Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Ruige monitors
  • S500 long sunhood .jpg
    800 x 536 - 36K
    S500HD(1).jpg
    800 x 646 - 69K
    S500HD.jpg
    800 x 646 - 101K
    S500HD package 2.jpg
    800 x 535 - 72K
    TL-S480HDA(1).jpg
    800 x 623 - 64K
    TL-S701HD.jpg
    800 x 601 - 87K
  • 75 Replies sorted by
  • @maddog15

Unfortunately, today Ruige monitors are uncompetitive with modern 1280x800 models. But they are quite small and have good quality.

• Late in posting here but I just got my S500HD. Great customer service I'll give them that. Really enjoying this monitor. No It's not the end-all be-all of monitors but that said, for $200.00 I'm extremely happy with it. Good brightness, contrast and user color adjusting. Great for pulling focus and framing shots. Great proprietary sun hood. Works flawlessly with my GH2. Overall I'm thrilled with this little guy.

• @KevinTraywick
    If you explicity listed battery plate and they didn't send it this such plate contact me.
    Otherwise, it comes without battery plates. As it is tailored to be used with multiple voltages battery installed on your shoulder (look at Power solutions category)
  • Recevied my Ruige 480 which came with a car 12V power adapter. Why do they include that? While it was kind of fun to shoot from inside the car with my rig for awhile, I need to get a battery plate and batteries. Is there any reason not to get a plate for Panasonic batteries? I know zip about batteries. Are the Panny batteries interchangeable with the Sony batteries that Vitality suggested in an earlier comment? Does anyone know if there;s a battery plate that would let me use the batteries that came with the 312A LED light panel?

Thanks for any help, Kevin
    (@VK- they didn't list a plate and it now makes sense to me that they wouldn't include one. Including the car charge was an extra, although I'm not sure how I would use it except for a car shoot which is common enough for a lot of people I guess. I'll follow up in the Power Solutions topic. Thanks, Kevin)
  • @Vitaliy

Well they will start caring about you if you order like 1000 pieces from them every month : )
    These guys on Alibaba website are not there to sell 10 or 50 pieces. i have been to their factories in Shenzhen and other parts of China. it's all about business
  • :-( Darn! Maybe you should ask them if you could fix it (with SDK). Possibly a Chinese company would be more interested in selling units than controlling firmware? Im sure many guys would love to have at least a functional menu! ;-P
  • @alcomposer

As I understand they have all guys working on new monitor models.
    They really do not care much about existing customers.
  • @VK any new developments on the Ruige Firmware front? How did the discussion with Ruige go? I have the 7 inch and have noticed a USB plug at the bottom- so its at least 'intended' for some firmware update in the future, (as opposed to internal USB port etc). And apart from the firmware its AMAZING! Love the zoom button. And it really is FAST to zoom in and out, unlike many other 'high end' brand names...
  • I did some more tests/comparison (with smallhd dp4 and sony v55).

Sony V55
    + battery life ~ 3:30 hour (with original sony 500 battery)
    + screen stays cool after hours of use
    - colours are not accurate
    + nice looking slim monitor
    + biggest screen ~ 13,4cm
    + easy to use sun shade
    + easy menu

SmallHD
    - battery life ~ 1:20 hour (with 1 original canon battery)
    - screen becomes quite warm
    - colours are not accurate, about as bad as V55
    - at an angle the colours are just bad
    -- the screen shows some lines, like it is interlaced, very strange
    + nice aluminium slim monitor
    + bright screen
    - big menu's
    - small screen, it's just 11,8cm
    - sun shade is a pain in the ass....

Ruige S480
    -/+ battery life is ~ 1:45 hour (with original sony 500 battery)
    ++ colours are the most accurate
    + the screen is just 4mm smaller then the V55
    + a nice mat screen
    -/+ sun shade is a bit small
    - it's the largest

I sold the V55 and sent the dp4 back for refund.
    For now the S480 is the best monitor for me (I like accurate colours)
    If colour is not that important I can highly recommend the Sony V55
    I can really not recommend the dp4 in any way.
  • I believe its only the smaller one that has a significantly better panel (brightness etc), so would go for the 7" one every time. Just to get the scale and the increased resolution.

The delivery problems were just down to DHL being a bit of a pain. I got the customs charge call on Friday last week, which i paid, expecting delivery Monday. I then noticed it didn't look like it was going to arrive Monday so called. The payment ID hadn't passed through their system properly, but did now. I requested delivery Wednesday when there'd be someone in to receive it. Only for them to try and fail to deliver on Tuesday. Another call, bit frustrated and then thankfully i managed to get it delivered Wednesday, even though the depot was closed. DHL were helpful, their systems were a bit broke. I don't think there's anything you can do, i was probably just a bit unlucky.
  • James, I use Canon mark II cameras. It's between your one and their 5'' model for me.
    I will also be ordering from the UK, anything i should lookout for when ordering as you mentioned a bit of a headache with delivery.
  • @km1

Glad someone found something helpful from my crappy little video. Know plans to really do a bigger review of it just yet, but i'll gladly answer any questions if i can. It's going to be a few weeks till i get to use it properly on the next "job".

