Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Ruige monitors
  • 75 Replies sorted by
  • Several battery options here, any recommendations? Is it best to stick with the Panny? There's the DV and Long versioin.
  • These look interesting. Hard to find any reviews on them, i guess they're the new models. In my googling i came across this thorough video review of the older non-slim model on a GH2, incase its useful for anyone

This shows the zooming used to let you select between quadrants to zoom into on the rotating dial.

The 7" does look nicer with the higher resolution and size. But its brightness is a lot lower than the smaller models. Will this make it less useful in bright daylight vs the brighter models. It'd be really nice to see video or stills of all 3 models turned on next to each other at full brightness to see the difference.

What type of panels do these use, will they have a wide or narrow viewing angle?

Great work again Vitaliy!!!
  • >What type of panels do these use, will they have a wide or narrow viewing angle?

I think all are TN.
    Otherwise look at the table.
    It has brightness, contrast and angles.
    As you see S480 has the best panel.
  • I have the 5'' RUIGE TL-S500HD monitor, and it does the basic job well. Works with Lenmar replacement batteries for the Sony NP-F750 and others. I recommend getting a right-angle mini HDMI cable for the GH2 like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-right-angle-90-mini-Hdmi-minihdmi-cable-adapter-/320750451948?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aae377cec

I didn't expect any sophisticated features from the Ruige and I was happy to see it sync to the GH2 HDMI signal automatically. The GH2 LCD and EVF continue to work at the same time. You can switch it to black&white and overlay safety frames of varying sizes with front panel buttons.

The "peaking" function is just a sharpening filter, and the regular image has enough sharpening already to show you when you hit critical focus. With the remote switch, you can magnify the center of the display, and then activate the peaking mode, which makes everything look super-sharp and ringy. No 1:1 pixel feature in this model.

I mostly wanted a bigger display that other people could watch over my shoulder during filming. The Ruige is slim and lightweight and the removable fold-out hood works great. For $300, it was a good deal.

P1040600.JPG
    3136 x 2352 - 2M
  • @LPowell
    Any remorse over not getting the zoom feature? Or does the peaking feature get it done for focus accuracy? On my 14-54 oly at 14mm it's hard to judge focus, so that 1:1 feature is appealing.
  • @brianluce
    The Ruige does have a simple center-of-frame magnify function, but I prefer to use the focus assist on the camera anyway. I don't really want to fuss with monitor controls or rely on any extra features, I just want to see a larger, independently mounted display of the LCD info. And I find the over-sharpened images on the Ruige do make it easier to hit the right focus.
  • @brianluce This is the problem I see, when you are doing an interview type of shot, where you have one main character and a background at a certain distance then the focusing is easy even with a 5 inch screen. But when you are shooting subject with less separation and or busy background it becomes much more difficult if you don't have some good resolution, bigger screen or focus aid like peaking. I am asking myself if in the end the Ikan vl5 is not a better purchase, the price is about the same and it has a better feature set. It will be it or the 7 inch model.
  • >Ikan vl5 is not a better purchase, the price is about the same

It is not the same as S500HD price (you compare to normal price on Ikan site) :-)
    My understanding is that you are referring B&H price.
    And feature set is worse, as good hood, HDMI lock and remote zoom trigger are very useful features.
  • @LPowell,
    Why did you opt for the 5" versus the 4.8"? The 4.8" seems to have the best panel spec wise.
  • @brianluce
    At the time I bought it, there was a better deal on eBay for the 5" Ruige, which included HDMI lock, battery plate, and remote switch.
  • Thanks for making a nice LCD-deal. In the video, Ruige also talket about a model with both HDMI and SDI. Is that on the market?
    A little OT, but I hope Ruige (or another manufacturer) can make an affordable EVF similar to e.g. SmallHD DP4. Being outdoors, I prefer EVF because of smaller size/wheigt/battery time, and easier reading in sunlight.
  • Hi!
    Is the TL-480HDA still offer? I need magicarm for this. Is it possible add to package?
    Thnx!
  • +1 for the ovf, they already have the mount (sun hood). Just design a loupe like on the smallhd dp4 and the thing would be perfect. A system like that on the 1024 x 600 spec 7 inch screen would be ideal I think.

No news from the engineers?
  • @danyyyel

I like your fantasies. :-)
    But real useful viewfinders will be made only with new 3.8-4.5" 1280x720 panels.
    Or you can use ones made by Sony.
  • Made an payment on 6 september, will inform when monitor arrives
  • Has anyone tried Lilliput monitors? I have one, a basic set 7 inch with HDMI in only. Not too bad, considering it uses an internal battery. Paid US$240 for it. I actually wrote to the sales person at Ruige prior to making my purchase. We corresponded for a while, but their offer was the same as what Vitaly is getting. Didn't find it very attractive although I think the Ruige just has a bit more features.
  • I own a Lilliput as well. I'd say the quality is comparable with the Ruige, definitely, but where the Ruige shines is, like you said, the features it offers. If I didn't have quite this much to spend on a Ruige, I would definitely consider a lower end Lilliput for a little over $100. For framing/focusing, I'd say the Lilliput will do anything you want it to, but it seems to me like the Ruige has a much more accurate color representation.
  • @kazuo @brandmrsh I've had two Lilliput monitors in the past, and they both died during regular indoor use. I may have been unlucky, but I sure hope the Ruige will live longer.
  • Shit, care to share your experience? Were you a heavy user?
  • @kazuo: I had a small monitor so I could play xbox in my bedroom. The first Lilliput died within a few months, so I had it replaced under warranty. They didn't sell the same model anymore, so I ordered a different one. This one broke outside warranty, the screen turned white when it got too hot. My father was able to fix it temporarily, but the same fault reappeared. It could be that I was just unlucky.
  • Which model was it do you know? But then again, when you used it for gaming, it was turned on for hours on end: 5-6 at one go?

Think such monitors are built for intermittent as opposed to prolonged usage. On set, we turn it on for as long as a scene lasts, then we turn it off before moving on to the next, to save on the battery, but also to make sure it doesn't overheat.

Quite sure if you use a $2000 Marshall for gaming, the same thing could happen :-)
  • Your assumption that I game for hours is correct, but not while lying in bed. :-) I think it was usually on for two hours, max. It wasn't sold as a DSLR monitor, as there was no such thing as DSLR video at that time. :-)
  • The problem you were (more than likely) having was with the Lilliput having problems with the soldering after heavy use. It just becomes too hot and connections start to come "un-done" so to speak, causing monitor issues. For $100, is it worth the risk? Probably. Especially for the cheap HD-to-cost ratio. but I agree that if you're going for higher end prices, this issue should not creep up whatsoever.

With that said, I've used my Lilliput for the past 6 months on day-long shoots, and never ran into any performance issues.
  • Now that I think of it... I also had it mounted on my hometrainer... It didn't really shake that much, but it could be (part of) the reason. :-D
  • Can anyone tell me the name of the type of power connection shown in the bottom left of this picture? (for the TL-s701HDA)
    ruige-tl-s701hda-on-camera-hd-lcd-monitor-for-dslr-canon-5d-7d_01.jpg
    500 x 500 - 177K