Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Video-Friendly Lenses for Lumix DSLRs
  • 211 Replies sorted by
  • @spike08 Tokina 24-40 2.8, at fully open aperture is very, very soft. It must be stopped down to 5.6 to obtain satisfactory results.

• Nikkor AF 28-105 f3.5-4.5

• Manual aperture ring: Yes
    • Direct-coupled focus ring: No
    • Proper focus ring rotation: Nikon direction only
    • Non-rotating outer barrel: No
    • Non-extending outer barrel: No
    • Constant field of view: ??
    • Constant f-stop aperture: No
    • Rotational zoom ring: Yes

Just got this lens last night for a longer range without the oustanding price. Paid $150 and put a NIKON to EOS adapter so I can switch between my 7D and GH2 with adapter. I kept it at 4.5 and still give me enough shallow dof. There is a Macro mode between 50-105mm range, I was able to get detailed focus within 6-7" distance. This will be a good daytime lens with a vari-ND.

• @HillTop1 I have the 24, 28 and 55 Nikkor's and love them all. IMO they are must have.

• Canon FD 50mm f/1.4

• Manual aperture ring: ?
    • Direct-coupled focus ring: ?
    • Proper focus ring rotation: ?
    • Non-rotating outer barrel: ?
    • Non-extending outer barrel: ?
    • Constant field of view: ?

Can someone help me with this one, been looking around but can't find an answer.

• Sigma 20mm f1.8

Sigma 24mm f1.8

Sigma 28mm f1.8

Sigma 30mm f1.4 HSM etc.... listed on the first page

what kind of mount do you suggest i get for the sigma's???? the canon or nikon or doesnt matter?

• @arson519 I've used the Sigma 20mm, 24mm, and 28mm in Nikon mount, and the Sigma 30mm in Four Thirds mount. The first three lenses are not available in the Four Thirds mount, but they come with a manual aperture ring on the Nikon mount, which is what I recommend. The Nikon version of the Sigma 30mm lacks a manual aperture ring, but it is available in an auto-focus Four Thirds version.

• @LPowell what about Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 ??? (If it works as a manual focus lens on GH2 or GH1, it would be a great wide-angle rectilinear solution for m43)

• @kronstadt Purpose of this topic was to discuss video-friendly lenses. In other words attributes that make lenses a great choice for video, and not for stills. @LPowell has stated some fairly key criteria for video-friendly lenses, things like non-rotating/extending barrel on focus, direct couples focus, aperture ring, constant aperture, etc....

Sigma 8-16 couldn't be any further away from being 'video-friendly' if you tried. However, it'll work, of course...it's just not friendly.

• @LPowell i just bought sigma 19mm and 30mm 4/3 mount yesterday :)

the two are being sold together for 199 on Bnhphoto dont know how long deal will last also im looking at picking up the tokina 28-70

• @arson519 - Pretty sure you picked up the Micro 4/3 19mm & 30mm rather than 4/3.

• Which perform better, Tokina AT-X 28-70mm f2.8 Pro I or Pro II?

• Could you please help me? I like the old mechanical lenses, the metallic bodies and the smooth focus ring. I would like a zoom lens for handheld use with a follow focus. I like very much my minolta 35-70mm, but the body extends at different mm. So no use for FF. I also like my Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm, but it is an one touch focus and zoom, so not ideal. I have the Lumix 14-45mm but the focus ring is a disaster. I have some Canon FD primes, but I can't change lenses all the time in the middle of an event. I have also tried the Olympus 12-60mm f/2.8-4, it seems the ideal lens for the job, but too expensive (it belongs to my brother). So my question, is there a lens with usuable length, constant aperture, for use with follow focus, old and used enough so to be cheap (don't care about autofocus)? I usually cover social events like, weddings & narrative stuff.

• @sakattaq76 Check out the lenses listed in the second post of this thread.

