Personal View site logo
Diagonal rain appears using GH2 + Premiere Pro CS6 without a hack
  • 115 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks friend for the reply... Not good notice for me :( I have readed some topic here and in other forum and some user have solved with driftwood patch...I have finded also this on vimeo: "Sanity and all driftwood patches come out looking fantastic- no artifacts, or strange noise gradations anywhere in the shadows or otherwise".

I don't know other patches, but if they solve the problem...

• Sorry to resuscitate an older thread but was running into this problem with Vegas Pro 12 as well. I was using 3 GOP (Flow motion 2.02) and saw the "rain" (shows up in dark areas). I have also used Moon T5 no rain. This was using the .mts files directly on the import. If I resampled to prores 422 prior to NLE then there was no problem.

Has anyone figured out the source of this issue, it is not just Premiere Pro.

• Thanks, but I already knew I could fix it on transcode. (At least now I know it is the deblocking on decode). I would like to avoid transcoding since going to ProRes 422 effectively quadruples my file storage for my project. This would put me into terabyte territory for my project. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the decoder options in Vegas Pro 12.

• @dancerchris Hi friend and thank you so much for the reply. So, now what solution do you use to solve the rain? Moon 5 or trascode in PRO RES?

I have tryed moon7 is very good but with my sandisk 45MB/S block every 5-7 seconds.

Moon5 solve the rain problem, right? Is stable and has the recording continues beyond 4GB?

So i don't want: "I would like to avoid transcoding since going to ProRes 422 effectively quadruples my file storage for my project".

Is very terrible mode to work :(

• You don't have to transcode to ProRes. You can transcode to h.264, or shoot intra, or go bug Sony to fix their problem.

• My solution for future is to shoot intra (moon 5 currently maybe 7). However I have a project shot mostly on Flowmotion 2.02 GOP 3. I suppose I could transcode to a different wrapper and deblock in the transcode process. Still chews up storage but instead of quadrupling it just doubles. (I'm old school, I always keep originals)

I was hoping that someone had solved the workflow in VP to get around this, but as far as I can see there are no options on the decoding process. Bugging Sony is not going to be fruitful.

• I'm learning cs6 and have noticed considerable rain on my laptop screen, mainly with shots of the sky, so for some reason I wanted to look at how bad it would show up on a 50 inch plasma. To my surprise I reckon 75% of the diagonal rain disappeared when viewed on the plasma panel, as apposed to the lap top, or pc screen. I went and transferred a couple of more "rainy files", that were also shots of the sky, to sd card and got the same pleasing results when viewed on the plasma.
    I went back and forth a couple of times and double checked, and if anything my plasma screen gives me a superior detailed picture all round, so I don't think it's a matter of rain not showing up because the plasma's not showing enough detail in the first place. Just sayin, because I'm interested to know if anyone else has experienced this, or if people are of the opinion that the plasma panel is tricking my old 'minds eye' ?

• Your TV presumably has NR.

• @DrDave It may well? I just went through the Panasonic handbook, but I can't find a reference to NR. Anyway in another recent topic "Panasonic ends plasma production" I was pleased to read that a few other people also think things look better on good plasma panel. First Johnnie Walker announce the end of Green Label Blended Single Malt, and now the end of Plasma, all in the one year!

• Just take a few random grainy clips and see if the TV is applying NR. Normally, it is defeatable in the menus, but of course it may simply be built into the dsp. I have never seen a TV without NR, although I suppose there may be some.

• OK I found P-NR in the menu, and it is defeatable. Has 3 settings and off. It was set on low, and even with NR off it still looks an improvement over the LCD as far as Diagonal Rain goes. Setting NR on High of course knocks the overall picture down a tad. I'll play around a bit more with it. Thanks.

• It's fixed with PPro CC 7.1 and later. No diagonal noise anymore!

• @spreeni--seriously? Do you have a link to tests?

• Think someone is able to solve also in CS6?

• It would be solved in CS6 if they pushed out a new version with updated Main Concept MP4 libraries.

• I'm not holding my breath but how likely is it that Adobe will do that?

• Not even "expectable". As they've been very clear about, CS6 is done. It's an old "ish" and they've moved on, but will still sell it to those who don't want to be on the CC versions. So no, there will be no upgrades of CS6.

• They have been pushing out CS6 updates to Creative Cloud subscribers. They have been continuing to update CS6 this whole time. Given they are fixing other issues it hasn't been "done" since the CC version was introduced and the push to get everyone on Creative Cloud. Someone is deciding what bugs are worth fixing and what aren't so there actually is some level of expectation that it could be fixed in CS6 if it's fixed in CC, given it's because of a 3rd party library the app is compiled with.

My last update for CS6 was 14 days ago.

• You might get a "fix". You're welcome to wish. Personally, I wouldn't count on it. It's just a "might".

• Interesting. I regularly update CS6 via the Adobe Application Manager but I haven't seen a new version of PrePro in a while. I wonder why they would push them out more frequently to CC subscribers...

• I guess I should have clarified, when I said CS6 I was specifically looking at After Effects, since I don't render anything out of Premiere. But, I just looked, the last update came in on the 10th as well. Some parts of CS6 that I have installed from CC are quite old however.

• @DouglasHorn

The main point of the CC model is to push things out to the users quicker. Rather than developing an entire new product every 14 months or so, the goal is to send out improvements on this or that to the user-base as soon as they are ready, not holding onto them for another few months.

Those changes to the CC version are not going to get implemented in CS6 because that version is no longer in development. They'll send out bug fixes, and a few things that would enable users to continue so far with new codecs, but no new features or even modifications to current features will be coming.

• @rNeil - I understand the CC model and rationale behind it. I was responding to BurnetRhoades's comment about the new CS6 updates that are being pushed out to CC subscribers. Those should be going out to paid CS6 users in a timely manner as well. If they've already developed these and are distributing them to CC subscribers they should go to CS6 users at the same time.

• Since first installing CS6, via CC, truthfully I haven't looked at any of the patch notes on what is actually being fixed or changed. I'm sure it has nothing to do with actual features, just OS issues or the like. I would classify buggy MPEG decoding as a bug worth fixing but Adobe often has odd priorities.