Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • have gh3 problems banding in sky??? my gh2 a lot of i dont like

• When in doubt, read the instructions.

If worse comes to worst, follow them.

• Some shots I did at Tivoli Copenhagen. No tripod, just to get use to the camera and test for daily work. Like it very much to work with. Its fast.

• Here i found one more ...

• Great looking video! It has that nice vintage look to it in several parts. I'm also a fan of Voigtlander 25mm + GH3 combo.

• i found this great video done with GH3

• Is there an official panasonic site for firmware bug feedback? The mic level display disappears when one pushes AF/AE lock.

• @crisvpl

I think it is yout second post on the subject in two days, just use general GH3 topic, not this one.

• so, nobody write about anamorphic... i am quite sad... Two years ago, I wrote on dvxuser/AF100 about the possibility of zooming trought the size of the sensor, but, the same, no answer. Today, we have this option even on smartphone!!! Some cameras have it too. G5 and GH3 have a zoom roker, but this function not! Not yet! It is EX, but nobody wants zooming?!... So, I ask you for an answer about the posibility of shooting anamorphic (1920/800 if you wnat 2.4 aspect ratio) directily in camera. It will be the better at the easiest way... No adapters, no more work in post, less pixels to process=more room for codec. I tried with ptool for GH2, but it was only for mjpeg, and the resul has not the natural proportions. So, what do you have to say about this guys?

• Sunrise in my local park this morning although there turned out to be a distinct lack of sun! I know it's not perfect and I struggled keeping the look consistent as it got more saturated if not brighter, still learning!, but I am loving the GH3 there was so little light started off mainly at f2.8 ISO800 to get 1/50 and I was still happy with the results. Interesting that it gets compared to the other DLSR etc. cameras, for me coming from handy cam looking to move to next level with interchangeable lenses and bigger sensor, it was between this and sony VG30 from a price point for me. So glad I went with the GH3..

• @Swiss_Boy 25p mov straight import into fcpx without problems.

• @leonbeas It was a very enjoyable shoot. The ISO never went above 400 on that shoot. I kept it at 200 for most of it. The Helios is a bit soft at F/2.0. The Nikon is pretty decent but F/2.8 was pushing it in that setting sun. I watched my histogram squish to the one edge and I eventually stopped shooting because of it. I didn't want to go up to ISO 800. I feel that shooting at that sensitivity can sometimes give an undesirable image. Especially when dealing with a lot of shadows. I prefer those blacks to be inky instead of fuzzy. I really feel the GH3 has some great strengths in this area.
    The only time I've noticed banding was during my last shoot "About," I didn't include the footage in the actual video though. It was a shot of a plane against the blue sky. It really was a very good range in the original footage but Premiere's compression brought it out. I refused to put up on Vimeo because I didn't want to give people the wrong idea about the camera. I'll attach a screen grab of the original footage. I only did a subtle luma curve correction on the last shot in "Set." Other than that, I did a small warp stabilizer on the 8th shot to get rid of a shake. That was it, no other correction was done. Mostly original footage. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Original.png
    1512 x 847 - 1015K
  • Thanks, @Kairutan indeed, even viewed from vimeo compression, it is very usable. Just to get me out of doubts, this lenses you used are a little soft in fast aperture? And what iso did you use it shows little noise in dark areas, may I guess iso 800?

Beside that it really shows some dynamic range increase maybe almost 2 stops, and I didn't saw absolutely no banding, did you notice any in original footage? I just love how GH3 resolve colours even if you graded it, it shows much more precision.

Thanks again

• @leonbeas 60p is very usable.

• @shian ok thanks for your response and the video series that you did with your partner they were really useful. That's great if you didn't notice any difference cause i wanna skip the 5dtorgb conversion part cause it's taking a lot of time. Sir @driftwood when using 25p in mov mode do you import the footage straight from the camera into fcpx or do you have to convert them first?

• Hi all, I've read all the opinions, and I understand that the GH3 is definitely the best option for video in the price range, BMDCC is amazing but you will need time and dedication to get the camera to shoot, and the workflow is a headache as of today. So for run and gun in fast situations is a no go, for now at least. So I'm buying the GH3 but I feel a little insecure because, of the reviews saying 72mb/s as compression artefacts, and that the noise is not good in the shadows, and so on. My question is, you guys that are using the camera today, testing and knowing it, what do you thing?

Is it reliable in skin tones, does the 60p get lower quality (is it usable)? How about fluidity in panning and hand held? Does the wobble effect got any better than GH2? Is the autofocus usable in real world situations like a wedding, run and gun documentary? Also heard that the camera freezes in some situations, does it happen to you? Any drop frame, or unreliable issue when recording for long time? And do you advise buying it?

I believe some of this things can be fixed by Bios updates, which ones?

Is it possible/feasible to Hack the GH3 Vitaliy? If so, can you speculate what features could be activated/enabled. And how much time would you take to do your "magic".

THANKS ALL GUYS Happy new year.

• Could very well be.. no issues indoors for me. Well, the EVF stills looks a bit strange but.. not like outdoors.

Mind, it wasn´t extremely cold.. (for this part of the world) about -10 degrees celsius, perhaps less.

• @RRRR strange ... I don't see any artifacts on the monitor or EVF. But I'm in Miami ... maybe it is a cold weather thing?

• First day of gh3 test run.. and straight off I think the footage looks good, but the oled and the viewfinder horrendous, at least in cold conditions.. Lots of artifacting going on in the screen, making it hard to even focus and the viewfinder issues are just as reported.. Soft, but not only soft - it also had artifacting going on.

• @swiss boy i used it to convert the AVCHD GH3 footage, as well as just straight FCP just to see if there would be any difference. I really didn't see any.

As for 25p, I never use it, so we didn't test it. You'll have to ask @driftwood - or wait to see his tests.

• @Mckinise ~Any M4/3 lens will work with the GH3. It has the same active mount as the GH2, just a slightly smaller sensor.

• I currently own a GH2. I am thinking of getting a GH3. Until I get some better glass for it, can it be used with the GH2's 14-42 lens?

If so, has anyone tested or tried it with said lens?

• On thath comparison picture posted by Alex it looks that GH3 has more natural colors. Finally :)