Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 High Quality GOP3 Settings, Series 2: 'AN' Valkyrie, GOLGOP3-13, GOP3ZILLA, Duke, natural :-)
  • 670 Replies sorted by
  • @Aashay

Hi mate,

Many thanks for using Valkyrie 444 Lite and beautiful footage! I am glad if you are pleased with it. :-)

• Just some random shots I took with Valkyrie Lite at a 600 years old mausoleum. I really liked the setting and it held up pretty great during grading and little bit of scaling.

Thanks bkmcwd for your effort.

• @Azo

Hi Nanao,

Many thanks for your feedbacks! :-)

Although I myself mainly use Panny lens and I use the recommended SDXC card, the info will become helpful for many users.

• @bkmcwd

I decided to try the 64gb 45mb/s cards on the Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO3_BETA2 patch. I did not experience any problems with 24p/HBR30p/720p modes. The 24p and 720p modes spanned for at least 1/2hr before I stopped the recording. In the HBR30p mode I was able to record for 15 minutes before the recording stopped. I repeated the test twice in the HBR30p mode with the same results. I am not sure what changes were made to the patch, but at least I can use my slower cards now :). I did not have a Panasonic lens on the camera, I used a Nikon 50mm 1.8g lens so I am not sure if this makes a difference but just thought that I would share this info as well.

Best Regards, ナナオ

• @Mrhechang

Hi mate,

Thanks for your interesting footage. I love your work! :-)

• L mount 50mm Lenses / Hacked GH2 Valkyrie Lite by bkmcwd

L mount FED 53mm F2.8
    L mount CANON 50mm F1.8
    L mount Jupiter-3 50mm F1.5

• @moribun1984

Hi mate,

Thank you for the beautiful footage appropriate for GH2! :-)

• @Azo

Hi Nanao,

Thanks for your your comment! :-)

if you have any suggestions for a Steadicam type of device please let me know because I would like to purchase another brand.

It seems that it is very good to modify FLYCAM C5 in my friend's talk although I am not detailed about a ready-made article. It seems that however, C5 is quite heavy...

I would like to ask if you could post a picture of your custom made steadicam so I can look for something similar.

It is displayed on the beginning of my YouTube.

• @kraqman

Thanks for your comment! :-)

Did you use a vest or was it all handheld?

All handheld.

• Hacked GH2 by bkmcwd "Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO3 BETA2" Pana12-35mm + TIFFEN 72mm Variable ND Filter AVCHD24p, SS1/50, Aperture Open, ISO160-400, WB Outdoors under a clear sky, NOSTALGIC(-2,-2,+1,-2) Transcode from MTS to ProRes422 by Adobe Media Encoder CS6 Exposure & Color Adjustment, Edit by FCPX Music: http://www.jamendo.com/95626(Fragilita)

• @bkmcwd

Yeah, I am going to sell the Glidecam and look for something different. I still think that you have a lot of skill at flying your custom made Steadicam. Maybe you could sell it to me and build yourself a newer model :) In regard to your patch for the most part I will only be posting to Youtube and websites, so for my purposes your patch is pretty much perfect. Most of the footage I shoot will be shot in HBR30p and this is why I really love your patch it is excellent in this mode as well as the 24p mode. The other added benefit of shooting in HBR30p mode is that the local stations in my area except Apple ProRes 422HQ @29.97 FPS.

Thanks again and if you have any suggestions for a Steadicam type of device please let me know because I would like to purchase another brand. I would like to ask if you could post a picture of your custom made steadicam so I can look for something similar.

Best Regards

ナナオ

• @bkmcwd

Awesome steadicam footage, especially the backpedaling part near the end! Did you use a vest or was it all handheld? Thanks.

• @Azo

Hi Nanao,

Thanks for your comment! :-)

My friend who was using Glidecam had said that adjustment was difficult. The mechanism in which a gimbal ring cannot be moved up and down seems to be the cause.

This may be the all in one patch that I was looking for from the very beginning.

I am glad if it is true.

• @ bkmcwd

Very nice job on flying, I purchased a Glidecam several years ago and was never able to master it. It takes a lot of practice and patience to master it and it seems that you have mastered this delicate art. The footage looks phenomenal! I don't see any motion blur that I normally see while shooting 24p (High Details and Motion Test) for this type of scenario. This may be the all in one patch that I was looking for from the very beginning.

Thank you or uploading these videos and showcasing what your patches are actually capable of. The (Close Up & High Details Motion Test) are very helpful.

あなたにナナオありがとう

• Valkyrie_444_TZ3_24p_ISO160_flower_sp_qp.JPG
    1295 x 633 - 516K
    Valkyrie_444_TZ3_24p_ISO160_forest_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 633 - 550K
  • @Aashay

What is the reason for suggesting against using Lite for 24p work, If I may ask?

If your request is taken into consideration, I will recommend you Valkyrie 444 Lite or GOLGOP3-13-MAX2.

This is for mainly saving file size. In the scene to which fine details spread on the whole screen, G-MAX2 may do better work. If there is no such scene, 444 Lite may exceed in all.

I think that you need some prior tests. :-)

• @tonohita

Thanks for your good sample! :-)

In the situation like this example, the feature of 444 Lite will greatly be harnessed.

• @bkmcwd.. Since that throws Lite out of the question for me, what would you suggest for this shoot I have coming. It's a 200yr old Mosque on banks of Ganges and I was hoping to get great detailed mural/paintings/sculpture shots but not get intra like file sizes as well. What is the reason for suggesting against using Lite for 24p work, If I may ask?

• another HBR 25p test I did using valkyrie 444 TZ3, this time I used reverse lens to shot macro mode. i used rokkor 50mm f1.4 at f2.8, SS is set at 1/50 and at ISO 800. tq @bkmcd

• IMO, 24p of the Lite version may not be suitable for detailed shot, although TZ2 or TZ3 are suitable.

Valkyrie_444_Lite_BETA_24p_ISO160_flower_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 633 - 538K
    Valkyrie_444_Lite_BETA_24p_ISO160_forest_sp_qp.JPG
    1296 x 633 - 565K
  • seth.ini.zip
  • @coors

Lovely horse! :-)

Can you upload this modified ini file?

• @giulix

Interesting. :-)

Which setting are you using?

• @bkmcwd Dechecking the 1080 modes brought undesired side effects, noise and slight rolling shutter jello, so I tried changing the 1080i GOP length parameters to match those of the 720p GOP lengths. Here is a 720p_50 test shot of GOLGOP3-13-Max with 1080_50i GOP length set to 6GOP:

In my opinion, I've never had such rock solid 720p from GF2 before this.

• @towi

Many thanks for your kind words and detailed feedbacks, mate! :-)

I only wish you could modify the matrix to assign a bit more power to B-frames and leave off Top/Bottom bitrate settings (Nebula and DREWnet style... so to say).

About B-frames, although I am going to adjust on GOP tables, do I need to tweak a matrix?

Furthermore, would you explain to me, since I do not understand the merit which leaves off Top/Bottom bitrate settings? Although I tried Trial5, I was not able to feel a merit.

Furthermore, would you explain to me, since I do not understand the merit when Top/Bottom bitrate settings are left off?

My GH3 still maintains in my camera case until Vitaly hacked the firmware...

I am also exactly the same. ;-)

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters