Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beginners: Basic hacks questions
  • 1012 Replies sorted by
  • Just to elaborate on this, once I unzipped the files from the patch vault all I'm getting is serb.ini file-any help much appreciated.
  • @bobsomebody

You don't need to unzip them :-)
  • Just load that directly downloaded file into Ptools?.....Trying now...
  • How about try to read something?
    Just click on round button, select settings you downloaded, and it'll import settings.
  • Vitaliy, with all due respect that is what I am doing. When I click the 'load firmware' button in PTools my file browser doesn't show the downloaded file. I am having problems with it, and it is obviously a simple question that I can't seem to get to work-the reason I am posting in the Basic and beginners questions thread.
  • @bobsomebody

This is why I asked to READ SOMETHING.
    Like instructions in PTool topic.
  • Just tried the pTool on the (new) GF-1 body, it seem to be still "unhackable". Anyone was successful with it?
    I Hacked all my GH-1-s so far, did not hack the GH-2, waiting for the December Panasonic firmware update being hacked.
  • Noob question- How do I load the new PTool firmware back onto my GH1? Thanks.
  • 1. You make sure your battery is fully charged.
    2. You put the firmware file in the root of the SD card.
    3. You insert the card, switch the camera on and press the "play" key.
    4. The firmware update question appears (or not. On GH-1 it appears, on my GF-1 it does NOT) and you proceed.
  • Good to know if that worked. For some unknown reason my GF-1 S/N FV0JC001007 does not want to play by the rules. Not a huge deal as it is not the main camera but would be nice. It's a snow-white "cutie" and her job is to look ridiculous and distractive so people do not suspect, it's a serious camera, not just a silly toy. And thives avoiding it for her look. To bad, they did not made GF-1 in pinkish panty color, with yellow polka dots. That would be my top wish. I did read a blog of a traveler who tracked in Nepal and people DID SMILE straight into his GF-1 because "it does not look like a real camera, just a toy". That's what it is for!
  • However, every time I take out a 5D (older, not MKII BTW) out of my bag, all the attention is at that thing and everyone looks very serious.
  • I understand that Psf is truly progressive video which has simply been “disguised” as interlaced video, but how do i get to that progressive video?

And what are some alternitives to StreamParser on the mac? MediaInfo deosnt give info like i-Frames.
  • @THEOJO StreamParser works fantastic on a Mac on virtual PC...
  • I understand that Psf is truly progressive video which has simply been “disguised” as interlaced video, but how do i get to that progressive video?

And what are some alternitives to StreamParser on the mac? Media deosnt seem to display info like i-Frames.
  • @Driftwood, yeah Japan is great. I am in west Tokyo, but have visited Kyoto, Odwara, the Emperors house (still tokyo I know) and a bunch of other places which names I've forgotten. Having the GH2 in Japan now makes it very easy to take eye popping pics and videos. Below is case and point. I believe I was in mid stride when I snapped this. I am no professional, and this could use a bit of cropping, but I like it.
    P1060108.JPG
    2336 x 1752 - 3M
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"This is why I asked to READ SOMETHING.
    Like instructions in PTool topic."

I have read time and time again, the problem it seems is once I have the patches from the patches vault, PTools won't load them-it states they are already a patched file. The downloaded patches have long names e.g.: 3f96361537aa4d43754a6a157bc01c-should I then just rename as described in instructions and drop to my SD card? Still very unclear-maybe I am just brain dead.
  • @bobsomebody
    You have to first load the original firmware, which I believe is named something like GH2__V10.bin , Also, the patches should be named something like "seta.ini" or "setb.ini" That long name you have present is the name for the zip file. You have to unzip the file, take the "set.ini" file out of there and put it in the same folder you have PTool. Then in the Ptool program you will be able to just click on one of the letter buttons at the bottom to load the settings. If you dont want to use a patch that has been created for you, you can use your own settings, then when saving the patch, save it to something like GH2__V11.bin. As Vitaliy said, just read. This has been covered plenty of time before.
  • Hello, all. I'm a noob when it comes to the GH2 hack, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I also posted this on DVXuser but I'm hoping somebody here can chime in.

I want to try out the GH2 hack in order to shoot the best quality footage available from this camera (at the moment that's the Seaquake patch by Driftwood) for narrative filmmaking. However, I also frequently have to shoot long-form events where being able to shoot 3+ hours in a single take is essential. I do this now very well with the stock GH2 24Mbps 1080p @ 24fps and a 32GB SD card.

Is there a way to have both modes on the camera at the same time? I mean, one of the custom scene files be set to the Seaquake settings and another to the stock settings for long-form recording? That way I can switch between the two modes easily without having to re-flash the firmware. Is this even possible?

Thanks for any help!
  • So, I can't set the 24H to the super-high bitrate and have the 24L be the low bitrate? I'd have to re-flash the firmware every time I want to change the bitrate?
  • that does seem to be the case jamie. The recommendation I read is to always have an extra fully charged battery for doing this, since death of a battery during an update means death of your camera.
  • @Driftwood, Sorry to keep bugging you man or woman, I just got out of an annoying long chat with Sandisk, and they are claiming I need to benchmark my card before returning it. This seems a bit stupid, but my basic question is does it matter if I tell them I have a hacked camera. I did not mention this just cause it seemed the path of least resistance, but if it comes up that a GH2 doesn't write at more than 20mbps, I am just wondering what to say. Anyways PITA Sandisk support. I am thinking my next card is coming from elsewhere.
  • @jaimevalles
    From my knowledge this is true. You need to reflash if you want to use stock settings. As mee said, keep an extra fully charged battery if you plan on doing this. To my knowledge, 24H and 24L settings have related settings, and you can't change one drastically without also changing the other. Therfore, in order to get the settings for 24H in SeAQuake, Driftwood had to alter the settings for 24L too.
  • OK. Thanks for the info. I'll keep two separate SD cards with the different hacks on them, and make sure I have full batteries available before I begin.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions