Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Diagonal rain appears using GH2 + Premiere Pro CS6 without a hack
  • 115 Replies sorted by
  • Think someone is able to solve also in CS6?

• @spreeni--seriously? Do you have a link to tests?

• It's fixed with PPro CC 7.1 and later. No diagonal noise anymore!

• OK I found P-NR in the menu, and it is defeatable. Has 3 settings and off. It was set on low, and even with NR off it still looks an improvement over the LCD as far as Diagonal Rain goes. Setting NR on High of course knocks the overall picture down a tad. I'll play around a bit more with it. Thanks.

• Just take a few random grainy clips and see if the TV is applying NR. Normally, it is defeatable in the menus, but of course it may simply be built into the dsp. I have never seen a TV without NR, although I suppose there may be some.

• @DrDave It may well? I just went through the Panasonic handbook, but I can't find a reference to NR. Anyway in another recent topic "Panasonic ends plasma production" I was pleased to read that a few other people also think things look better on good plasma panel. First Johnnie Walker announce the end of Green Label Blended Single Malt, and now the end of Plasma, all in the one year!

• Your TV presumably has NR.

• I'm learning cs6 and have noticed considerable rain on my laptop screen, mainly with shots of the sky, so for some reason I wanted to look at how bad it would show up on a 50 inch plasma. To my surprise I reckon 75% of the diagonal rain disappeared when viewed on the plasma panel, as apposed to the lap top, or pc screen. I went and transferred a couple of more "rainy files", that were also shots of the sky, to sd card and got the same pleasing results when viewed on the plasma.
    I went back and forth a couple of times and double checked, and if anything my plasma screen gives me a superior detailed picture all round, so I don't think it's a matter of rain not showing up because the plasma's not showing enough detail in the first place. Just sayin, because I'm interested to know if anyone else has experienced this, or if people are of the opinion that the plasma panel is tricking my old 'minds eye' ?

• My solution for future is to shoot intra (moon 5 currently maybe 7). However I have a project shot mostly on Flowmotion 2.02 GOP 3. I suppose I could transcode to a different wrapper and deblock in the transcode process. Still chews up storage but instead of quadrupling it just doubles. (I'm old school, I always keep originals)

I was hoping that someone had solved the workflow in VP to get around this, but as far as I can see there are no options on the decoding process. Bugging Sony is not going to be fruitful.

• You don't have to transcode to ProRes. You can transcode to h.264, or shoot intra, or go bug Sony to fix their problem.

• @dancerchris Hi friend and thank you so much for the reply. So, now what solution do you use to solve the rain? Moon 5 or trascode in PRO RES?

I have tryed moon7 is very good but with my sandisk 45MB/S block every 5-7 seconds.

Moon5 solve the rain problem, right? Is stable and has the recording continues beyond 4GB?

So i don't want: "I would like to avoid transcoding since going to ProRes 422 effectively quadruples my file storage for my project".

Is very terrible mode to work :(

• Thanks, but I already knew I could fix it on transcode. (At least now I know it is the deblocking on decode). I would like to avoid transcoding since going to ProRes 422 effectively quadruples my file storage for my project. This would put me into terabyte territory for my project. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the decoder options in Vegas Pro 12.

• Sorry to resuscitate an older thread but was running into this problem with Vegas Pro 12 as well. I was using 3 GOP (Flow motion 2.02) and saw the "rain" (shows up in dark areas). I have also used Moon T5 no rain. This was using the .mts files directly on the import. If I resampled to prores 422 prior to NLE then there was no problem.

Has anyone figured out the source of this issue, it is not just Premiere Pro.

• Thanks friend for the reply... Not good notice for me :( I have readed some topic here and in other forum and some user have solved with driftwood patch...I have finded also this on vimeo: "Sanity and all driftwood patches come out looking fantastic- no artifacts, or strange noise gradations anywhere in the shadows or otherwise".

I don't know other patches, but if they solve the problem...

• I have tried a number of different things and for sure the best way is to upsample to Cineform before editing. I wish it were not so, but it is so.

• Hello everyone, I'm a user Flow Motion 2.0.2 and I have no problem with rain Cs6 purchased. Monday I try to solicit new adobe, since I've paid, perhaps for the last time, but personally I'm hoping for a change in the Flow 2.0.2. to solve the problem.

May I know what other trusted and tested patch I can install to try to eliminate the effect of rain on Cs6? thank you very much greetings to all

• I loaded up the Flowmotion and the GOP says it is "3", unless I am looking in the wrong place. So I am assuming the problem lies elsewhere. For now, Cineform it is.

• @lpowell may want to look at differences between his encoding matrix and the one from the patch you used. It becomes an elimination game - one which neither you or I are suited to play.

• So it's not the GOP length what triggers the fault (you do confirm it was GOP=6 right?); Flowmotion is GOP=6 and does have the fault. Well then we haven't made any progress really.

• Did some more testing in combination with Jim over on Adobe Forums. Using the same firmware version that he does "Driftwood Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula '444 seti" my GH2 MTS files import and export form PP CS6 without fault so the camera is not at fault as such.

At least we know it is a combination of GH2 stock compression settings and the Main Concept filters used in PP CS6. Since both sides will point the finger at the other the solution seems to be using Pro-Res transcoding or custom firmware.

So no definitive reason for the problem but a better understanding I guess.

• Thanks for the Studio Premium suggestion. I have done some more trial conversion and ProRes is the bet option I can find. FFMBC is not as good as latest FFMPG using "Another GUI" front end for FFMPEG. FFMBC converts on PC fine to ProRes but is slower than FFMPEG. It does not seem to use all processors to the max and this has been noted in other forums. It is probably due to the slower release cycle for new versions of FFMBC. FFMPG uses all available processors to the max and does a quick and excellent job of conversion. Best of all you get ProRes encoding on PC for free.

• @andynz ref Cineform: for .mts you'd have to use the HDlink conversion tool from Studio Premium.

• I tried a Cineform converion via AME and it seemed rather slow. I went back to FFMBC and rendered in ProRes 185mbs at 60F/sec which gave me a fairly quick conversion time so for the moment I will stick with ProRes. Will also try a GH2 firmware with I frame only and see how it looks.

• Just tried using Cineform but having a problem. I tried to 3 GH2 MTS files but Cineform studio does not see MTS so renamed to .mp4. It sees the files but does not import. No error messages just does not import. The files are contiguous files 2 x 4gb and 1 1gb from 1.75 hour continuous record. Recorder with ptools firmware with bit rate increase only to 25mbs. Any ideas on what the problem may be?