Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • @vicharris More reassurance... thank you!

Also I agree, the shot with the girl with the dark curly hair looks about the best to my eyes (but they all look great). And, your prores grabs look head and shoulders better than prores stuff coming out of the small cam right now.

And thanks for the input on the monitioring! I'll keep that in mind and put the advice to good use when I join the BMCC party :)

• @Wilbo You won't be sorry you dropped your Pocket Cam order for this one I think. If I could have just one, I'd prob have the 2.5 just to have that option if I get in a bad lighting situation. But honestly, the ProResHQ at 13 stops is more than I'll ever need for the time being.

As far as the grades. yeah, the lighter ones are nice. I thought that little girl just looked to pissed off, I wanted to make a darker grade just for shits and giggles. These are me just fooling around. If anything, I imagine the girl with the dark curly hair might be the closest to the look we might want in the end, but I'm not the big boss so what the boss wants, the boss gets! :)

And as for advice, don't trust external monitors on this thing. If you record film log, most external monitors only see Rec709 so all your scopes will be off. I thought I was clipping all over the place and Kholi told me to chill and we were ok. Oh, by the way, it's not like I was using a bottom end monitor. I have a $1000 Ikan monitor with a full range of scopes on it.

• @kazuo Awesome, someone agrees with me! Thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to drop my BMPCC preorder and hop on the BMCC mft bandwagon :)

@vicharris Great looking shots (I particularly like the lighter graded shots)! Thanks for keeping us up to date on your early progress with your camera... are there any super secret pointers BMCC newbs should know that @kholi shared with you that you can share with us???

-Will :)

• So we just finished our first commercial shoot with the BMCC. Actually we had 3 of them on set! :) First, I'd just like to thank Kholi and his crew for all the help and showing me the ropes on these cameras. He was my DP and he brought a great swing and sound guy! Here's a couple quick grabs with a couple different looks on them. Nothing fancy or crazy, I just wanted to get a couple stills for some of the actors so they could put them up on whatever social media sites they want to. All I have to say is this camera is a gem to shoot with and even easier to grade. All these were done with tow nodes. First just some gamma, lift, saturation and contrast stuff (very basic) and one of Shians CG luts, the dense one added in another node. Fun times are around us gents.

Shot on ProRes using all Rokinon Cine glass. 16mm(which is better than the Tokina11-16), 24mm, 35mm and 85mm.

Brynn_1.3.1.jpg
    1440 x 810 - 148K
    Naiti_1.7.1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Danielle_1.9.1.jpg
    1440 x 810 - 159K
    Lexi_1.2.1.jpg
    1440 x 810 - 188K
  • Finally, i am late to the game, but bit the bullet and got my mft 2.5k. Considering everything said here, 2.5k seems the most equitable for the price point. 4k resolution may or may not have the same DR and sharpness as 2.5k, and honestly, for some reason, footage from the Pocket hasn't quite blown me away. I thought I was the only one who saw a difference between the big and small cameras, but apparently, others like @Wilbo have noticed it too. 2.5k BMCC is by no means a perfect camera, but for under $2k, this is probably one of the best things money can buy.

@Wilbo Trash the little guy, go for the real thang!

• @vicharris " I actually need to go lower." Vic, what needs to go lower?

Print out the pdf: http://176.32.230.28/ocon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Rod-Standards.pdf measure the 85mm height markings to make sure your printer hasn't changed the dimensions. cut out the holes and line it up on your rods/lens mount. Then you'll need to see if your rods need to go up or down and by how much.

LWS or light weight support is what every Arri 16mm and Aaton 16mm cam had for "on board rods" and it always worked and lined up, no matter if the matte box was from Chroszeil, Arri or even Petroff. It's the standard. The problem today is most manufacturers have no idea that there even is a standard. A DSLR is not made to this standard and a company making a baseplate doesn't know what camera (lens height) you are going to put on there.

There are a few baseplates that are adjustable (Lanparte makes one) or you could use a small riser (Zacuto makes one or try one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5563-REG/Manfrotto_394_394_Low_Profile_Quick.html ), or if nothing else works and you just always need a battery grip under your DSLR you could look for an adjustable height matte box. Red Rock Micro makes a big one (although is goes lower more than it goes higher), Shoot35 makes one (I believe) and I am sure there are others.

Point is, get your camera and rods to conform to the standard, and any mattebox you buy or rent from Chroszeil, Arri, Petroff (and probably a bunch of others) will work great and I bet your follow focus will reach your lens with a zip gear on it better too.

Possible solutions (I do not have any 1st hand experience with any of these products):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSPRO-US-Camera-Mount-15mm-Rod-Support-5-Quick-Release-Resettable-Head-Screws-/281148330244?ViewItem=&item=281148330244&nma=true&si=mFvACJgwS9WFJ%252F5cLw566Uw5LRk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSPRO-US-Camera-Mount-with-15mm-Rod-Support-and-Black-Resettable-Head-Screws-/271200906687?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f24d56dbf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSLR-15mm-Rod-Rail-Support-Baseplate-Mount-For-Handle-Follow-Focus-5D2-5D3-GH1-/271257936231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f283ba167

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lanparte-Aluminum-alloy-High-Riser-Baseplate-15mm-Support-Rail-fr-Follow-Focus-/360718795647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fc84037f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DP500-Rrail-Rod-support-system-Quick-Release-Plate-15mm-for-DSLR-Camera/321185438170?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D577833554920047206%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D281148330244%26

• @MRfanny Yeah, the full version of Resolve (+free upgrade to version 10) is also very enticing :)

• @rockroadpix - Oh, very good points indeed. Glad to hear you're pretty satisfied with what you have so far. I just may jump ship to the BMCC in the next few days, although I don't think I can afford to drop another $3k to kit it out like yourself :)

Thanks for the input! And your footage stills look even nicer now that I know they were hand held!

-Will

• @rockroadpix Brawley had a preference for more DR over 4k res. I wouldn't mistake that for "unfavourable". Horses for courses. 2k for the BMCC is a steal though, especialy with resolve =)

• @Wilbo - Thanks, I was just trying to grab what I could without a tripod! I had the BMCC4K on order, but dropped it like a rock when the $1995 price was announced. The "news" coming from BM just wasn't sitting right with me. I know they'll produce a nice cam, but if John Brawley is not saying favorable things about the 4k's DR as opposed to the 2.5k's, then... well, you get my drift. My cam is completely kitted out for around $5000. That includes B&H's 2 yr drops/spills warranty. Imagine that price point on top of a $4000 camera. I have no regrets as of yet, as I am still learning the camera, but I love what I see so far.

• That's a crazy looking fish! @rockroadpix Really those screen grabs look super sharp and solid...

Okay quick question for everyone that that has the BMCC EF or MFT already. Does anyone have any regrets thus far?

I'm only asking because I have a BMPCC on preorder and although the videos so far have been promising, nothing has blown my socks off like the BMCC. I'm super duper tempted to drop that little guy and go for the BMCC.

I would really love the non-functional MFT version for the adaptability, but would hate not being able to use my canon lenses with IS. I would love the EF version to use my Canon lenses but then lose the versatility of the mount and won't be able to get a Speedbooster down the line.

The BMPCC would be cheap, and with coming Speedbooster, I will be able to finally use my Canon glass effectively again at an even brighter f-stop... But nothing on the BMPCC seems to look as nice yet.

I am so torn. Help!

• This was around 10-11MM on my Sigma- Again, graded Raw...

Wide Beach.jpg
    2400 x 1350 - 1M
  • I got my MFT version on Friday. I tested on Saturday for a bit and played around (as best as I could) with the results in post. @matt_gh2 - I don't think the crop is all that bad. I have a Sigma 10-20 f3.5 and I think it's a great lens for the cam.