• Konica Hexanon AR 35-100mm f2.8

Manual aperture ring: Yes

Direct-coupled focus ring: Yes

Proper focus ring rotation: Yes

Non-rotating outer barrel: Yes

Non-extending outer barrel: Yes

Constant field of view: ?

(also) Parafocal: No

I have the Konica AR 40mm f1.8 which I love, so I am wondering about this zoom. Does anyone have one? The only unknown (often not paid heed to with these photo lenses) is if it breathes when focusing or not. It is not parafocal, but I would just use a zoom as a "multi-prime" anyway. Thinking it might play nice with my Kowa anamorphic as it is an old lens with simpler optics (none of that aspherical mumbo-jumbo or nano-coating wizardry).

• Thanks LPowell for the list. Very informative.

Can anyone comment on zoom/focus rings of Tamron 17-50/2.8 and Tokina 28-70/2.6-2.8 ? I want to know if they produce any noticeable noise during rotation of the ring. As well as how smooth rings are?

Looking for a video-friendly parfocal zoom which is reasonable quite, so that the mounted on camera shotgun does not pick it up while recording.

p/s/ i have a bad experience with Nikkor 24-85/2.8-4.0 which happened to be extremely loud while rotating the zoom ring.

• I have a question about Sigma 30mm f/1.4 D EX DC HSM:

I know this lens works great with Kipon EOS to m4/3 adapter, but if the lens is with Nikon mount, then how to get manual focus and manual aperture with GH2?

Anyone using Sigma 30mm f1.4 for Nikon with GH2?

• Has anyone tried the Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F2.8-4 Di LD IF? I know it's not constant aperture, but it covers a nice range for the GH2 and seems to have OK reviews.

• @dreinz: I’m surprised nobody ever answered that here (unless I overlooked it) and I hope I’m not too late if you wanted to make a buying decision:

Canon FD 50mm f/1.4

• Manual aperture ring: Yes
    • Direct-coupled focus ring: Yes
    • Proper focus ring rotation: No
    • Non-rotating outer barrel: Yes
    • Non-extending outer barrel: No
    • Constant field of view: Yes
  • I've got a question about use of manual lenses in general. Why do my Canon FD lenses colour shift when I start recording on GH3? Its not even just colour shift but it seems to make a gamma shift as well. The Panasonic lenses don't do this. It can sometimes make people's faces really orange in low-light even when the WB is set quite low

• Thought I would see a bit more said here on the Canon FD 35-105mm f3.5 constant aperture.

I can think of another zoom suitable for the M43 at a longer length even quite similar to this?

I'll be using it for videoing conferences so need something a bit long that is flexible (where I cannot dictate where the tripod will go), so trying to avoid having 3 primes instead. Don't think it has to go as high as 105mm.

A bit concerned about how f3.5 will be indoors in conference hall but hoping it will be sufficient.

May use for casual photography too.

Any views on this lens and on alternatives?

• It's a nice zoom that has constant aperture and two-touch zoom, so you can adapt the framing slowly and elegantly. Can still be found cheap, so why not go for it?

• @Qadri I use this lens a lot with both my GH2 and my BMPCC, especially with my Speed Booster. With some careful calibration, the 35-105 is parforcal (it takes about 30 minutes to an hour to calibrate it properly if it's not set right). With the regular speed booster it has the light transmission qualities of an f2.5 lens and an FOV range of 24mm equivalent to 75mm equivalent. Pretty awesome for interviews.

• @JuMO How is the calibration process that you describe for the Canon FD 35-105mm?, greetings.

• @JuMo also interested in reading how to calibrate the FD 35-105mm for parfocal please.

• Thanks Jumo, and what's the "speed booster"? (sorry for my ignorance).

Yes, I'll be using it on my G6 for interviews/podcasts at the short end and conferences at the long end so great to hear that. I'll be Indoors most of the time with not so great lighting.

The Panasonic zooms are quite slow at the long end so going for this as no alternative.

Costing me about $100 in excellent condition (no caps and will have to get them myself. No case or hood either). Can't seem to find it cheaper.