Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • @kholi

Unfortunately not. I can see some of them in normal exposure on medium dark and black background. I just updated to 1.4.1 and after restart they got 5 times more. I'll try to capture some frames on a normal 2.5 hdd in order to send it back and get a replacement sooner.

• @Feonn

My EF Camera had them when I first got them, but they either disappeared after a while or did not show up in the footage. It only happens with severe underexposure. Probably fine.

• @kholi @wilbo @vicharris

I just got my bmcc, unfortunately still waiting for the ssds, so no pictures yet. All seemed fine, then I noticed quiet a bit hot pixels (mostly blue and less red) when underexposing or with closed cap. Some of them seem to be fixed, some not. Is this normal? Can you check if you have the same behaviour? I've seem some footage shot in low light and it was fine - dark, but without hot pixels. I've read the topics regarding that, but still will appreciate your experience.

• I bet Sandisk is like "what the heck is going on right now?"

Sudden surge in their 240gb SSD, first version.

• Whelp, I guess I'll buy one. Might as well go with the only approved one and get the first Extreme and not the Extreme II

• @Plasmasmp

Yup, this is what happened to other people's Crucial's. Same thing . After a while it just goes caput.

I think it actually has to do with the SSD firmware and the Controller used. Sandisk 240 looks to have the perfect combo, I've never had to trim or anything like that: I just format in OSX after each offload and keep going.

• I got the no ssd problem today. Seems to be new with the latest firmware? . Has to be the single most frustrating issue I've ever had with a camera. Felt like just punting it out the window.

True it is a Crucial M500 (480GB), but it has more than enough bandwith to record RAW 30p, and I've recorded several hours without an issue up to this point.

I was using my internal hotswap bay for the ssd and the only way I could get the camera to see the ssd again was to buy a USB 3 external adapter and reformat it again. However, now it will see the drive on first power up, record for however long, but if I power it down and restart it no ssd again until it is reformatted.

I'm doing a full manual trim on freshly formatted drive to see if it makes a difference. No format in camera, no audio meters, and no histogram makes this feel like camera software is barely above alpha level.

Great image though!

• Hey guys, check out this pic of my camera with a Computar 12.5mm f1.3 c-mount lens!

It's actually kind of sharp @ f3.5-f4.

Looks cute but somehow makes me feel less as a man. Feel free to kick me out of the Blackmagic club now :)

@kholi - The rusty metal gate, chicken wire, vegetation, and plywood on my BMCC lcd is only a taste of what is to come... this is sad, I know :)

-w

cute1.jpg
    1920 x 1280 - 109K
    cute2.jpg
    1920 x 1280 - 130K
  • @Wilbo

I lol'd at the bushes and cats thing. I dunno, I appreciate pipes, old cars, bushes and trees a lot more these days!

Also, check Amazon for your sandisk, like refresh until you're ready to buy because the prices flux hourly.

• @kholi @johnbrawley @vicharris @belfryman

Okay, I think I have my consensus... sell the Kingston drive and get a couple of Sandisk 240GB Extreme SSDs. Thanks guys!!!

@belfryman - Eventually I will test and compare my BMCC with a juicedlink preamp and oktava mk012 (all I got!) vs. the camera mic. I'm hoping for the best!

@kazuo The Intel SSDs look pretty good but they're a little more expensive than the Sandisks in my rudimentary cost comparison and the Sandisks just seems to have a higher volume to positive reviews. Thanks for welcoming me to the BMCC club :)

Hopefully I get my storage solution settled in the next week. Then I can finally start shooting some bushes and cats :)

-Will

• @johnbrawley

As I said earlier I had dropped frames any time I tried to shoot uncompressed with the Sandisk 240GB in the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 before the Sandisk 240GB was supported. Does that count? or does it have to be the BMCC?

• I had a 480 g issue, but I'm not sure if it was user error on my part. I was able to get everything back thanks to Wondershare Data Recovery for Mac. The wrong drive was accidentally connected to the SSD Dock via FW. That drive was a small G tech that was not hooked up to AC power.

• I've had four sandisk 240's now for over a year and they haven't skipped a beat. No dropped frames ever and I've been using them for in both RAW and ProRes. I think I've only seen one person report a failed 240, probably the same guy Kholi saw.

