db level)?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I agree. That would be much better. It would also allow simultaneous start of all units.

• What if it had the ability to record three simultaneous tracks and different dB levels? That'd reduce the need for adjusting levels, and wouldn't require a complex interface. Wouldn't need a Wifi circuit eating up the power, either. All I'd need after that is an indicator of how much power is left. (I'd probably just switch the things on, do a hand-clap clapper board for syncing, and let'em run all day with 32 gig cards.)

• "Juicedlink offers significant discount if you're buying 2 or more, and the discount increases with quantity. Details on their site"

Sadly the discount is only applicable to the more expensive DAR124RX01.

Unfortunately there is no discount available at all for the standard DAR123 model :-(

• Maybe email Robert at JuicedLink - maybe he'll cut you a deal

• The Tascam DR-10C looks really good, but it's not sold in the US, apparently due to a patent infringement claim from Zaxworks.

• Robert at JuicedLink added some great features to the deluxe version, which is still inexpensive. It can be wirelessly started and stopped. It also has an audio slate tone that can generate a tone for syncing audio in the recorder with the audio in your camera. Check the above video for details.

• Finally some review of this weird thing

Sadly I see this thing:

Some argue that 24-bit recording is necessary, but Robert Rozak from JuicedLink argues that it's overkill. I personally don't mind recording at 16-bit for the pure efficiency it allows, both in terms of battery life and write times. Robert Rozak lays out this reasoning in the manual:

"Acknowledging that marketing of audio recorders has pushed higher sample rates on consumers, we base this specification on the Meyer/Moran paper published by the Audio Engineering Society that demonstrates that humans can not perceive the difference between CD quality (16b/44.1KHz) and higher bit rates (such as what is used with SACD or DVD-A). As an example, even the highest quality lav microphone (which may, at best, provide 70dB SNR for a lav with an unrealistically high 1Pa signal input) can not come close to utilizing the 144dB of dynamic range from even an ideal 24bit A/D, and is serviced with plenty of margin by 16bits."

It is true, but it is words juggling as not applicable to recording. Very strange to see this from Robert. As clearly source of restriction is LSI he uses for recording.

http://nofilmschool.com/2016/02/review-juicedlink-little-darling-distributed-audio-recorder

In other words - go and get small Tascam.

img2587.jpg
    696 x 454 - 40K
  • Is there cheaper option to Tram and Sanken ? I like the remote which can operate upto 4 devices. This way I can wire four people and start stop the audio while operating the camera. The Tascam does not have this feature.

• This way I can wire four people and start stop the audio while operating the camera. The Tascam does not have this feature.

Any reason for all this start-stopping? It is big point of failure as you need two way connection to get clear response that all recorders started.

• Seriously, I have had such good results with the Rode Smartlav+ and a mobile phone, in my case an iPhone 5, that I can't see the advantage of this. The RodeRec app that Rode make, allows recording at -10dB on a second track so that you don't have to nail the audio level, and have two tracks with differing levels. It's really good if you need radio mics but you're on a budget. I can't see the significant advantage of this little Darlink thing at all.

• I can't see the significant advantage of this little Darlink thing at all.

For DIY little thing it can be ok, but no for any serious situation.

Especially I mean here non locking flimsy 3.5mm connector on phone.

Problem with this recorder is Zaxcom patents that do not allow to make it really top notch. I'll try to make post on it.

• OK, I don't consider that significant though, as it works, and it works well. Non locking connector is in reality a non-issue.

The audio quality is also excellent in terms of the mic itself, the SNR of an iPhone and certainly the interface, which frankly trounces this Little Darlink thing. You'd have to try it to see...and it's very cheap to do so.

• @LucasAdamson

OK, I don't consider that significant though, as it works, and it works well. Non locking connector is in reality a non-issue.

It is not issue until you have no audio or dropouts (no one can repair this!) on important shot.
    And I saw this too much times.

It is also for a reason why Zaxcom insisted for both Robert and Tascam to sell only TRS 3.5mm locking versions in US to make sales less due to less compatible lavs.