Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cluster X: Series 1 - moon - ЅріzZ - nebula - drewnet - Slipstream
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • 3 was very special but 5 seems very good, talking 24p.

• @driftwood. My vote is for Intra 24p, 3GOP for HBR and 1080i60 and 6GOP for 720p60. I use NTSC.

• My vote is for best 24p and 50p. Interlaced it is more difficult to edit than progressive and does not hold as much detail.Although I must admit, it looks pretty good in the last trial 5.

• I think as zaven13 that the best for me is: Intra 24p, 3GOP for HBR and 1080i60 and 6GOP for 720p60

• A test of Moon Trial 3 1080p 24p (maybe 24L by mistake) :

• Shot with Moon Trial 3:

• @driftwood. Just used Cluster X Drewnet last night. Shot 1080 24P, shutter at 30 with 14-140 and used Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC I 95mb/s 64GB card. No issues on a continues 40 min recording zooming in and out with and without auto focus. I know these aren't the setting that make stuff fail but I'll put the other modes through the ringers unless someone has already done it.

• @QuickHitRecord what ISO(s) were you using for the Iscorama portion?

• Morning all. got a GH2 after getting rid of my sony nex 5n. Have applied moon 5 and been shooting a lot over the weekend and am still waiting for the 'wow' factor to kick in. I was expecting better resolution from the get go over the Sony NEX but you get that with stock firmware anyway. It just seems that I am not getting the 'pop' from my footage that I see elsewhere on vimeo/youtube etc. I think lighting has a lot if not everything to do with it as the English weather right now is dark and drab and not indusive to great footage but I still feel that I could be pushing the camera further and/or maybe doing something wrong to make the footage appear less 'poppy' than I have seen elsewhere. I am aware of the iso bug and am shooting with the kit 14-42 lens..

Just an observation really..am digging all the work that goes on here..I hope to pursue my tests and see if I can yield better results over the coming weeks!

• @lmackreath: as you have already noticed, good lighting is a key factor to make the gh2 sing. You also might want to try another lens. The 14-42 lens is not really worthwhile. Its not very fast and has a rather videoish look. You get some nice old manual lenses though for little money.

Also try to learn how to grade your footage, many people do that to give it an extra pop. Besides those things, just shoot shoot and shoot, the more you get to know to the gh2, the more you learn its shortcomings and strenghts.

• @Mirrorkisser I agree the kit lens is not up to much scratch, and am looking to get a couple of M43 adapters to use with some manual lenses I bought for my Sony NEX 5N. I will keep playing and hopefully post some footage soon for some feedback.

• @BurnetRhoades 160 (f/1.8), 320 (f/2.8), 640 (f/4), 1250 (f/5.6), 2500 (f/8). I bought myself a stop of light each time I stopped down to try to keep an even exposure.

• @lmackreath: GH2 is a Razor's Edge type of experience. Result quickly go from "Redlike" to below average just by moving the camera an inch. I find it very exciting and challenging. We use to shoot everything on 7Ds and I got bored of their faux soft cinema look.

I'm certainly not a gh2 expert but i'll share some tips I've learned on my own. Try Flowmotion setting (not that is a better setting). But it seems to pop color more in ungraded footage in my experience. That's a completely subjective observation and may not be accurate, I haven't ran any tests.

Also, gh2 seems to look a lot better in outdoor natural sunlight shoots and more muddy and flat in indoor shoots. Like two different cameras. Doesn't seem to be a color temperature thing.

And, this camera is a lens hound dream. Experiment!

• If you want extreme pop use Boom and moon is absolutely excellent too but don't come crying cus it uses too much bitrate -its suppose to! Spizz measures the best 3 GOP Ive seen atm on the QP. I suggest @Skenzin tries out a few other settings in his time here on this thread.

• Hey Guys,

Are any of these versions of Moon stable on 720p60 or 720p50?

The 24H videos look brilliant. I am looking to have slow-mo in the tool belt as well, however. Apologies for this question - I'm sure it is answered somewhere in the thread - I am just super-busy at the moment.

Any help is much appreciated.

-Matt

• I was going to type in a long ass flame type response but decided to refrain myself. A sort of Vic2013 thing. Anyways, @lmackreath, what Driftwood said. Period. Also as I believe some others have said, what you might be seeing on here in terms of POP is some really good grades from some of these patches which is what Driftwood is going for these days. A little more work on the back end gets amazing results. I just bought Color Gear and was learning how to use it on some of the Moon and Drewnet hacks and it creates amazing results without destroying the footage.

• @Fontee Some good work is being done on 720p modes at the moment...

• @driftwood - I'm not sure if you mean there is a new patch being developed (good work being done on that) or there is good work being done in 720p50/60 on one of the current moon patches...

I have a 3-day shoot starting tomorrow morning, so I'm going to do some testing with a new patch in the evening. Let me know :)

-Matt

• @driftwood - agreed :-) Been following Moon and going over some recommended settings in the "Top 5" thread. I plan on shooting my next video in 720p60. Sometimes it feels overwhelming the amount of settings and how they relate. Wish i knew more, but I'll keep reading. Appreciate all the development you do!

• Guys don't get me wrong I was not being derogatory towards these hacks and the obvious hard work put into them. I was just being very lazy and was expecting the hacked ungraded footage out of this camera to amaze me and even though the resolution over the nex 5n is night and day I am yet to yield mind blowing results.

As I said though.. My shooting conditions have been poor, I have not had chance to grade footage fully yet and also have not played with all the hacks and all the settings yet. I am a gh2 virgin but have owned a nex 5n for two years and used that soley for video so I know in terms of codecs, grading and editing I have done my time and I know that I will eventually get more out of my gh2.

• @Fontee, @Skenzin. For 720p, the H mode from any of the patches works great, gives you very good quality and spans. For example, you can use the H mode of any of the Clusters with no problems.

• @imackreath

do you have a link to any thing you have shot with the nex resembling the look you are trying to get?

or do you have anything to show that you have shot with moon? Most people using the gh2 are aiming for a somewhat "filmic" look. You looking for that "pop" makes it sound like you are trying to achieve a "video look" more so than a "filmic look" Are you looking for vibrant colors or detail?

how long have you been using the gh2? there are so many different variations of settings that it's almost a headache, and I would say this is more of a user thing than a patch thing. It all just depends on what look you are trying to achieve.

• @Zaven13

Thank you! Any comments on SH?

• Here's a nice piece of video I shot with 24L mode using Moon. Very nice to see the results. I suggest watching without the sound so you can ignore my blather (it's B-roll.) The lens is the Panasonic 14-140.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters