Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • Don't know about live swapping lenses, but you can set up your time code in such a way that you can maintain a continuous time record which should take care of the problem.

• Looking for some help here. Anybody know if there is a way round swapping out lenses on the GH3 and keeping it recording to keep multiple cameras in sync? Am I right in saying that panasonic branded lenses or any other ones that make electrical contact will not allow this?

Every time the lens is taken off the camera stops recording.

• Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I was wondering if anyone has cut together GH3 Footage, or maybe GH2, with the Canon C100. Is it possible to get them to match successfully?

• Probably you aren't in the 90% of the users... its ok.

• @WalterH

Good idea to post this links :-)

• come on Vitaliy …. there is no need to apologize for them.

They know they are wrong, but i am not sure if they WANT to do something about it. If they say " 90% of people ask for FP " , they SHOULD add it ….at least with a firmware update.

If they don't , they simply ignore what "90% of their customer wants "!

• there is no excuse for this.... GH3 is a very high end machine ! And it SHOULD have this feature.

No one should do anything for you. It is how life works. Bunch of compromisses.

• there is no excuse for this.... GH3 is a very high end machine ! And it SHOULD have this feature.

I dont want an external monitor for this simple thing.

• This excuse is such bullshit... three-year-old Canon's and Sony's priced at half the GH3's MSRP (and even less now) can run peaking (and zebras at the same time on the Canons), but the GH3 can't?

It is not. It is absolutely normal excuse. Despite it we could see fuch firmware update. As it is highly competitive market, so it can be truth or half truth.

• This excuse is such bullshit... three-year-old Canon's and Sony's priced at half the GH3's MSRP (and even less now) can run peaking (and zebras at the same time on the Canons), but the GH3 can't?

Not everyone has the money/space/time when shooting to use a monitor. Particularly those who went with m4/3 for space/weight and cost reasons.

• @HillTop1

It is not really a problem, as all good hi res monitor offer peaking and zebra.

• Damn, was hoping that they add focus peaking, guess it's time to start putting money together for a monitor.

• 'Focus peaking and zebra pattern. More than 90% of the requests we're getting are for these features. We haven't been able to offer it - because of the limits of resources and of the Venus Engine processor. Because it is not included in the Venus Engine, focus peaking is very hard to introduce - anything we added in software would be very different.'

Via Panasonic interview at http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1806874590/cp-2013-panasonic-interview

• Hi everyone :)

My first post - I am absolutely new to all things Panasonic, and I'm making the jump over to Panasonic DSLR from Canon DSLR. I have my sights set on purchasing the GH3 in the next few days, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out with two questions I have;

Is there a "flat profile" like the Techicolor Cinestyle profile that is available on Canon DSLR cameras? If not, is there a custom profile that you guys use to give your image a flat look which maximises the camera's dynamic-range?

I live in Australia and so will be buying the PAL GH3 - the maximum frame-rate possible in 1080P is 50FPS - however, I have been told there is an option that does 60FPS at 1080P on PAL models, but conforms it in a 24P wrapper? Is this correct? If so, does anyone know what bitrate the video is when this option is used?

Thanks in advance to any replies, much appreciated :)

• @Henry Could be that, or it could be insufficient bandwidth or processing power, or more likely a combination of the three. But we can hope!

• Sold my GH2. I really liked that camera! Now I thinking to buy a GH3 or BMCC, don't know yet for shure

• Continuous wi-fi connectivity during video will be a battery killer – I'm sure that factored into why that feature was left out of the app.

• @crisvpl The lumix app has basically has no functionality for video, save hitting the start button. You can't even stop the recording via the app. I really hope Panasonic (or vk) can find a way to give the app the same control in video that it has for stills. That would be brilliant for pulling focus, adjusting exposure, etc., without any worry about camera shake.

• GoPro Hero3 Black edition has preview on smartphone during video recording, but only with the latest version of Android. GH3 video preview is still not posible?

• yes , you are right ! the right setting to choose, is Touch settings>Touch Pad AF !

The other settings are for AF ON back button focus .

• I don't think the monitor AF function has anything to do with the AF/AE lock button, unless there's a firmware bug. The setting is found on p.7 of the custom menu: Touch settings>Touch Pad AF.

• I thought the feature was already available in G5. Yes Gh3, too.

• Great find! Pity it does not work on GH2 :( PS Do you turn EVF ON by EVF/LCD button next to viewfinder?

• i just found something interesting for photos and videos . if you go into custom menu - set AF/AE lock to AF-ON and Shutter AF OFF , something magic hapenned!

Turn EVF ON , put your eye on , then LCD monitor closes BUT it doesn't deactivated! What this means is, you can view your image via EVF and with your right thump you can change your focus point while you are shooting while you are drag it in the monitor. Try it, its very impressive….