Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
25mm F0.95 SLRMagic topic
  • 245 Replies sorted by
  • @itimjim So then which ones are which? :) Do you think you would be able to do it if the reflection wasn't there?

• @vicharris, LOL, I've left myself open to getting this wrong now :).

1. (26.mov): 25
    2. (30.mov): 12
    3. (28.mov): 35

The 12 is pretty easy to spot as there's a tonne of background that can be seen. 25 and 35 would be harder to differentiate without the reflections (you're much smaller in number 3).

• Yep, I'm sure I could have got the 35 closer. It seems to be a little off the other in terms of real T stop measurements.

• @P13DM I don't think there's a single anamorphic that will suit the 25/0.95. The only models that will give clarity across the frame without vignetting will mean using them at f4 and above (LA7200, Century etc). Isco, Bolex, Kowa, all won't work at 25mm with the Voigtlander or SLRMagic. I don't even think they'll work with the GH3 (slightly larger crop), but there's hope on the BMCC.

I've confined my anamorphic shooting to a rack free zone. It's just a different way of shooting. I'm planning on using a jib to add motion and keep a little more DOF, which as you know MFT is perfect at doing. If I ever get funding, I might plump for a Isco 36 and get on the rack, but until then....no :).

My anamorphic set consists of Canon FD 28/2, 35/2, 50/1.4, 50/3.5 Macro, 85/1.8, 135/2.8, 80-200/4 L, all shot with a Bolex 16/32/1.5x. And I'm using a Tokina 11-16 with an LA7200 for wides.

I'm building a spherical prime set (that will rack focus) using Voigtlander 25/0.95, Samyang 35/1.4, Nikon 50/1.4 AIS, Samyang 85/1.4. Still to get the 35 and 50.

• Been waiting to talk about this for a bit, but absolutely loving the 25/0.95 and 12/1.6 on Blackmagic MFT. Feels and looks amazing. Quick snaps of the two pieces of glass on the camera.

Footage soon.

MFT_BLACKMAGIC.jpg
    800 x 621 - 415K
    MFT_BLACKMAGIC_3.jpg
    1948 x 1350 - 2M
    MFT_BLACKMAGIC_4.jpg
    2008 x 1350 - 2M
  • @kholi, Ah Man i'm so jealous :) I can just imagine what you can do with those lenses and the BMC. Should clean up those low light shots.

• @kholi Are you one of the MFT beta testers? So jealous. Now just get the 35mm 0.95 and you'll be invincible.

• No cats, I've been trying to get something together to shoot... everything's falling through and I'm still in pre-production on my WebSeries. @mintcheerios -- Yeah Beta Tester, it's been great! I also can't WAIT for 35/0.95 SLRMagic.

Here's a DNG from the 25/0.95 wide open, 800 ISO, 180 shutter -- https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8-f...it?usp=sharing

SLR25095.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • @kholi

that still grab is amazing!

I've been trying to avoid m43 specific lens, but after the 25mm, I'm on the hunt for the 12mm. Bad bad bad.

Does anyone know if the 25mm will lose infinity if you add a 46mm filter, then use 77mm step up with with an ND? I thought I read something like that on the 35mm.

• @griplimited

You shouldn't have any issues with infinity, what you may encounter are strange reflections but likely that won't be a problem, either.

I'm also pretty amazed at the wide open performance of the 25 HyperPrime. I would say that it's excellent from 0.95 to 5.6, which is where the performance really should be. The lens does have its share of CA, but I can pull nearly one-hundred percent of the CA out in Resolve in less than sixty seconds, so it's a non issue for me.

I know this isn't the topic, but the 12/1.6 looks amazing on Blackmagic, as well. FAR far better than the Tokina 11-16/2.8, wide open.

• Somebody can download the video from kholi at googledrive?

'Sorry, the file you have requested does not exist.'

• Yes SM 25mm 0.95 has some strange flares. It gets more weird & ugly (fugly) as aperture ring is narrowed. At f/4 or higher, I'd prefer CV 25mm 0.95. This SM lens is really optimized toward the wide aperture like f/2.8 or faster. I wish to keep both lenses, but I had to sell Voigtlander lens to fund for SLRMagic lens.

• @Stonebat I am in a similar situation now. I love the Voigtländer lenses, but I am really tempted to sell my 25mm Nokton to fund the SLR Magic. Damn...got the 17.5mm and a new 42.5mm is coming up....

• For the price the SLR, but every time I see that flare gives me pain in the eyes and continuing saving for Nokton.

@Stonebat, to f1.4 the flare type riple is maintained?

• For music videos the flare might be an asset.

• @P13DM I agree. From examples, the flare seems much less than the 12mm. Even if it has some flare, it could be nice for certain projects, but then I wouldn't throw my Nokton away either.

• I've been passing the Voigt 25 and SLRMagic 25 back and forth on Blackmagic for the last two days. Nothing crazy to shoot, or amazing (Preproduction takes forever) but just subjectively glancing at the images at various apertures, primarily wide open as this is really why I want an 0.95 to begin with.

Most lenses perform fine beyond F2.4~, to me if a lens is pitched as a fast piece of glass then it should be great wide open, maybe not perfect, but great.

The SLRMagic is clearly optimized to be a wide open performer, and holds onto that until about 2~2.8 before the Voigtlander begins to overtake it. The flare suppression of the Voigtlander definitely helps it retain more contrast before any post manipulation beyond 2~2.8. Below this point, the SLRMagic leads, especially at 0.95 in both daylight and lowlight/night setups.

It's not as if you have to pixel peep, either, it's clear as day which one is sharper wide open.

I'll post DNGs from the camera soon to look at, for now I would say both lenses are pretty strong on the camera and actually do feel like they are for different markets, both have their own unique traits.

I'm VERY happy with the SLRMagic.

DNGs soon.

Oh and on the topic of flares, yes, the SLRMagic flares more than the VOigtlander at every aperture, but to me it's not a deal breaker or even bad. It's just part of the look that it has.

• SM 25mm and CV 17.5mm complement each other. ebay sells CV 17.5mm new and FS at $940.

• @kholi I couldn't agree more. I have a complete set of Rokinon Cine Primes I use now if I want that new crisp look and a complete set of SLR Cine lenses is a great choice for another type of look. I have the 12, 25 and 35 and they give a more organic feel and they allow me to shoot in a more inconspicuous manner. I think it's a really good balance.

• a short video for a short trip to Cappadocia, Turkey. Mostly shot with the aforementioned lens:

• Just walkin' around night prior. Mostly SLR 25/0.95 HyperPRime on Blackmagic Micro-Four Thirds, some 12/1.6 as well. Will grab some more footage at NAB, really can't wait to get into actual production... delays with web series.

Voigt and SLR 25/0.95 Comparison soon as well, already have that footage (what little of it exist).

• @kholi Is that Abbot Kinney?

• @vicharris yeah First Friday yesterhour.

• @kholi Nice, I live pretty close by Sony. I was just showing another guy from PV this lens today as well as the 12 and 35mm. I tried to go to Venice last week to get some footage with the 25mm but didn't like anything I got. This stuff looks pretty damn good man.

• @vicharris - I wish this area had more interesting stuff to just pick off. One of the meh things about living in Los Angeles is having to leave Los Angeles to find something random to shoot. =T

Thanks much, man.