Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon 70D topic, camera with unusual LV AF and sensor
  • 104 Replies sorted by
  • The above test uses touch-screen focus to focus pull. This test uses the flexi-zone single AF servo focus, in very low light (ISO1600), and reproduces the Laing 70D test of going from a close-up of a cup to a far scene and back in the same focus mode (except that in his setting the light was much greater: ISO 400). And this is the EOS M. The lens is also an STM lens (EF M 18-55mm). His shot is prettier.

Again, how much better would the new focusing system be for this type of shot?

• The Laing review is very useful, but there is a gaping missed opportunity - actually comparing the 70D focusing to, say, the 7D or any current Rebel in the same scene using the same lens. The focus pulls in the video are great, but how much better are they than the Canon current focusing systems? That is the point. Change the camera, keep the lens, same scene and then compare. Some of the focusing prowess comes from the STM lens too.

Here is a set of focus pulls in dim light using the falsely-maligned EOS M, which actually has the current (pre-70D) Canon focusing system, with an STM lens. You also see solid and precise shifts of focus with no hunting. How much better would the new dual system be?

• Couple the Dual Pixel AF system with the touch-screen and it's easy to see the potential of the EOS 70D - just tap almost anywhere on the screen and the camera will quickly and confidently refocus without any hunting. Unlike many AF systems which only work with certain lenses, Canon also claims its Dual Pixel CMOS AF system will work with no fewer than 103 lenses in the EF catalogue, and that it's also 30% faster than the Hybrid AF system on models like the EOS SL1 / 100D. It is in short, the Holy Grail of AF for movies and Live View

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_70D/

• They can add all the bells and whistles they want, but the image still looks incredibly soft to me.

• Vitaliy, I might have agreed with you a year ago, but I don't think so anymore. Now, knowing what the cameras are potentially capable of (and knowing that Canon developers know that we know), I fully believe they are purposefully crippling the video mode so as not to compete with their cine line. Though I believe that the apparently worse video in 70D is not intentionally worse than say the 60D, it looks like a side effect of the new approach. So I agree that is likely a result of the 'not so good developers' as you put it - but as for the overall Canon strategy in regards to HD video quality... well, I leave that decision up to you all, but I know where I stand. Whether or not it's true, the public's perception on this matter remains equally important.

• Look at the comment of Johnnie Behiri in the article http://www.cinema5d.com/?p=20218

At present time there is not much to rave about the video quality coming out of that sample 70D camera. Images are extremely soft, a bit noisy and moire and aliasing are everywhere.

So it seems that Canon has made everything to protect its higher end cameras. Lets give them a very good Af, but no earphone jack and leave the aliasing and moire in. This sensor will be at the base of the apsc Canon line for the next 3 years. If I was a Canon dslr video shooter and that I cannot invest at least in the 5dmark 3 (Because of the hack) and C100 price, I would sell all my gear and go to another brand.

• What a Rolling shutter...

• maybe good for consumers, not so good for professionals - appearing to be yet another example of Canon's IQ cripple strategy to justify their grossly overpriced cinema line

It has nothing to do with cripple. It is just not so good developers and lack of attention.

• Interesting, but the line that really concerned me was: "When the image or video clip is being captured, the CMOS sensor behaves as it always has with EOS SLR cameras, unimpeded by the dual photodiodes and recording each individual pixel with virtually no loss of detail or sharpness."

When a marketing team using a phrase like 'virtually no loss of detail or sharpness' it makes me pause. I left Canon a couple years back because the image softness in video was starting be get to me and by the sounds of it, this camera is taking a step back in image quality in favor of more funtional automatic operations (maybe good for consumers, not so good for professionals - appearing to be yet another example of Canon's IQ cripple strategy to justify their grossly overpriced cinema line). ML RAW put Canon back on my radar 100x more that this announcement.

I thought I'd always have a bit of a soft spot in my heart for Canon, since they quite accidentally pioneered a DSLR film maker revolution, but now I'm finding that soft spot is turning hard.

• At present time there is not much to rave about the video quality coming out of that sample 70D camera. Images are extremely soft, a bit noisy and moire and aliasing are everywhere.

http://www.cinema5d.com/?p=20218