Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 Best Video Settings
  • 814 Replies sorted by
  • @wgtwo .. mm.. not sure i agree with you there.. Moon T7 as a result of the hack had an unbelievable change to GH2 quality.

• I found how I can use your Lut with premiere pro CS6, but you must buy Red Giant Lut Buddy. I've it and it's fun, The change is subtle but present, great work Yak.

• And to use with resolve 10, you must copy this LUT in C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\LUT . If you want to apply on all videos in the same time you go to : project setting\lookup table \3D output lookup table ant select your LUT. If you want to apply on only one video, clic right on the NODE (of your video) choice 3DLUT\LUT\ your LUT

• @surfculture It works great in After Effects CC by adding a utility effect to your clips timeline. Use the Apply Color LUT effect and import Yak's cube file from there.

• @surfculture Thank you for the explanation of how to use the LUT in Resolve!!!!

• Figured out how to use a LUT with FCPX. Now... I am right in thinking this will benefit all image options for the GH3? or only a particular custom setting?

• @surfculture Thank you for trying it out, thanks for feedback!

@thetrickster Since it's only the touching the hue it should work with every settings.

• LUTs really doing nice work on skin tones in After Effects. Thanks Yak!

• @yak Then, for you what would be the best setting to apply your LUT?

• @lumixmaxgh3

Depends on how much you want to bake in your settings... if you have time to CC go with Nat -5, if not standard 0 will do... It's up to you as the hue setting does not seem to change when switching settings

• Been shooting a bit today in different locations and I'm finding that with a good custom white balance (using a white card) and saturation set to 0 (all other settings at -5) I'm getting good skin tones in camera with little tweaking needed in post. Yaks LUT is helping to fix old rushes that didn't have a good white balance and had -5 across the board however!

• does anyone know how to use the LUT of yak with fcpx? thanks

• @nobbystylus Thx, good to say that if you do a good white balance with a card you can remove that magenta cast internally, so the LUT will throw your footage on the green side.

@lumixmaxgh3 I use LUT Buddy from red giant, it's a free trial with a watermark.

EDIT: I meant LUT Utility...like @thetrickster said.

• @lumixmaxgh3 - I use LUT Utility

http://www.colorgradingcentral.com/lututility

Free trail adds red dots to video, but its only $29 for full ver - Going to have a proper play tomorrow and if @yak 's LUT really helps I need to send him some beer tokens ;) and pay the $29...

• @thetrickster Can't wait for you feedback ;)

• I think even manually white balanced material can benefit from yaks LUT or hue/saturation adjustment. I shot a quick test with a single available light source (window). Camera was set at Natural -5, -5, 0, -5. Performed a manual WB on the gray card. Took an incident light reading with a separate meter and arrived at f2.8, 1/60, ISO: 1250. The camera meter reported 1 stop underexposed.

The attached frame grab from AE is unprocessed except for a denoise. While there may not be anything particularly objectionable about the skin tone, there is an improvement in mid-tone shadows with the application of the LUT. It's pretty obvious when you toggle the LUT on and off - even more so as you watch the magenta dot on the gray scale.

Thanks for your efforts so far, yak!

Skin Grab - Ungraded.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 253K
  • Thank you @PrestonH for your test.

What surprises me is that I never heard anybody think this camera had too light reds. I've heard about the chalky skin, the magenta cast... But to me it's pretty clear everything containing the colour red shot on the GH3 looks too bright.

Anyone agrees with me?

• YES I've been noticing since day one reds (magenta/purple/pink) are not well resolved in this camera, and its not the sensor is software calibrating stuff, because if you do exact white balance or play with post you can get proper tones, GH3 are not properly calibrated resulting in magenta and pink weird tones on skins ;-)

Maybe in firmware they can resolve this.

• @leonbeas

Your right it not the sensor, since RAW pictures looks ok. Once corrected video colours kinda looks like 5DIII's. Maybe, I say maybe, there is some sort of corporate thing going where you want your own colours or they don't want to offend Canon... Because I can't believe Panasonic with all the colour science team they have are not aware of this.

I have a G6 and it's the same and from what I have seen GM1 too.

• And yet someone (you) has cleverly figured out how to fix it! Kudos! :) Rain today, so no testing :(

• @yak

Yes maybe is some type of camera/brand identity, wrong at least for me ;-) And yes man thanks a lot for the lut files you are developing all the GH3 owners are thankful (or should be). Keep the good work, and maybe you and @Vitaliy_Kiselev could work out some way to correct this red channel issue in the hack. And maybe some other colour channel tweaks ;-)

Cheers all

• I would love a little status update on the GH3 dump, haha! Hopefully it's going smoothly :) @Vitaliy_Kiselev

• I have been wondered this skin tone issue. I have shooted about 10 000 video clips over a year and I have had no issue with skin tones. Maybe GH3 colors fit well in scandinavian "pale" skin. Japan is also pretty northern country so maybe they have been matched colors for lighter skin tone than in sunnier countrys. I dont know if this is making any sense but still I like GH3 video colors more than 5D3.

I calibrated my plasma and reduced red like I said earlier but that was actually fault in plasma, not in GH3.

• Have you been shooting -5?