Personal View site logo
USB drive failure x2 - help
  • Help me out fellas.

In the past 2 months, 2 USB drives died on me. This has never happened to me before, despite all the Brand X drives I've used in my life. Now these 2 die in 2 months.

First one to die was Transcend UltraSpeed 32GB. I can't access it in Windows 7x64, although Windows do make a sound when I connect it to any of the USB ports on my PC.

I've tried looking for it in the Disk Management tab, but I didn't see it there. So basically the sound comes on when I plug it, the light on the USB drive coms on, but I can't access it, it doesn't show up in My Computer.

I have to say I first noticed it when I connected it on my iMac in the keyboard USB port. The USB drive was fine (as far as I can recall) until one day I couldn't see it on the Mac. So I tried it on the PC, and like I've mentioned, nothing. Except the sound notification.

So I went and bought another USB drive, SanDisk Cruzer Edge 16GB. It was a bargain, so I picked it up. I plugged it in my iMac first and copied some photos I've had. Ejected it when the copying was done.

Few hours later, decided to copy a movie file. Plugged it into the keyboard USB, the 4GB video file started to copy, and then out of the blue, after 10 seconds or so, I got the Finder warning me "The device was not ejected properly"...?

I didn't touch the thing, so I don't know where did the warning come from. I tried to mount the drive one more time but - no avail. I immediately tried to connect it on the PC, and I got the same result as the previous USB. I got the sound notification after plugging in the drive, but no trace of the device in My Computer or Disk Management...

Any ideas?

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • You could fine few other topics about same things.