Regarding your question of the focus in, sadly this is only fixed in the very centre of the display. I posted a review of an older similar model somewhere on here, which ironically DID have the ability to move the zoomed in segment into 9 equal quadrants. Having said that the resolution of the 7" model is fairly high so the centre crop does include a larger amount of the full 1080p frame. I'm sort of hopeful (but realistic) that the hack may be able to reenable the GH2's crop mode when not recording, as then we'd get all the flexibility back.

I do sort of wish that you could get the focus peaking effect without being zoomed in as well, i think it'd be nice and helpful with the full framing, as well as with the zoomed in mode. With such a large screen an a bit more resolution than the EVF it becomes a lot more easier to read where in the scene you have focus, making these aids less essential.

I do wonder how to use these HDMI clamps, do i screw them in after plugging in the cable, can I leave them screwed in and still be able to take the HDMI lead out with some special technique?

So far though, very happy!
  • @AmandaNL

For S480 you need remote trigger to use zooming and focus assist :-)
  • Finally (after one month) I got my S480 last Monday
    I thought there was peaking mode but there isn't, ore I cant find it.....
    The build quality is ok

Compared it with the Sony V55 and these are my findings:
    - Colours are more accurate then the Sony V55.
    - S480 has a nice mate screen whereas the V55 is glossy
    - S480 screen is about 3 mm smaller
    - V55 is a bit smaller/slimmer and some 90 grams lighter
    - V55 has a peaking mode but I find it useless, S480 has an zoom mode with oversharpening
    - Brightness is the same

Because I like the colours more of the S480 I'm selling my V55
    P1020109.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 2M
    P1020110.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 1M
  • Thanks James for the review. When you focus in on the centre can this be moved if a subject eyes were on the left of frame for example.
    If you are planning an even more in-depth video I for one will be watching.
    Cheers
  • I couldn't find another topic discussing these monitors so thought perhaps this may be the best place to put this. I didn't end up getting one of these monitors on the deal, it ended before i could get it going. But i did order one of the 7" models and it arrived today after a lot of courier faff, in the UK, nothing to do with the seller.

I've put a quick little video together showing it working to show some friends but thought some folks on here may be interested to see it

Not quite sure how to work the HDMI clamps yet, perhaps we should startup a new thread just on the Ruige monitors nothing to do with this now defunct special deal?
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev: Ruige have kindly offered to create a cable solution for me for about $17. I'm perfectly alright with that solution.
  • Just ordered the S480HD. Having it shipped to South Korea though, that's where I'm working right now. Hope that doesn't cause a problem. Will post after I've banged it around a bit. I have a block battery I bought off Ebay for my Liiliput, hope to use it instead of the DV battery pack.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev: Or you could post the picture of the back of the 701HDA with the other pictures. As a new buyer, I would appreciate this. Please keep me updated on the answer you get from Ruige. Thanks!
  • >Perhaps you could change the description text,

I do not plan to change anything.
    But i'll talk with Ruige guys about this connector issue.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev: 'I can write something harsh here, but won't.

Yes I remember would have done. ;-) Also, I'm very proud of you for not saying something harsh, I'm just surprised to hear something different than when I first asked. You sounded very confident in your reply, which made stop my investigation. It doesn't matter, I'll find a nice solution which I will share here. I appreciate very much what you're arranging for us as a community, with no personal benefit.

Perhaps you could change the description text, which still says: 'All monitors have added remote zoom switch and hdmi locks, do not have AC adapters (as most users never use them and you can use any 8-12V adapter).' (if the offer hasn't expired)
  • >Do you remember telling me it was a normal 12 v input, and that I didn't need to bother with a battery plate? :-)

I can write something harsh here, but won't.
    Just understand, I am not Ruige salesman, end even not affilated with them.
    I saw backs of monitors, saw normal power connector.
    As it happens, 701HDA uses other connector.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev: I've dropped them an e-mail... Do you remember telling me it was a normal 12 v input, and that I didn't need to bother with a battery plate? :-)
  • @Retina

I suggest to ask Ruige.
    As for monitor, it can be much more easy to get Sony battery plate.
  • Hmmm just checked with a more technical friend, apparently I'll need to create a DIN plug myself, yuck! @Vitaliy_Kiselev: I thought it would have a standard 12v connection in the back like the other monitors? Is there an easy way to power it from my external battery?