Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • Just got the MFT BMCC last night, I tried to use the 14-140mm from panasonic on it, i guess it wont work>? its out of focus on all range of zoom,manual focus did not change anything

• @CFreak I did a 10 day shoot with the BMCC last week, in temperatures above 35 degrees Celsius and for most of the day, the camera was too hot to touch, but it just kept going with no sign of instability.

• saw the cinema cam at BMD day in NYC.

It felt pretty hot. Any heat issues noticed in the field?

The focus peaking worked great, and is fixed as waveform green..

The people on the floor didn't have answers to a lot of questions. But when I asked to plug in my Zoe DVXL lanc controller or my C mount lens w/ MFT adspter they knew the answer was... NO!

They would neither confirm nor deny an active mft version might be coming. But, made it seem like a logical development.

They also screened a video shot at NAB of Grant Petty saying a lossless AND visually lossless (lossy) cinemaDNG codec would be integrated into the firmware for the 4K cam. Afterwards it may be applied to the CC & PC. Not really anything concrete, but, I thought it was good to hear from GP himself, his ideas.

• Hurlbut with some nice skin tests etc....

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2013/08/blackmagic-cinema-camera-tests/

I bailed on the 4k , my MFT will be here probably on Mon. CANNOT wait!

• MAybe I overread it, but is the new de-bayering process for Prores part of a new firmware update or limited to new BMCC's?

• @andyharries I rented a BMCC EF with three lenses, one of which was the 85mm. It was very frustrating that it simply wouldn't focus -- which made my decision to buy the MFT version so much easier. Manual focus with Nikon lenses all the way, baby. (Although I've also been happily using the SLR Magic and Voigtlander lenses too.)

• @LongJohnSilver --- Now that's interesting, that UW housing looks sweet.

I appear to acquired a collection of cameras over the last 3 years, including the BMCC, 5D3 and GH2 (and a bunch of others).

Since the 5D3 raw arrived my BMCC has barely left its flightcase. For me, its the lens incompatibilities that keep the BMCC in the box. In particular I wish the EF85f1.2 would work.

Perhaps I should see if there is some new firmware ....

• Ok, I took some stuff out...

• @bwhitz

Please, keep on topic.

• p.s. anyone using the word noob, probably isn't part of the industry, otherwise they would know that there are many significant professionals using these tools..anyway again, it's just sad.

Well, I was using "noob" to be facetious, but since you brought it up...

Anyone who thinks that EVERYONE in the industry magically knows what they are doing and is infallible... must not be in the industry.

It doesn't matter how many "significant" pros are using what... not everything (and not all people) are measured on an absolute objective level. That was the whole point of my other posts. You have to judge things for yourself.

If you're a pro you should understand that there are other significant reasons one would would use Canons.

Any they are? What? What exactly do pros understand about Canon DSLRs that makes them special?

If you're such a pro, you wouldn't be talking like this, I can bring you my IMDB credits of movies having won Palm d'or, can you :-)

Who cares? You could be Tarintino himself trolling message boards and I'll still tell you the same thing. Does being a "pro" mean you have to adhere to certain ideas?

• @jasonp be careful in your assumptions. I'll see your brag and "mega TV" with BAFTA and Oscar wins and nominations. Maybe you and your words have appeared in top tier industry magazines like American Cinematographer. Maybe not. Mine have. Books too. GFYS.

Also, you're the one mixing camera uses, not me. I could give a flying flip over any stills capability or usage.

• @bwhitz You are totally right, but I've started to keep most of the producers I work with up to speed on current technology (sometimes I just straight up email them links to B&H online shop). I'd like to think that most of the time they trust my opinion. I shoot most of my smaller projects with GH2s, but I had some 'splainin to do the first couple of times I built one up at a bigger gig, but these days, mostly I'm expected to have my hacked GH2 around somewhere nearby, because once they see the footage they know it's no joke. As for the BMCC's, they are under the radar right now because of limited quantities, but I don't think they will be in the dark for long... specs and footage like that speaks for itself... Looks like we'll be using BMCC's (and BMPCC's likely too) on a TV series later this year, which was an easy sell with a cost/quality demonstration.

• Yeah, that's why the industry is using them, you got it

Basically yea... it is just marketing and popularity. They're "good enough" quality, popular, and easy to use. That's it. N00bz can get better results out of the canon's out of the box than with a GH2 and producers only care about "buzz"... as 90% of them are dumb as shit and only "networked" to their positions... you can show them a clip from a GH2 that looks like Red Scarlet... but they'll still rather use a 5D for the next shoot... because the 5D's were out first and they've simply just "heard of a 5D" before. Spend 2 days in LA and it'll all make sense. Do you really need legions of people owning a particular camera to convince you? The Blackmagic cams (although they're only been out for a year) have GOBS more IQ than canon DSLRs... but will they be used as much, even if shipping in full volume? Nope. Probably not. Too intimidating for the n00bz and producers haven't heard of them as much... or at all.

