Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Recent work
  • 151 Replies sorted by
  • @matt_gh2 it's due to the fact of how many new tools we have now in days, creating music is so easy that kids these days don't have to try. So they don't have a passion for it.

• I love your available light work. Good stuff. It also shows how good the GH2 can look with little or no processing and the Driftwood patches.

• @deshonDixon

Wow your hand held looks incredible.

• Password: lol

• I really like your stuff man.

Are you approaching different groups in your local scene or are they coming to you now based on word of mouth?

• @BurnetRhoades They used to come to word of mouth but now I have go looking for work cause I live 2 hours outside of LA the people in my town are just horribly garbage artists. I don't much money at all I make probably like $500 every two months if im lucky

• @DeShonDixon Your doing some amazing shoots with the GH2. I want to ask you if your shooting at 720 60p for the slow motion shots and up scaling them to 1080 or are your slowing it down in Twixtor?

• @DeShonDixon Well, hopefully more folks will see what you're doing and you'll get a major artist's attention. I know it's a crap shoot but I'd be trying to get an agent or perhaps hooked up with a production company.

Whereabouts outside LA? I lived there for a long time, all over...Newhall, Valencia, K-Town, Venice, Sherman Oaks, Santa Monica, Playa Del Rey, Studio City, Marvista and Downtown. 2hrs puts can be less than 30miles away in the reality bubble of LA ;)

• @BurnetRhoades How do you go about getting an agent or hooked up with a production company? I'm 19 could I still get signed? And I live in Palmdale/Lancaster and don't have a car I have to take a train or bus everywhere

• Oh, damn, I wouldn't have ever guessed that. Putting aside your shooting, your editing is very mature and you have a finish that a lot of pseudo professionals lack. I mean, you must recognize it, how many folks are titling their little videos with whatever typeface comes up when they lay down the effect or open the title editor. How many times do you see people uploading videos with aliased text that has no sense of composition? Whether it's subconscious or because it just makes sense to you, you're actually putting effort into areas most wannabes write off as insignificant or they simply don't even recognize what's wrong with what they're doing.

I'm even more impressed, DeShon. I think it's safe to say if you're this good, on your own, this young, something is going to break for you if your work gets seen by the right people. That's the real trick. I wish I could offer more than the suggestion you cold call and query letter as many companies as you can. Just google up lists of agencies and production companies in LA or closer. Look at the work on their websites. Seems lame, I know, and be prepared for a lot of "no" or just no response at all.

Using your work to get into a good school is another option. At least for a little while. When I was your age my self-taught CGI got me into CalArts out in Valencia, moving from this little town in South Texas. Palmdale was the closest train station and I used to take that train down to San Diego to visit my mom on break.

Just keep at it man.

• That's some great advice from @BurnetRhoades I've been following your work @DeshonDixon for the past couple of years, I agree with most of the things people tell you, you have a natural instinct and maturity in the way you shoot/edit. If you were in Europe I could have helped you somehow. I've shown your work to co-workers who are seasoned pros and when I tell them how old you are -and your gear- they feel really dumb, which is why I like showing young talent work in the first place :-) Although I've lived in the US, the market is really different and much more competitive so I can't offer any safe advice, apart from the fact that a school would help you, in several ways, and if I were at a Uni I would give a scholarship to a hard working young man like yourself. I've also seen young artists such as Kendy, who shoot with -just-a T2i, collaborating with agents, check the links in his vimeo page, send those companies (and other similar ones) your reel like others have already suggested, and most importantly, don't give up. http://vimeo.com/kendyty

• Don't worry DeShon, you keep doing what you're doing and people will keep noticing. It's a grind, and people without passion get ground down to nothing and disappear, but with passion, ambition and attention to detail (all of which, you've clearly got), the grind actually builds you up: it buffs you until you shine. As always, good work!

• @DeshonDixon There are many paths one can take. I agree with all the advice given here.

Getting a scholarship to a good school is never a bad idea. Fill out the applications for the school and the financial aid. Don't go too heavily into debt to do it. UCLA has a great program and doesn't cost as much as the others. That would give you a firm foundation for working in LA. Film school is as much about what you learn as the people you learn it with and then they become your network afterwards.

Here's an interesting interview with Ryan Coogler who directed "Fruitville Station". He's been to film school and it shows in his knowledge of cinema (including "film school brats", he's telling it like it is). That experience gives him a firm foundation to work from:

While you're there, check out some of the other ReelBlack TV videos, there's often an interview question thrown in like "what's your advice for the next generation of filmmakers" and they're people you'd like to hear their story and their answers. A good channel & worth your time.

Also worth noting, as soon as you are paid, you are now beholden to someone else (unless you are the producer). Your creative vision will have to work within the limitations & expectations of someone paying the bills. When the project scope becomes more than you can do alone, it becomes a collaborative process, with it's own caveats. Sometimes people think if they had more of a budget, it would solve their problems, only to find out it will also create new ones!

After 20 years in the business, I realize when I work with new people, not to assume they know what I do. If they don't have a foundation I can find common ground with, it is hard to know if they really understand what I'm asking of them. Most of the time they think they do understand, until I realize they don't, and, then it's sometimes too late and something vital may get compromised. That's a disappointing lesson I learned while helping friends out. There are some boring things that make this visual language sing and they start with the 180 degree rule, rule of thirds and eye-lines. Things you get to practice in school and watch as others make mistakes too.

Taking a direct path, cold calling, showing up to introduce yourself at agencies, production companies, etc. can work too, but be prepared for lots of rejection; and, the ugly side of the business: people not crediting you when credit is due, etc) That will always be going on (film school or not), just learn from it and move on. The cream rises to the top and the bull shitters have to walk. Keep on doing what you're doing, set some long term goals, then start the real work on how you can get there.

• @3Kids @JuMo Thanks guys I really appreciate the support I was starting to feel like nobody looks at my work anymore

• @BurnetRhoades Thanks for all the info dude i'm going to keep trying to go the freelance route for now im really hope it works out cause I haven't had much lucky so far but its a new year hopefully it comes with new opportunities and thanks for noticing how picky I am about trying to use the most professional looking fonts!

• @CFreak Man I really wish I could've got into UCLA but I didn't get good grades in high school cause I was too busy working on videos and going to wrestling practice :/ Guess I just gotta make my mistakes in the real world and learn from them

• Wow! I am really amazed. The level you're at now being 19 is a blessing. Don't ever stop. How crappy an artist may seem, people DO NOTICE your craft. Maybe thinking outside of the rap-video-box will get you noticed by a different type of audience. Like competing in short film festivals or anything else that has your interest. Or just raise the bar a little: no money, no video (;

Greetings from The Netherlands (Europe).

• @tinyrobot My bad never saw your message but yeah I shoot a 720p 60fps with my GH2 and always scale my footage up to 1080p I've never used twixtor before because my laptop is too slow and can't handle it

• @DeShonDixon Yeah, I guess it makes sense your shooting in 720p. I thought just maybe you had a special recipe for slowing things down in 1080p. Keep up the good work!

• @tinyrobot I kinda do have a recipe to it. I always shoot with really high shutter speeds and setting my footage to .400 in sony vegas to give me really nice slow mo

• Deshon, your recipe works. Ive always been impressed with your work.

• @ARTnVIDEO Thanks I really appreciate the support

• @DeShonDixon There are also other schools besides UCLA and some cities have small nonprofit places teaching media production, which can be quite a good value to broaden your skill set and meet others to collaborate with.