I have lost OCZ SSD's though.....

jb

• @Feonn

Nope, never no SSD issue, but that might have been a 480gb. The thing is, some people aren't actually formatting their drives right before they post things on forums. Happens. xD

@Wilbo

Really, and this is just me so of course take it or leave it my friend, but I would rather have two 240gbs over one 480gb any day: It's a matter of security, because if you lose that 480gb for any reason then you lose everything on it.

at least with 240s you can A) separate/manage your data and B) offload data while you continue to roll.

This has sorta been the way I've worked with all media, though, so grain of salt!

• Thanks for the help guys!! .My retailer got back to me. Said most of the recommended 480gb drives are outdated models and that my Kingston drive should be even faster than the older recommended drives. I guess I have to decide whether to test it out or sell it new and pick up 1 or 2 SanDisk 240gb drives... Decisions decisions

• 240 Sandisk Extremes working fine for me. ProRes and RAW. Plowing away. I'm sure at some point, at some time, for some reason, every SSD will drop a frame or two, or even go down. It's just the nature of the beast but it's easy to find info on ones that are working for the majority of people. I've even dropped frames with my GH2 and the beloved 64GB 95mbs cards and you can't get better than that for the GH2.

• I'm sure with firmware updates they are fixing compatibility issues. There was a time early on where the 240GB Sandisk wasn't supported for the BMCC or Hyperdeck Shuttle (which the BMCC is based on). I can say I had the 240GB and tried to use it with my Hyperdeck Shuttle back then, and before it was officially supported it dropped frames every time I shot uncompressed. Even tho it wasn't supported at the time, it did work great for DNxHD tho. Anyway there have been firmware updates since people had issues with particular SSD's and there will be more to come, and each one will help with compatibility. I've shot maybe 10TB exclusively on 480GB Sandisk's with my Hyperdeck Shuttle and BMCC without an issues.

• @kholi did you have any "no sad" issue? I read today a topic on the BMD forum regarding that. It happened to a sandisk 240.

I'm waiting for my bmcc to arrive and I've got 2x 240 sandisks, so I hope thats the most safe choice from all ssds.

• Hate to the the bearer of bad news, but I would not go with any other SSD outside of Sandisk 240GB.

There have been reports of Kingstons and Intels failing/dropping frames, and even the Sandisk 480GB failing. But, I think in the year that the camera has been around, one report of a Sandisk 240GB Dropping frames and I believe it was because of a loose hard drive bay from the camera being used so much.

I have 4 240GB Sandisk SSDs, have had at least two of them for about a year and (knocking on wood) haven't had a SINGLE dropped frame, and I've definitely pulled down an excess of say 15TB of footage (non redundant) from the camera.

I guess this information isn't readily available on this forum, but there are some reports elsewhere.

• @Wilbo I'd got for one on the list, it's so hard getting things that are supposed to work to work I wouldn't tkae a chance on anything else! On the +ve side my fan seems to have quietened down, inexplicably, and with rode VMP (which i don't much like) the sound is clean enough so I feel happier. The pictures are great. Watch out for the casing, mine scratched when a feeble magic arm decided to rest itself on there for a bit.

• @Wilbo

Congrats, you finally bit the bullet and got yours. I got Intel 335 and 520 series SSDs, 256GB. Works very well with the camera, and is one of those on the "supported" list. See if you can find them at your stores.

Have you been following the "blooming golfballs" issue in BMPCC footage? Thank God we bailed out from the small guy!

• @berryman I haven't tested out the audio on mine yet... I'm afraid to because...

I just received my camera today with a bundled 480GB Kingston SSDNOW KC300 SSD. On the website, the company notes the hard drive is certified by Blackmagic:

http://www.sharbor.com/products/specials/BMDN5000006.html

But it's not on this list:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/detail/faqs?sid=27541&pid=27542&os=mac

So now I'm afraid to open the SSD plastic packaging because I might find out my SSD drops frames on my camera. Or worse, it might not even work because the drive is 7mm thick with a 2mm thick shim. All certified drives are 9mm thick. I'm worried about the pins of the SSD making solid contact with the connector in the camera.

I emailed the company and am waiting on their response.

Anyone think I should just risk it and bust that SSD out of the package and hope for the best? I was just so excited to finally get my camera today :/

• Is everyone's BMCC audio this bad or is it just mine?

• The amount of fan noise I'm getting with the on board mic is enormous. I don't expect it to be great obviously, but the fan is so loud it's incredible. Is this normal?