• I know I'm late to the game but just got my BMC in. I've messed with them before but I just have to say it feels good to hold something this solid. Easy menus, free handles and Sony Vegas all for $1999. Guess it's time to sell of on of my GH2's. :)

• @bwhitz

Exactly, the many videos using Canon means nothing else than Canon's mighty marketing power steamrolling over everything else with their army of fanboys mopping up the remains.

• I can bring you about 100 movies each year using a 5D2/3, how many GH2 ones? 1-2?3? Unfortunately I've already owned 3 GH2s, you can cry as loud as you want, but it is what it is.

And I can show you 100 movies last year on 35mm... and maybe 0 or 1 on Imax 65mm. So... 35mm must be superior to Imax? I'm not trying to take sides here, but using the amount of productions that use one camera over another to justify superiority is kind of a non-sequitur. The GH2/3 fans are aware that they are more-or-less the hidden gems of the DSLR world... Canon was simply first out of the gate and has the best marketing. They're just more popular, that's all...

• Black Magic...just give BMCC early adopters a free Pocket Cinema Cam! :)

• It's foolish to refer to a camera being used for hundreds/thousands of studio and independent productions globally as irrelevant. Video on a hacked (and to a lesser extent, an unhacked) GH2 is definitely higher-res/sharper than an unhacked Canon. Each has strengths and weaknesses and both are completely relevant and useful... as is the BMCC. When compared with cameras that were in the sub-$5k range 5 years ago, any single one of those cameras is compeltely freaking amazing... and using them is a heck of a lot better than strapping a 35mm adapter to a Vixia for DOF and lugging around an external recorder to get decent recording quality out of the sucker.

• @jasonp you have to be taking into account ML, otherwise your comment regarding video with no moire is rubbish. ML is the only thing that makes a 5D relevant today and it has a lot of caveats, like anything else. Some people will suck it up and deal with it and others will opt for a more fluid solution.

If you're not talking ML-RAW you're talking about a camera that has been spanked by the GH2 since its release in almost every category but low light. But you can't seriously be talking about shooting a non-hacked 5D, can you? That would be foolish outside industrial or online applications where image quality is more forgiving.

Why even bring up its 8bit 4:2:2 out in a thread about a camera that records 10bit 4:2:2? Personally, it would be difficult for me to ever make myself shoot to ProRes on this camera but let's be real. The FF aesthetic can be achieved even with this camera provided enough ND with one of several Noktor/Nokton lenses. That's the lone feather in the 5D's cap that isn't dependent on ML fixing what Canon screwed up on the camera.

Shooting raw means grading and processing and unfortunately this camera, like early Red, like early Alexa, was marred by people who didn't know how to deal with the footage, releasing flat, poorly graded imagery. But the whole while there have been plenty of examples created by better folks at the wheel in post production who prove operator error does not define the look of any camera.

Troll on.

• The 5d price may depreciate slower but it's technology was already outdated when it left Japan.... I think the most important thing to invest in is glass everything else can be bought rented or borrowed on a shoot by shoot basis.

• bought a used 5D M2 two years ago with for 900,-€ due to unremovable white paint spots on the body from a shoot in industrial ambiance. Sold it last week for 899,-€ Bummer.

5D M3 is a great camera - for stills. Sometimes I use it as a B-Cam for portraits and it works very well for this purpose too.

back to BMD topics .. ;-)

• @BlackLegSanji

"That's because you are not in their shoes. Imagine that you get your bmcc tomorrow for 2k and the price drops to $1000 the next month. I think you'll most likely join the complaining chorus. Btw, I think this is not a good time to invest in professional video camera if you're a hobbyist on a budget. The tech is just moving too fast and your investment depecriates quickly. It's better to get a HDSLR like the 5Dm3 and shoot beautiful videos while observing the technology race in the video scene and waiting for the techs to stabilize."

Getting a 5DmkIII??? That makes no sense at all, as one of those cost much more than a BMPCC and even more than a BMCC!!

I'd say it is clear if a hobbyist wants to get into filming more then they should get a BMPCC/BMCC (if they've already got a bit of experience that is) or get a Panasonic G6/GH3 (or a Nikon D5200/D7100). And not a 5DmkIII!

But I do agree with your overall point, spend a minimal amount as it depreciates quickly then upgrade again the future :-)

• Yes, is a piece of art like most Nauticam housings. Check the Piano keyboard on some Canon models.

Rumors say that a BMPCC housing will be released soon.

• Amazing they were able to get this rig to work with the touch screen. It seems like the pocket camera will be more practical for diving from a size, ergo and simplicity standpoint. It's so small and simple to design access to the controls, I wouldn't be surprised if a mfr offers an enclosure in the $500 range. Can't wait to see underwater footage from either cam!