Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • @sid safe as houses so far.

• also do you always have to have a lumix lense attached to the camera when installing a patch?

• newbie question

i really like the result examples i'am seeing with the gh2 hack and patches

and wonder how these guys don't have jobs at panasonic for getting that out the camera...

but need to know.... can the camera handle running at this high bit rate ok

GOP1 intra bad for the camera.... will things burn out and fail?

i've read their well tested..... but i can't afford to buy another gh2 anytime soon!

and what sort of computer spec do you need to edit intra gop 1 footage?

thanks

• Hey gang. Can't find am answer by reading.

Firmware won't flash onto my gh2. I did it once and it worked, bbut then the screen wouldn't work, so I flashed it back to original firmware. Tried to flash hacked firmware on, and now it won't load onto camera. Just says no picture to view etc.

-tried changing sequence to 2, and even 3. -batt is fully charged -using the right Sandisk card -followed instructions meticulously Re-downloaded latest ptool and firmware. Tried like 20 times...

Frustrated!!!

What happens if you touch something while firmware is loading? I did close the monitor while it was loading firmware. Could that have ruined it somehow?

Any ideas?

Update- solved it! Tried using a different sd card, and it worked! Expensive 95 mbps card apparently doesnt work for it, cheapo card was able to update firmware.

Who knows? It worked though.

• I cant switch between 50p and 60p ?

If i go to setup and choose for video out nstc. The camera say's "cannot record file number exceed limit". So i change the language to Engels, what give the same result.

• @Driftwood

Hello! Thank you for awesome work!

I was wondering this... I have browsed thru lots of topics and post around here about your GH2 hacks, and notices that patch with highest bitrate seems to be Driftwood 244M patch, but at the moment people are testing your newest Quantum v2-7 patches, which apparently have much lower bitrates. I guess that "perceptual image quality" is not all about bitrate but about many more encoding parameters too in this case. So my question is, that does these new Quantum- patches provide better perceptual image quality than the 244-patch?

ps. recap about patch- history would be nice ;)

• How to add notes to Patches I download? Many of them come with no notes or just a hint. Hard to tell them apart. -> Or is there another way to find out what's inside a patch?

• @onthejazz Glad it helped. :)
  • Excellent it worked, thanks for your comprehensive advice.
  • @onthejazz (Edit: Just read your last comment. Ignore the initial paragraphs and skip to the steps, but they may help others).

The newest version of PTool is up at https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software under "Firmware manipulation tool
    Download link - https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software"

Once you start the program, here's a step by step (that pre-supposes you've done a few things already but explains what those things are) for PTool version 3.63d.

1) Click "load firmware" and select the version 1.0 firmware ("GH2__V10.bin") you downloaded earlier.
    2) Hold down "CTRL" and click on any letter from A to J.
    3) Find and select the zip file for the patch you want to load (in your case "CBrandin's 66M AQ2").
    4) Click on the letter you just selected. A small text box saying "settings loaded" should briefly pop-up over the letter you selected.
    5) Click "save firmware" and name the file "GH2__V11.bin" (you can change the last digit from "1" to any value you want).
    6) Copy this new .bin file you saved to the memory card, make sure you have a fully charged battery and then insert the memory card into your GH2.
    7) Turn on your GH2 and hit the play button.
    8) Select the option to update firmware.
  • sorry I meant 3.63 I have the latest version.
  • @onthejazz Patch loading is easier in PTools 3.63d, so I would suggest downloading that first and seeing if you have an easier time.
  • I can't seem to load patches into ptools 3.62. I downloaded the patch "cbrandin's 66M AQ2" into the same folder as ptools and GH2__V10.bin. I then loaded the firmware in ptools but the values of the patch don't seem to be entered automatically into ptools. What am I doing wrong. Thanks
  • this is a video that i captured...is there everything normal? i have seen so much driftwood hacked videos whos look like film...but mine looked like a cheap camcorder...

• Hey,
    i'm a New User of the gh2. I have two questions :

When i Set the Iso in 24 Cinema Mode to Maybe 640, the Camera says me during the Record "autoiso" is this normal?

And my Second question is about Correct exposure, should i Film through the searcher or with the LCD? and how can i judge the right exposure? in my Tests the LCD picture was fine but the final file was very underexposed!

Thx for your help ;)
  • Using the original firmware, I'm noticing (sometimes very severe) exposure differences between video modes and the 40 fps electronic shutter SH stills burst mode. I wasn't sure if it had been covered elsewhere (had trouble finding a good search string), so I'm posting it here first.

The images below were all shot with the same lens, aperture and (according to the EXIF data) exposure time, with the Driftwood Quantum V5 Beta loaded.

- SH model upscaled to 1920x1080
    - 24H
    - 40 fps burst mode

What's happening with the burst mode and how do I fix it (if it can be fixed)?
    Quantum V5 SH upscaled with lanc3 aka sinc 0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Quantum V5 24H 0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    40fps SH burst mode JPEG _2360357.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 573K
  • @ Balazer is 66 considered a lower bit rate hack? 44 for sure?
  • @clarkpnoy
    "I just need to get a setup on GH2 that will match my 35mm Rokinon on my 5D. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks "
    I think you should continue that type of questions in this forum instead of the one were we started.

I guess you should look at Voigtländer Nokton 0,95/25 mm MFT. The Pana pankake 20mm/1.7 is not a bad choise.
  • @ Balazer - Thanks. I've been putting off on reading the manual. I'll start on that now and come back after that. :)
  • @blazer003, those hack names are non-standard. Don't give them much thought.

@fbernar, the FAQ means what it says. That's why I wrote it. ;) The SanDisk 45 MB/sec cards are not recommended cards, but they'll probably be good enough for Aquamotion or any lower bit rate hacks. In the FAQ I describe Aquamotion as very high quality. Read the GH2 manual for a description of Variable Movie Mode.

@TekPneumaN, Vitaliy has said before that different aspect ratios are not possible. The sensor hardware is probably hard-wired to output certain video formats. You can always crop to 3:2 in post processing.
  • I was wondering if there is a hack that allows you to shoot 3:2 at 24H on the GH2?
    If not, is it impossible and why?
  • Yup, just their name with an @ before it.
  • Nope, didn't work. Please help. Feeling stoopid.
    Crap, I see, looks like you just use the @ sign and then the userid and that's it?
  • http://www.personal-view.com/talks/profile/jonathan_p
    Couldn't find anywhere else to post this. Definately qualifies as a beginner question though.
    Trying to figure out how to embed someone's userid in the @someone format. Used my own at the beginning of this message to see if it works to just copy and paste it.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions