Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
1280x800 IPS 7" NEWAY CL76HO-X and CL76SDI monitors, amazing
  • 266 Replies sorted by
  • The first thing I did was setting language to english, I can't remember how exactly, guess if you will follow this link and follow the menu setting you should get there! http://www.neway.me/products_detailed.aspx?Flag=1&ID=593 you

• Got mine a couple of days ago. Extremely impressed with the image sharpness. I have a much more expensive 9" Marshall and it easily compares in terms of image quality. I got the HDMI version and wow, what a steal of a deal. My only beef, and it's fairly significant, is that the menu items are in Chinese so I need to figure how to change the language settings. I sent an email to the company, let see how they respond

• Ordered this, really great monitor, great resolution, light weight and handy, 5 working days (Hong Kong - Paris)!, ( Miss Cole from Neway is very professional ) , review soon...

• Ordered this, and it's a really great monitor, lots of the features for the price. My only wish would be having a 2.35:1 matte (it can do 4:3, but not 2.35:1). Perhaps that would be available in a firmware update?

• Thanks @pwc looks like a very cool monitor.

• @DrDave Below the test you requested.

@vicharris Battery plate option NWNP-F960 (SONY "L" Type Series) + third party SONY NP-F570 battery (its drains rather quickly). The monitor ships with an adapter for direct AC plug-in but no battery charger.

Highlight test.jpg
    2273 x 958 - 428K
  • I meant 5.6" like the $900 Ikan one with all these features. I guess I can't have the best of both worlds! :) I've worked with a 7" monitor for awhile now from the workhorse Marshall with peaking to 4 different versions of Lilliputs and just wanted something a little smaller for handheld stuff. Every little ounce helps after a 10 hour day doing handheld! I'm sure it's great and for the price, even better!

@pwc, what battery option are you using?

• @vicharris @bmorgan83
    guys, the monitor is very handy despite its size, actually it would be pity to have it any smaller than it is. It is also not too heavy, no problem mounting it directly on hot shoe. The focusing works so easy even without zooming. It is a dream to use it, thanks again for this great deal, Vitaliy!

• 7" just seems too big to use connected to the camera… 7" or 9" would be great for a tap feed to a director, or on larger production for focus puller.

Of course, you can think as you like, but practice and nature also exist. 7" is usually more handy as external monitor. 5" monitors are rarity, 5.6" monitors are not much smaller, and using their high resolution to their advantage is harder :-)

• I agree… I'd love to have these features in a 5" monitor… 7" just seems too big to use connected to the camera… 7" or 9" would be great for a tap feed to a director, or on larger production for focus puller.

• Damn I wish the made this monitor in the 5" version!

• @pwc--thanks for the info, that looks great. Can you just do a quick test where you have a tiny area with a blown highlight on the GH2 monitor and on the external monitor to see if they are showing the same area as overexposed. TIA.

• @slacklaporte Colors are pretty accurate. In the attached photo the red book on the table has the right color and it is closely matched by the color from the Neway monitor straight from the HDMI output of the GH2, without any in-monitor color correction (there are 3 knobs to change brightness, contrast & chroma). The color from the GH2 monitor is off.

Neway monitor color accuracy.jpg
    1518 x 1412 - 348K
  • @pwc i know its not the purpose of your post and i cannot judge on photos, but colors seem good. How about colors accurancy?

• @DrDave You can make the monitor correspond to the GH2 highlight function because the alert zones are configurable. Two functions correspond to what you want :

• CLIP GUIDE shows in real time the highlights in vivid blinking or static purple but also the shadows in dark blinking or static purple.

• FALSE COLORS shows in real time much more information, including highlights and shadows in static vivid colors.

Apart from having more functionalities than the GH2/GH3, these features are also available in ANY of the GH2 (or GH3) modes (photo or video, manual or automatic).

(see attached photos, the purple on the shadow image is subtle)

Correctly exposed photo.jpg
    1152 x 768 - 203K
    CLIP GUIDES showing shadows on underexposed photo.jpg
    1152 x 768 - 241K
    CLIP GUIDES showing highlights on overexposed photo.jpg
    1152 x 768 - 242K
    FALSE COLORS on overexposed photo.jpg
    1152 x 768 - 263K
  • Anyone who owns one, can you check if the flase color corresponds with the GH2 zebras? TIA.

• Just ordered one of these, excited for it. Looks very good for the price.

• I'm seriously interested in this CL76HO-X monitor but I have no experience using false color. Is there any sort of calibration required to insure that what I see with the false color display accurately represents the exposure ranges of my un-hacked GH2? Do any of the GH2 hacks interfere with this, or any monitor's accuracy or false color reading?

False color just show brightness. It represents relative exposure (starting from minimum black values to full white), so no need to calibrate something.

• I'm seriously interested in this CL76HO-X monitor but I have no experience using false color. Is there any sort of calibration required to insure that what I see with the false color display accurately represents the exposure ranges of my un-hacked GH2? Do any of the GH2 hacks interfere with this, or any monitor's accuracy or false color reading?

I've read that some monitors have a 4 to 6 second delay when switching functions on a camera (waiting for the hdmi signal to re-sync). Does the CL76HO-X exhibit much delay?

Thanks for offering this monitor, Vitaliy. I'll be ordering one as soon as I have the funds. When ordering, do I need to specify which battery plate I wish to use?

• @SuperSet Great news, thanks for testing!

• Also discovered that the hot shoe mount may not be the best place for the monitor as I've noticed that the front is already starting to lift away from the camera. So, it's hanging at an angle. It's likely not meant to handle the weight of this monitor so I'm gonna look for an articulating arm to hang from my rod supporting the shoulder pad.

• @hempo22 OK, confirmed fine on 24p playback as well.

• @SuperSet Looks good, thanks!

• @hempo22 I can confirm playback of 60p on the GH3. Will advise on 24p. I have not tested either on the GH2.