Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Smaller Cameras can Make Do with 3x3 Matte Boxes
  • Cavision 3x3" Matte Box with Top and Side Flags $208

(At a pinch, a single 4.5" x 6" glass ND filter can be cut into two stackable 3" filters !!) image

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/868189-REG/Cavision_mb3485s_3x3_Matte_Box_with.html

http://cavision.biz/3x3matteboxesset.aspx

• 77 Replies sorted by
  • Anyone try this with olympus 9-18?

• Sock under camera is actually filled with Soup Mix (barley & other grains) - works well with this weight and rig size.

CavisionMB.jpg
    640 x 480 - 52K
  • @DouglasHorn

you could make do just as well with screw on filters and a french flag

Not to be sneezed at, it's true! But this is a learn-your-equipment-by-heart thing, which might merge into a lifestyle thing, being fast and comfortable with what's easy and appropriate.

For example, think Friend's Wedding Reception, Hawaii. You're there, champagne flute in one hand, chatting to buddies, your GH.x with its tiny mattebox on a monopod on the other hand. Occasionally, moving around the lawn, you might slip the ND filter back into the shirt pocket of your Hawaiian shirt, change filters and get some footage, all with discretion, keeping up the conversation and eye contact, once again taking your glass from a table to drink a toast....

Meanwhile, it's Sunday and I'm off on my bicycle to the street markets with GH2, mattebox and a sockful of rice for tabletop shooting.

• @QuickHitRecord

I'm interested to know hoe this Cavision rails rig has panned out for you -

Do you find you use the rails always, or sometimes just pack the matte box? Have you added the nun's knickers?

I personally find I often pack just the camera and would sometimes prefer a tiny (read:minuscule ) hood just to cut flare, just for ease of travel. I wonder whether the 8mm rails (yes, 8mm) would turn my M/B into something more useful while not too much bigger.

• On the subject of "Making do" with a 3x3 matte box. I would say 99.5% of the time, you could make do just as well with screw on filters and a french flag to stop flare. It just wouldn't look quite as cool. But a lot more affordable and just as practical.

• I have been very busy lately, but just wanted to update that I received the donut adapter, and it fits like a glove with the clamp loosened a bit, and then just a slight tightening and it is very secure. Looks great too with it's leather sleeve (pretty sure it is real leather ) and snugs very nicely around the lens barrel. Still planning on posting a review, just may not be for a bit.

• Just a quick update. I received this Last a little over a week ago, to Japan just 3 days after purchase from B&H! Other than a few minor issues like loose screws, and the slightly bigger issue of a couple screws that did not match the ones in pics online which caused problems with moving the flags inward correctly (easily remedied), this little matte box is working nicely. It is so light, but is holding up fine. I will post a video review showing parts of the unboxing and the problems I encountered along with the remedies in the near future. Busy busy right now.

• OK, well never mind, I bought the matte box with one of the cavision rail systems with the matte box mount, as well as the donut adapter (nun kicker thingy). I expect everything except the donut within a week, and will give my thoughts shortly after. It's my first matte box, and rail system though, so take it for what it is.

• Anyone using this matte box with a Nokton 17.5mm lens? My concern is if this matte box interferes with the aperture of the Nokton which is very close to the end of the lens. I had a foot injury last year, and now a knee injury, so keeping things light is great in theory, but I also want something that works with the 17.5mm because it is on my camera 99% of the time. I also intend to use it with a TrustMT follow focus. Not sure if this is relevant.

• Cavision has released their version of Nuns Knickers for Matte box. Only $20 http://cavision.biz/adu085-d45.aspx

• @goanna Sounds like the Cavision ND is pretty good. I think I remember seeing them priced pretty reasonably too. Assuming cost isn't an issue, are there any other 3x3 ND filters that will give an even better result in terms of no image quality loss or resolution loss?
    (That's a cool solution with the 77-82 permanent adapter and then prepping lenses to fit to matte box. I'll probably go with rails, as the 3 lenses I usually use each have an obstacle to that solution.) Thanks

• To fit the mattebox's 82mm rim, I have permanently fitted a wide Cavision 77mm-82mm adapter. The default filter size for each of my lenses thus becomes 77mm and each lens has its own step up adapter; 37-77, 49.5-77, etc, permanently attached and at the ready to be fitted to the mattebox.

• @Matt_GH2

I am happy with my Cavision 0.6 ND and 0.6 graduated ND. Less of the hue & fog of the cheaper ones. No Pol Circular.

• @goanna @QuickHitRecord I will probably be getting the Cavision 3x3 Matte Box and 8mm rail system. I was wondering what you liked in terms of good quality 3x3 ND filters and 3x3 Circular Polarizers (or Linear - I only shoot manual)?

• I have an update. I have replaced the swing away with a "slider base with support mount" from Lock Circle: http://www.lockcircle.com/matbox/buy/ (second item)

It is the only system that I know of that allows for the mattebox to slide back and forth on the rod system as lenses extend during focusing. The Cavision T-bracket fits inside the groove cut into the slider base. With long enough rods, it is easy to slide the matte box forward when changing out lenses, making it just as convenient as a swing-away. I keep an M10-1.5 bolt screwed into the end of one rod to stop the matte box from sliding off.

As a bonus, I have discovered that with a Duclos focus ring of a certain depth installed at a certain point on my SLR Magic 12mm's focus ring, I should be able to get my Edelkrone FocusOne Pro follow focus AND my 3x3 Cavision mattebox to work together with my GH2 with no vignetting. I'll be sending the lens in for that modification soon.

• @QuickHitRecord - Thanks for the info, I'll check them out.

• @arknox

I also use Nikkor AIS lenses. Consider looking into a conical step ring like this attached image. They are designed to adapt the front filter thread of your lens to the threadless inner diameter of your matte box, but they push the matte box further away from the camera (the cone shape helps prevent vignetting) so that you have space for a follow focus.

CIARC8558D40.png
    300 x 300 - 50K
  • Not sure if this is the place for this, the topic is about small 3x3 matte box, but this is related as it's about using small lenses with matte boxes.

I use Nikon AIS primes which are quite small lenses. I'm looking for a matte box and I've noticed that this may be a problem with small lenses. I'm using the Lanparte rig and follow focus.

Just wondering what anyone's experiences are using small lenses with a follow focus and matte box, is this problematic? Does anyone top rail mount their follow focus or matte box if there is not space to put both on the bottom rail?

Any pointers as to using smaller lenses with FF and MB?

Thanks

• @Sangye

Not enough room for comfortable handling of focus ring

Which brings me back to the philosophy idea of travelling light and the mini M/Box being really at its best with auto/semi-auto lenses. I use the 3x2 with pancakes a lot. While I can hardly get one finger into the focus ring, the wide lenses stay in focus while there's light and a quick touch on the LCD screen does the rest.

• I've never had much luck with matte boxes on wide angle pancakes, anyway. Not enough room for comfortable handling of focus ring, either directly or via a follow focus..

• @QuickHitRecord

Of course. Or even a good quick-release.

imageimage

• @Meierhans For a wide angle pancake, you could just use a T-bracket.

• Its a pitty that they constructed the swing away that way. It wont work with wide angle pancakes, even without FF attached...

• @QuickHitRecord, thanks appreciate it.

• @HillTop1 The mattebox itself was $208 on B&H. From Cavision, the swing away was $60. Metal filter holders were $30 each. The specialized step up ring was $35 and shipping was $16.