Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
USB drive failure x2 - help
  • Help me out fellas.

In the past 2 months, 2 USB drives died on me. This has never happened to me before, despite all the Brand X drives I've used in my life. Now these 2 die in 2 months.

First one to die was Transcend UltraSpeed 32GB. I can't access it in Windows 7x64, although Windows do make a sound when I connect it to any of the USB ports on my PC.

I've tried looking for it in the Disk Management tab, but I didn't see it there. So basically the sound comes on when I plug it, the light on the USB drive coms on, but I can't access it, it doesn't show up in My Computer.

I have to say I first noticed it when I connected it on my iMac in the keyboard USB port. The USB drive was fine (as far as I can recall) until one day I couldn't see it on the Mac. So I tried it on the PC, and like I've mentioned, nothing. Except the sound notification.

So I went and bought another USB drive, SanDisk Cruzer Edge 16GB. It was a bargain, so I picked it up. I plugged it in my iMac first and copied some photos I've had. Ejected it when the copying was done.

Few hours later, decided to copy a movie file. Plugged it into the keyboard USB, the 4GB video file started to copy, and then out of the blue, after 10 seconds or so, I got the Finder warning me "The device was not ejected properly"...?

I didn't touch the thing, so I don't know where did the warning come from. I tried to mount the drive one more time but - no avail. I immediately tried to connect it on the PC, and I got the same result as the previous USB. I got the sound notification after plugging in the drive, but no trace of the device in My Computer or Disk Management...

Any ideas?

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • You could fine few other topics about same things.