Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Video-Friendly Lenses for Lumix DSLRs
  • 211 Replies sorted by
  • $28K ... Yikes! Say RRRR, how is the focus throw of those FD lenses? Does adding a focusing gears for a follow focus increase the throw at all?
  • @Raoul cheers for that!

They're beyond my personal reach also, but then again, lenses like these should be used so it makes for a very good "community package".. Or for your business if you can manage the cost. A far better investment than a similarly priced camera!
    I mean, if you don't live next to a rental shop and know them personally / can pick up high quality lenses for next to nothing.

For my own personal use, I have a bunch of FD, MD, Konica glass and some c-mounts.
  • @qwerty123 I'm not sure it was luma tech (I recall the housings looking differently), but the optical blocks must have been the same (same t rate e.t.c). So I guess in terms of optical performance they are identical.
    If I remember correctly a set started from about 28 000 USD or thereabouts.
  • Where exactly is Luma Tech advertising on ebay? I can't find it. Curious about the pricing...
  • There is a discussion on reduser.net on the luma tech illumina lenses vs. Cooke Panchros. A lot of talk talk talk over there but Paul Nordin, who started the thread actually tested them.

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?59647-Luma-Tech-Illuminas-vs.-the-new-Cooke-Panchros...a-review

These lenses are beyond my reach, I just bought some Canon FD primes, but for anyone interrested in cine primes they may be a good choice. They seem to have been co-developed by Lomo St Petersburg who should have the necessary background and experience.
  • Anyone managed to try out the ekran-style rebuilt Lomo cine lenses that some US company are advertising on ebay? This looks to be made out of the same optical elements: http://www.lumatechinc.com/S35.html
    (not sure it's the same company that I saw on ebay)

A whole (new) range of t1.3 lenses costs 10-20% of a set of (new) similarly specced zeiss or leica cine primes.
    Looks like a superb deal to me, although I have no possibility to try them out / order.
  • Sorry @LPowell for the barrage! Just so many names for the same lens! :-D
    (EDIT: was meant to write: Bower, Rokinon, Vivitar - not Tamron - my bad)
  • @alcomposer
    Samyang is a Korean lensmaker that markets its products under the Rokinon brand name. Tamron, Tokina, and Sigma are independent third-party lensmakers, well known for many decades.
  • @LPowell no difference between Samyang/Rokinon/Tamron etc...
  • @alcomposer
    Rokinon 35mm f1.4 - moderate breathing
    Rokinon 85mm f1.4 - very little breathing
  • @LPowell
    I did see on this thread that Samyang/Rokinon have quite a lot of breathing though... :-(
    Let me know if you haven't found this. (If not- Ebay time!)
  • @alcomposer
    Depends on how well they work for you. Most manual-focus primes are relatively short and compact, with 52-55mm front filter threads. Using them with a follow focus and matte box on 15mm rails can be a tight fit. For my purposes, the Samyang/Rokinon f1.4 primes are a more convenient size.
  • @LPowell... so I shouldn't throw my wide nikon primes out just yet?
  • @LPowell So in that case some legacy Nikon AI(s) and Canon FDs would be fine with respect to extension since they extend less than an inch when focusing.

I think two more ideal things in a lens would be: (1) LONG FOCUS THROW and, less importantly, (2) as @Gabel mentions, having the aperature in T-stops.
  • @qwerty123
    A lens whose front barrel extends when either focusing or zooming can be awkward to use with a traditional, rail-mounted matte box. While a small amount of extension can be covered by a donut, an inch or more extension will collide with the back of the matte box.
  • @qwerty123: Leica R's would be a top contender. Great quality and no breathing! I didn't think I'd mind so much, but breathing has really become a deal breaker for me.

But personally, at that cost I'd just get some Lomos instead.
  • I'm curious what some good video-friendly lenses for the GH2 (or other lumix cams) would be ideal for a Duclos Cine-Mod.... interesting option.

Also @LPowell : can you be a bit more specific about the problem with a lens that has a focus ring that extends in relation to a mattebox? I'm a little new to learning about matteboxes.
  • So, let's compare these to a set of cine primes... I use Lomo OCT-19 primes. Believe it or not, not even real cine primes perform 100% on this!

* Manual aperture ring: Yes and without click stops.
    * Direct-coupled focus ring: Of course. With distance marks that are correct.
    * Proper focus ring rotation: Counter-clockwise.
    * Non-rotating outer barrel (internal focus): Yes. The barrel does rotate when adjusting the aperature though (like on Zeiss Superspeeds).
    * Non-extending outer barrel (internal focus): No, same with Zeiss Superspeeds. The extension is very minor though.
    * Constant field of view: Yes.

As you see, while these are VERY video-friendly, even they lack some features. What you do gain however is:
    * Much better tightness between lens and adapter. Nothing loose here!
    * Large focus throw, for more precise focusing.
    * All marks are located on the side of the lens, allowing your AC (or you) to see them.
    * Correct distance marks.
    * Circular aperature. Bokeh won't be much different when stopping down.
    * Aperature in T-stops.
  • I just got a helios 44-2 (58mm f2), and I love it so far. I heard that on these lenses oil on the aperture blades also isn't an issue, as many soviet lenses came from the factory that way. Anyways:
    Manual aperture ring: yes (very cool 2 ring system, allows you to open the lens and have a completely step less aperture if you wish)
    direct couple focus ring: yes
    proper focus ring rotation: counter-clockwise to infinity
    non-rotating outer barrel: yes
    non-extending outer barrel: no, extends about 1cm, maybe a little under (just from eyeballing it)
    constant field of view: no, appears to zoom out slightly when focussed towards infinity, thought I haven't tested this thoroughly
  • Minolta MD VFC 24mm 1:2.8 extends only by 3mm and has excellent optical quality. But it ain't cheap any more these days.
  • Anyone have notes on fast wide angle lenses with non-extending front elements?
    (<50mm)
  • Hi @LPowell,
    (I've seen video of this lens on a Phantom! This one is 'totally' on my to get list. Just the way it is! (Nikon G -> m43...)
  • I hope the Kipon will work for you. If not, try Novoflex (German) or MTF (British). Much more expensive – and much more precise.
  • I have trouble with EF-M43 adapters from eBay.
    I bought 3. Every zoom lens I attached after focusing and then I change zoom became out of focus.
    I tried Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-35.
    A metering ring also shows wrong value of distance. On Canon 5DmkII the lenses work precisely
    Now I'm waiting for another (4th) finally not cheap adapter - Kipon EF-M43 with aperture.
    I hope this one will be the right.
    I have thinking get rid Tokina, it was useless for me.
    I glad to read here that folks use zoom lens without problems.
    May be with Kipon adapter I will lucky.
  • @LPowell : this is a great thread, and needed.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev any word from Cinematics on their generic CP_2 models, pricing, availability? :-)