Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
25mm F0.95 SLRMagic topic
  • The SLR Magic 25mm .95 lens

To be produced by accomplished Noktor lens-maker SLR Magic, the lens has so far been almost exclusively refferred to via comparison to a similar, fast lens by another prestige manufacturer.

This to[ic is to discuss the upcoming SLR Magic 25mm .95 lens on its own merits.

Those wanting to know which fast, 25mm lens to invest in might like to look at news item, Is the SLR magic 25mm f/0.95 better than the Nokton? - Personal View.

Discussion of fast 25mm MFT lenses at http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5910/which-fast-25mm-mft-lens#Item_4

• 245 Replies sorted by
  • Just a heads up: your attached photo is of the 50mm 0.95 - not the 25mm 0.95.

EDIT: You're welcome. :)

• I hope that does not have focus problems or flare in the waveform of the 35mm T1.4, I which rejects a possible purchase.

• This is not really a secret. Nokton 25mm is known to have soft center sharpness at max aperture. Nokton 17.5mm was improved to have sharper center. So I presume Voigtlander could improve Nokton 25mm further. But it’s really subjective matter. What bothers me the most is the clicked aperture. Hyperprime 12mm and Nokton 17.5 really spoiled me. I want all my primes to be declicked. Hyperprime 25mm 0.95 has it. SLR Magic is playing dumb. They have the edge on declicked aperture and built-in lens gears. They just need to focus on build quality and focus ring accuracy. But as @beeldlab mentioned on his blog:

Both lenses feel robust. The Voigtländer focuses as smooth as butter. It’s such a pleasure to use that lens. The SLR Magic 25mm is not as smooth. There is also a tiny, tiny bit of slack on the focus ring when you turn it. Maybe preproduction fault. Not sure. Let’s hope. The Voigtländer does not have a lens gear to use a follow focus. The 25mm SLR magic does have one.

Yeah let's hope and wait.

• The people who've been good enough to provide test photos from this lens are not - with respect - professional laboratories but dudes like the rest of us.

Some of the earlier pic samples which SLR Magic sent to 43 Rumors were quoted to be "what we expect to achieve with the lens, [ when the prototype gets built]"

Now, this is symptomatic of our information overload culture. We get sloppy testing and then people even read results sloppily. I'm not saying SLR Magic would be taking advantage of our respect for their excellent products and services and were about to release some over-rated lens in a couple of months.

But we should be expecting to see real lab test results soon. I cannot imagine that the first guinea pigs testers might be the first buyers themselves!

Still, stranger things have happened before.

Caveat emptor.

• Silly test with the SLR Magic 25mm to 'test' repeatable focus. Here's a mini blog about it. http://www.beeldlab.nl/focus-test-slr-magic-25mm-hiperprime/

• Quite silly but useful ^^

• Not useless since the 35mm 1.4 can't do it. I'm sure is there to assure people it's not the same as the 35.

• I can repeat the comparison tests and show comparable sharpness between Voigt and SLR-M 25 if I set the Voigt to f1.4.

So I'm saying the SLR - M's widest aperture is probably f/1.2. It's an f/1.2 lens.

Which would explain it all.

Those wanting to know the difference between aperture and T-Stop light ratings really should have looked it up by now.

• Sharpness is no way to determine a lenses max aperture. Some lenses are sharper wide open.

Your test just proves that the SLR Magic is sharper till 1.4.

• I really like that SLR Magic is focusing on ultimate sharpness at max aperture since that is the main appeal of these lenses.

• @ratlabproductions

Sharpness is no way to determine a lenses max aperture.

Sharpness ? Of course not. But DOF is, ipso facto, the measure of what a lense's aperture is set to. On this lens, that happens to be its maximum.

Im saying,

Must be I have strange personal opinion that SLR Magic 25 mm is not a f/0.95 lens.

[Edited by VK]

This is, (yawn) once again, getting back to kindergarten and I won't be dragged back there even if you let me use the swings. :-P

• The SLR Magic 50mm was made for center sharpness. The edges are fairly weak. Now to some this maybe a problem or an asset. I wonder if the 25mm has the same characteristics.

• It might be sharp but the purple fringing seems excessive.

• If you're in Australia, I suggest you first consider viewing this lens, (boxed and labelled to our standards) in a reputable retailer's shop.

Your purchase should then be covered by our consumer protection laws. If they are touting an f/1.4 lens as a 0.95, you'll get your money back.

If it defies the laws of light refraction and hyperfocal, then this I've gotta see - (in store please).

But, for chrissakes, Hugo's test comparisons even look darker than the 0.95. I mean, he wouldn't have stopped it down, and would he? Why is it darker and more in focus?

I say if it looks like a 1.4 a duck and it focuses from 54cm to 68cm goes "quack, quack"...

• There is no way to get overall sharp focus at 0.95 ... If you get such wide focus at 0.95 than it must be something wrong with the lens ... no shallow DOF ...

Comparison of SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 25mm T0.95 to three other highly adorable, wide open 25mm F0.95 lenses.

http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=137&catid=40&Itemid=2

• I'd pick Nokton 25mm for photo at any moment. But HyperPrime 25mm is definitely more video friendly lens. Very nice. Very little vignetting. Creamy circular bokeh. Stepless aperture.

Either one is definitely better than the vintage lenses.

• SLR Magic 25mm T0.95 VS Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 : The Exclusive Fight !

• GH3 AVCHD 1080P 50
    • SLR Magic 25mm always @ T0.95
    • Voigtlander 25mm always @ f/0.95
    • Natural mode
    • No color correction

I've just received from SLR Magic their new 25mm T0.95 lens, the production copy. It has been improved with sharpness and purple fringing 3D-Kraft Pre production lens. The result is astonishing to my opinion, very sharp image at full aperture. Here is a non scientific quick test between those two lenses. More tests to come.

• @sebfarges Thanks for your test! I wouldn´t mind to see the bokeh of the slrmagic stopped down if you have the time to shoot some more (or maybe you already did?). :)

• @sebfarges , nice video. Natural mode, what was the settings ? 0,0,0,0 ?

• @RRRR soon a new test online ;)

• SLR Magic 25mm T0.95 1st hands on !!! :)

• @sebfarges

Cool, thanks for posting.