Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
25mm F0.95 SLRMagic topic
  • 245 Replies sorted by
  • SLR Magic definitely have problems with flare. : (

• This flaring is nowhere near that of the 12mm f1.6... That one really flares heavily wide open.

• sorry guys, but I can not follow you, I use the translator does not help me more LOL .. "to flare" means how well the lens works blurring the lights? So there is a partial disappointment, watching this video, do you think?

Of course, watching the latest video posted, does not look so cinematic as the Voigtlander 25mm 0.95. But it will cost, at least initially, $ 650 (500 euro) ...

(an aside: it will cost one thousand ibelux the 40mm f0.85 out perhaps later this year, what do you think?)

• I'd agree. Flare seems ok to me.

• Nokton 17mm 0.95 has some flare effect, too. See http://kimpd.com/30162242080 Lovely lens.

SLR Magic lenses have much more pronounced flares, and they look ok to me for video. But not ok for photo. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

• It's quite (a lot..) the odd flare at times tho for essentially a standard angle lens.. shouldnt happen unless the design is not up to par with other glass or its really intentional, bit too sensitive to it for my taste (even for video).. that combined with some extreme purple fringing (at 0.95 i presume) makes me wonder why i would even go for one of these super light sensitive lenses. liked the 12mm 1.6, but this is not really something for me.

• The 25mm 0.95 is now on their products page for Preorder:

http://www.slrmagic.com/products.php

• I'm actually amazed at the IQ from SLRMagic given the size of the company and relative resources compared to most long time Lens makers. Can you imagine how hard it is to compete against giants in this industry? I'm actually blown away most of the time by this and other lenses from this company. I hope one day to have their range and a BMC MFT. That would be really nice.

• Fringing is pretty bad wide open, not worse than the voigt 25mm though.. Either one looks close to unusable wide open. You get a lot for the money with the slr magic though (for video).

I´m a bit dissapointed that they don´t go the same route as with the 35mm though, where the image circle covers aps-c and it´s fully switchable in-between systems. I´m reluctant to splash out on lenses I can only use on one system these days.

• is there any way to remove fringing from video ?

• "SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 25mm T0.95 micro four thirds * 2 weeks after order date. Quality for $150 USD rebate after buyer informs us the lens is received".

I don't understand: first you pay 800$ and then you have a rebate? They send you $ 150...?? These are really bad news, because the costs of customs are applied to $ 800, instead of 650. I decided to wait definitively, the distribution from Europe, and also wait for a few reviews to see if it really is better than the Voigtlander..

• Been communicating with them for about a month. Good customer service and fairly quick replies. Ordered the 25mm on Friday morning for $650 and received it Monday in New York. Did not pay any extra taxes. So far it's a great lens but ill need some time to really test it.

• So far so good. I like it. Good quality free up-ring. The only caveat is that min focus distance is 26cm.

• Well, I do not know what to say, everything seems so hazy, the center .. Am I wrong? You could try something outside and some tests up to f4? thanks

• No testing this week. Too busy.

• Tanx! This is the kind of test I find quite useful. I see heavy purple fringing around bright lights. Do Voigts have that as well?

• At 0.95 (or death-of-field haha) smooth creamy bokeh w/ neutral color w/o vignetting makes the fringing less bothersome. Or just step it down which removes purple fringe a lot while keeping the circular bokeh shape.

• Yeah I know but I'm looking for a lens that will give me the most light sensitivity while remaining reasonably sharp and free of aberrations/fringing etc. I'm mostly shooting artworks and audiovisual performances in the dark, with strong lighting contrasts. Quite often at 3000+ ISO. I rather go for a slower lens if it lets me use it wide open than for a faster lens I need to stop down to be useable. I'm after something else than most I guess. And yes I know this is very demanding of fast lenses...

• What impresses me is the perfectly circular bokeh and excellent sharpness at f1.4, at least judging by this: http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=137&catid=40&Itemid=2

(Scroll down) If you pay attention to the shoulder / hair it seems like the fringing is completely gone by then, too. The 25mm voigt IMO is difficult to put to any extensive use wide open and it´s bokeh is not nearly as pleasing when stopped down.

A viable option in nearly the same focal length / same useable speed would be the samyang 24mm.. Maybe somebody who owns it could elaborate on a speculative comparison.

• Nice comparison. Something's weird though. The SLR's sharpness is better at 0.95 than 1.4. Check the earrings in the 100% crops.

• Model placement is different in-between shots. Hence the difference. @0.95 the model is pretty close to the camera.

• I´d like to see someone try the lens out on a nex! (see if the image circle is large enough to cover aps-c.

• At $650 and good reviews and good comments from forum members, what are you waiting for? :)

Before everything becomes clear, price will jump to $800.

• Does anyone know when the rebate expires? Most companies have a Before date listed on rebates,