Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • That would be awesome.

• I shoot very bumpy and never quite finish! Camera arrived so going to get myself to do dull stuff before having my Xmas!

• Hehe.. well, I can send the Resolve LUT´s once they are done.. though I reckon there will be some differences depending on the settings used in-cam (gh2). I personally only shoot smooth -2 all the way.

• Cool. Well I know enough to know I should ask how those LUTs work! Not done any proper grading before, just the simple push and pull in FCPX. Off to get my BMCC now! That under water stuff was neat. I know the 'I do everything' scenario too well, been running 3 cameras and sound on my own when trying to focus on directing performance! Could join the Chinese State Circus now.

• It´s 720p only. I wanted a little leverage since it´s my first work with animation involved and because the water scenes (above and under) were not easily controlled! (some shots required a bit of re-framing) :)

For instance I was heavily under-staffed for the shots for the ending, could not get b/c photographers so I shot multiple cams and had the producer to shoot one cam with guidelines about what to do. Still the swimmers had to do the same thing 4-5 times (the singer just a couple of times).. :)

Yeah, the gh2 looks great! I´m going to do some serious LUT´s (daylight and tungsten balanced) to be able to quickly match the gh2, bmd and fs700 (in resolve and premiere / ae)

Texture is not so radically different that it can´t be done.

• @RRRR Jesus, she must have been freezing! They all must! Thanks for that, how did you compress it, toggling HD didn't seem to make any difference. Took a look at your rabbit hole, that ice and water stuff was just gorgeous, who needs anything other than a GH2 really!

• @belfryman hacked gh2 works like a charm alongside bmcc in most conditions. Can be difficult to match in sunny weather though as the differences in DR become apparent. However, it also means you have to correct the bmcc towards the gh2 in general and not the other way around.

Here´s a production where I used both cams:

(you can DL the original upload if you want to) In this instance I went for a s16 look which is a bit forgiving but there was a huge discrepancy in-between lighting conditions for the daylight exteriors. (also in-between cameras)

• Sorry if this has been asked before but has anyone used a hacked GH2 as B cam to BMCC? I'm wondering if I can get away with it then can cancel the BMPCC I have on order which is currently not looking so hot - though I suspect the poor footage is more to do with how it's been used than the thing itself.

• @Brian202020 - I like the GX7, too. However, if there a client standing there, I would be laughed off the premises if I were to pull out something resembling a point and shoot.

• Not sure if I've seen this here but if it's a double post then...shame on me. Have you guys and girls ever seen the resolution comparison between the Canon C500, BMCC, F55 and Red Scarlet? I was getting concerned and tired of seeing all of the sub par videos coming from the BMCC until I looked at the following resolution comparison. I can't believe how bad the F55 did for a camera in its price range vs the others.

The BMCC actually did pretty good.

Also, there is a new mosaic filter coming out for the BMCC. Looks pretty good.

(NO MORE MOIRE)

• @sammy

I plan to get the GX7 with hopes it'll be hacked at some point. It's a great stills camera that will do 1080 60p like the GH3 when I must have it, and it will share the same lenses as my BMCC MFT and my BMPCC. I like the specs and size better than the GH3 personally. Plus to me the images and video I've seen so far look better than anything I've seen from the GH3.

• @kholi There's a very budget conscious decision! :)

• @sammy - Phantom Miro as of a few weeks ago =3

• @sammy - My plan is to get a GH3. I need to sell some gear first and get a beefier tripod before I worry over 60p.

• @sammy

Well... if you're on this forum, you probably already have a snazzy Gh2 that does solid 60p with the hack... that's what I'd use :)

...in which case, you'd just have to be better about properly lighting the GH2 to match the BMCC (so I know I'd have a lot of trouble with it, haha)

• Guys what cam you using for 60p slow mo shots to cut with the BMCC for mainly internet/youtube work

• ha yeah, that or another BMCC? hmm.

• http://www.zgc.com/t/techinfo/mtf-effect-control-unit.html

EF to dumb MFT now with IS support. Looks like $1200 with your choice of base mount. At least there is an IS option for Canon EF on any MFT mount now

edit: nevermind $1500. cut that in half and they'd actually sell a few

• Got my MFT BMCC yesterday and its great. I have a speedbooster on the way now, I actually did try the Light Cannon for a minute and it was pretty horrifying compared to even using it with the GH2.

I hope the new 18-35 1.8 looks good with the speed booster, that combo with 1.3x anamorphic would be pretty perfect.

• Hmm not that I'm unhappy, but that it takes a lot of effort that one could otherwise dedicate to maintaining composition (handheld), pulling focus, watching the frame for weird things etc.

As in, it would be ONE less thing to worry about.

• @kholi Are you not happy with the results from handheld work on the MFT version?

• I'm likely getting one, the 18-35/1.8, but want a NIkon mount.

Also, footage from Roman over on the BMCuser forum has really made me think twice about having an IS lens. I may end up with a 35/2 or a 17-55/2.8 canon as well. =T

• seems like the sigma 18-35 is the new "THE lens" for this camera? Ill have to give it a try regardless.

• @SuperSet I love the Voigtlander 25mm on my BMCC. Works just fine, and gives roughly a 50mm FFE FoV. I did some night shooting last week, and was more than happy with the results.

• Boths deals are sweet. Seems like you are caught between a rock and a hard place :-)

The Switronix battery seems very common in the US, and it's reasonably inexpensive. here in Singapore, some of the guys have hijacked the market. very few would deal with this brand so they jacked up the price. You wouldn't believe how much they are selling it. US$440! You can buy 2 units from B&H for that price. fuckers