Here's a frame from my first shot on Saturday... The roof trim is a little blown, but it was my first try with Raw. This is the graded version. It's amazing what you can retrieve as the sky was pretty hot, if it were a DSLR shot, there would have been no detail in clouds etc or blue, for that matter...

Graded.jpg
    2400 x 1350 - 1M
  • @CFreak Huh?

That isn't the problem. I actually need to go lower. All of my risers are too high. If you look at the BMCC baseplates, they are pretty low profile since the mount is so much higher than GH2s. No concern. I just don't have the right gear.

• @vicharris Link to industry standard lens height template: http://www.ocon.com/inspiration/labs/rod-standards-explained/

How does it measure up on this chart...? Is the optical center greater than 85mm on the BMCC mft version? That would suck...!

• UK distributor has/will be receiving free stock of the MFT version so anybody looking for one should order from one of the distributors asap. I have via 3d broadcast and apparently it may arrive tomorrow xD

• @vicharris Yeah, I kinda figured RAW is the way to go. With relatively cheap memory and quick computers these days, I always like to max out with image quality. I figured we'd be looking at some extras when it comes to rigs/accessories. Best of luck with mastering the cam, I'm sure you'll have it down in no time.

• @matt_gh2 Well to be honest, some banding/ rolling noise lines have popped up on me. Saw it in some test ProRes stuff I shot last night. I can't get it to appear in RAW yet and I know there's been problems with this in the past but thought they had it worked out. Faulty sensor stuff. It's really bad in all underexposed areas in Prores down to 400asa where it disappears but I am doing a lens cap test so it's all underexposed the same. I'm going to get with Kholi about it and see if it's normal. If so, I'd say ProRes in tough lighting situations might be a no go but why wouldn't one shoot RAW in tough lighting conditions anyway? Right? Don't get me wrong, I love what you can do to the image in post even in ProRes but to be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing right now with this camera compared to many other talented people on this board :) So take everything I saw with a grain of salt, or just ignore me completely! One thing I've found out is non of my baseplates/risers work with it. They are all rest the camera too high for my mattebox. There's another $300 :)

• @vicharris @all Any first impressions with the BMCC or are you still ramping up on learning everything? I'm happy with my GH2 for the film I'm doing now, but a possible film I may do in 6 months requires more precise and controlled images, and I thought the BMCC might be able to do that given the better DR and 2.5K. Price cut to $1995 is pretty sweet. (I think I've seen crop calculated to be 2.3, and wondered if that's what it turned out to actually be once you slapped the lenses on.) Tempting at $1995. By time I get to that other film, maybe price will drop again hopefully! Curious how my Lomo 50mm and 28mm lenses will play with it.

• BTW, Just got the Rokinon 16mm F2 in and will use it next week for a shoot. Hopefully it will perform better than the Tokina 11-16 that some people are reporting problems with.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev You really don't think a little emotion is valid when someone is investing in this camera with thousands of dollars and this non active mft mount thing has been described over and over and over and over again in every forum, on every website, in every interview for every BM camera out there? :-) Come on, just a little? I'm doing better though! ;-)

• @vicharris

Less emotions, please :-) Not everyone understand that if you turn focus rings on m43 lenses all it is doing is transmitting signal to controller and to camera and it adjusts focus :-)

• Oh good god! Really?......Really? Yes this will sound harsh but how did you buy this camera and not know that? I just don't get it. Did someone tell you to buy it? I researched this camera for a year before I boitught it and I still don't know what I'm doing with it. I'm hiring kholi to show me how to work with it actually. Did you do any research about this camera? I think you might be in over your head here man.

• @sammy lenses that require electronic controls will not work with this camera. So most panasonic and oylmpus glass won't work. Try stuff from Vöightlander or SLR Magic. You can also adapt a wide variety of classic glass.

You can probably sell your lens for $400-$600.