Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony RX10, 1" sensor, big F2.8 constant zoom, video oriented machine
  • 221 Replies sorted by
  • @interlaced, yeah I saw that and it is on order, but I mean external battery solution. As this coupler is not separate, as it is with the GH2 one, no easy way to get a big battery connected up for AC free time lapse.. or is there?

• I have AC-PW20 power adapter. Tested it today. I was keeping camera powered for 5 hours and noticed that there is small fan inside RX-10. Very quiet.

• It doesn't appear as though the RX10 will run off USB power, even when supplied with 1-2 amps, unlike the RX100. As soon as any power is supplied to the USB port the camera cannot be used. Anyone have tips on external battery options?

• @dustylense nice shed, lovely colours... Looks like must have been a great get together =)
    @jonpais both videos above are Christopher's aka dustylense, @MikeLinn is our official content digger. You know, all doctors need fresh bodies :P. Cheers Mike

• @MikeLinn Thanks for the very good, comprehensive test for outdoor conditions. Your explanations of what you were looking for in each shot were also very clear and helpful.

• If the the RX10 does nothing but work well under outdoor conditions it would make it a game changing camera for our use. Like lots of firms we do a good deal of work under outdoor, fast paced conditions. Other projects are on set or on location, with a lot more control. If the RX10 can handle most of the first criteria it's amazing for it's price and form factor. That's not to say that it might not prove to be a wonderful camera under controlled circumstances as well, but under those conditions, I don't know anything that can deliver a better image than the BM camera.

Two cameras that can shoot at this level for less than $5k complete is just an amazing development. Absolutely incredible options, both of which weren't even on the radar a year or so ago.

• @dustylense

Dont listen to him. The guy seems to have a major issue with the RX10 for some reason. Perhaps he should show footage to demonstrate how horrible it is in comparison to cameras in the similar pricerange. The lowlight footage I have seen looks great.

Spinning heads? well.... Either its the usual Panny GH fanboys (and the ever so slightly annoying growing BM fanboys) who feel compelled to rip a hole into every new camera that comes along or the anti Sony crowd.

As it stands it looks a great camera that delivers nice images...and looks even greater with an external recorder.

• ^I too have the RX10 and if you look at the Thanksgiving film I shot above take note that it's all shot at 640-1250iso outside and 1600Iso inside. The inside shots are being illuminated by the following light sources. Skylight from outside, florescent, LED under the cabinets, a halogen in socket and a CF in the other. Can't get more mixed than that and at 1600ISO. Oh and by the way... I recorded the ENTIRE piece on AWB and in continuos focus. Just saying... I Philip. It me from DVXuser.

Why is this camera spinning peoples heads so much?

• ^ I have an RX10 and it is horrible in low mixed light, soft and poor WB.

• Looks great in good light. Lets see in mixed low light situation...

• vs GH3 one

• @toxotis70 You can turn off electronic stabilization and leave on optical stabilization at no decrease in IQ.

From tests I ran. You pick up about one and half stops DR, maybe two, with Deep or Portrait settings at -3 contrast.

• @Mimirsan we are all to a certain level pixel peeper, if not we would not have been on this site. It is good that Voldermore saw the limit of the RX10. A camera that he has been hipping so much himself. For me I have stop believing in any of the Sony dslr camera. Every new model is crippled in one way or the other to protect their high-end camera line. It is so obvious that I can't even understand people who get excited by any Sony dslr camera for video use.